• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I finally got around to doing the C19 mod. I know not everyone likes removing it/putting a different value in, but for me it was a "Why The heck did I not do this 18 months ago?" moment.

Red 1 now completely takes care of the EQ/voicing issues I have had with Green crunch. Much better matchup for my speakers/cab and guitars/pickups. Reverb on channel two also sounds much better/clearer/more pronounced.

But the thing that surprised me most is the Red channel became MUCH less hissy and noisy. Before when I switched from Green to Red,the hiss on the Red channel was like I kicked on 4 separate chorus pedals and it would usually howl/feedback (in a bad way). Now Red is right there with the Green channel for (lack of) noise.FWIW, I run the master generally at noon, so it's pushing some air and (2x G12M) speakers.

Thats all it takes with this amp...glad you like it.

jeffb

Reaction score
So at loud volume you can tell huh? dont know why some say its only in the circuit at low volumes

I can hear a significant difference before and after the mod at up to 1 oclock-ish on the mv. If its out of the circuit it's at volumes higher than that. Ive only had the amp up at 2 oclock or higher when I was testing attenuators and I never bothered with the red channel because it would feedback/howl when pushed that hard with my setup.

It's like I got a new amp, AFAIC.

jeffb

Reaction score
I am also running mine through a 2x12 EVH cab, not the combo cab. Much more thumpy.

Michaeld13

Reaction score
Not sure if this was directed at me, but I'll put in my $.02...

It is definitely a massive challenge for all members of the band, because Van Halen is comprised of insanely talented musicians who practically grew up playing music together, so they're so incredibly tight. Add to that, either DLR or Hagar vocals, and it's pretty much a seemingly impossible venture.

However...

As a guitar player I am more obsessed with capturing Ed's feeling than I am on note-for-note regurgitations of his songs. Don't get me wrong, I also want to get the notes and timing as close as possible, - as impossibly hard as that is - but in Ed's own words: "if it sounds good, then it is good!" ;) Our bass player is completely obsessed with Michael Anthony, and our drummer - although not hugely influenced by AVH - is a real solid player, and it all just really seems to work well. We're still looking for the right singer because, lets face it, this shit ain't easy for anyone to pull off - but ESPECIALLY vocally. Given all that, we're not striving for perfection, we just want to have fun blasting out some kick-ass VH for people!

Last night the singer we were auditioning complimented me on my guitar sound ( thanks, DSL40C!!), and my playing - which really felt good considering how much time I've spent agonizing over this stuff... lol! He just kept saying "you guys are fantastic, this sounds fantastic". We're not fishing for compliments or anything, but we were all quite flattered. That still doesn't guarantee him the job, though lol!!

We're still in the infancy stage with this project, and have quite a way to go before we're out there gigging, but at some point I'll try to get some audio or video up for you guys to check out. Not promising anything though :p

Anyhoo, I don't want to get too far off topic here. I'll definitely try to post some samples of the DSL40c kicking out some VH-ish tones soon... ;)

Cheers!

5150 (Joel)
No doubt that has to be a super hard challenge but has to be so much fun! I wish I was in your shoes trying to pull it off. I just found out I have been playing Hot For Teacher intro wrong for like forever. Now it's even harder :-0 !!! I thin you said you have the 5150 pedal? If so have you tried that on the clean channel?

Michaeld13

Reaction score
Can you all take a look at my multimeter pic? From what I can tell it should be set where it is... "DCV 200m" - I finally got the clips to attach to the test points, so I'm ready to go to check mine this weekend- just want to make sure it's set correctly before I begin. Any insight would be appreciated! This is the Habor Freight meter that I think many might have- it's a freebie with coupons if you are familiar with them...

Just to update this- 200m was definitely the right setting (verified in the amp bias vid on youtube as well) and the meter I showed worked great. Also my amp was spot on at 37m on both test points! So good to go :)

Michaeld13

Reaction score
still high though lower it and see if the red warms up some

I thought that was an ideal number. What would you suggest? I can't recall what ranges owners found they liked. I think Solarburn is around that number on his.

EricDunno

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've posted here before, although I usually read your stuff and don't really comment at all... I'm not trying to be the guy who asks what has alredy been answered, however, I'd really love to know what is the most essential thing to be warned about when capping the C19.

I'm 22 and I've never had any experience with these kinda stuff but I usually spend my days finding more information about the dsl40c (it's been a year today since I got it! :D) and to read all these mods and bias you guys do and not be able to do it --- it's like having Carmen Electra in my room and tell her to sleep on the couch.

Therefore, I'd love to open it and give it a try, thing is: I read so many times that the circuit contains lethal amounts of charged electricity and that the unexperienced people should handle it to a tech that I thought I could ask you guys what are the most essential parts to be care about, I mean, we DO have to grab it somewhere right?

Here in Portugal, I'm not aware of many guitar amp techs and this shrillness is killing my ears.
"Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only Hope".

Straydog

Reaction score
In my DSL40C I hated the stock speaker and changed it to a Creamback. Though it was better something was still missing. I thought about the c-19 mod but didn't want to be clipping things so I changed the speaker again. This time to a Mesa Boogie Black Shadow. At first it sounded pretty darn good. But as time went by something was still amiss. I went to Craigslist and found a "homemade" 1x12 cabinet with a Carvin 16 ohm 100w speaker. Running the cabinet with the internal Black Shadow is a great combination! They should make a DSL 40c with TWO 12 inchers! I can only imagine what it would sound like with a really well made cabinet with a great speaker in it! Maybe someday I will find out...LOL

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that was an ideal number. What would you suggest? I can't recall what ranges owners found they liked. I think Solarburn is around that number on his.

I run mine at 36mv. I have gone from 33mv to 38mv and found I liked as much as I could tell across all voicings 36mv did it with the stock 34's. Which is where the bias was originally. Happy accident by Marshall.LOL

Put it where your ears like it most. Too high the power tubes will red plate. Too low and it gets stiff and brittle but won't blow glass and resistor's like running it too hot. Stay under 40mv.

Michaeld13

Reaction score
Hmmm does one or two MV one way or another make an audible difference? I've never experimented with bias before. I assume you have it on and opened up tweak and play tweak and play...?

ken361

Reaction score
I have one of the best tech's in Michigan he works on everybodys amps and always recommended!! He biased mine at 30 I was what?? He said leave it there you don't need it any higher. its all pretty much preamp distortion. Going higher like 37 just burns tubes , creates more heat in the chassis and causes more problems that keeps him in business!

He put the amp on a scope so you an see how the distortion is reacting so you wont have cross over distortion! When I got the back and was still using a Stratocaster at the time I did have humbuckers a few months before that and put a newer speaker same brand though it sounded pretty much the same as the higher bias setting so I left it

Now I'm back with humbuckers with 20 hrs on the speaker the amp has more low end and warmth then before! Little more sag also! Still breaking up as good with the lower bias! Seems more ballsy too. Not as bright and I'm using less bass on 2 humbucker guitars. Look up Dean Zink and ask him your self maybe he can explain it better. High bias is more brittle on our amps and some others not all!!!

Last edited:

ken361

Reaction score
I'm interested! I didn't go back and forth to listen to high and low settings but I like what I'm hearing now:)

Bownse

Reaction score
They should make a DSL 40c with TWO 12 inchers! I can only imagine what it would sound like with a really well made cabinet with a great speaker in it! Maybe someday I will find out...LOL

Sounds pretty sweet!

DSL40Mod1.jpg

thebowl

Reaction score
I finally got aeround to trying to bias my DSL 40C, which I have owned for a couple of years. Purchased lightly used, and I have a JBL D120F in it. I had trouble getting any reading from either post, to the point that I went out and got a new multi-meter, thinking that there must be a problem with mine. Eventually, I got readings from the right post, at around 25-26, which I moved up to 38. My problem is, I can't get any reading at all from the left post; nothing. Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there any fix apart frrom taking the board up and checking the connection on the bottom? I obviously want to get them matched up. Thanks!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm does one or two MV one way or another make an audible difference? I've never experimented with bias before. I assume you have it on and opened up tweak and play tweak and play...?

I use to set bias at idle and then play it with my DSL50 head. Got to know it very well. Back and forth. Learned how bias can change tone and feel.

With the DSL40 I just set where my ears like it and where I feel best response is. My bias may change using different power tubes. But I know where the zone is. As long as my ears dig it and tactile response is good I don't mess with it after that. I do check it periodically for bias drift. Tubes can be inconsistent new or not.

Last edited:

ken361

Reaction score
I finally got aeround to trying to bias my DSL 40C, which I have owned for a couple of years. Purchased lightly used, and I have a JBL D120F in it. I had trouble getting any reading from either post, to the point that I went out and got a new multi-meter, thinking that there must be a problem with mine. Eventually, I got readings from the right post, at around 25-26, which I moved up to 38. My problem is, I can't get any reading at all from the left post; nothing. Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there any fix apart frrom taking the board up and checking the connection on the bottom? I obviously want to get them matched up. Thanks!
Could be a bad tube I'm not sure, I did have one that caused a hum I could not bias it pass 24 so I trashed it