The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
So atm, here is where I'm at:
Clean channel - anything
Crunch channel - modulation in the loop - wah (distortion/OD/boost) in front of the amp.
Lead 1 and 2 - (modulation in the series FX loop) wah in front of the amp. No distortion/OD/boost

For really tight metal rhythms, I like running OD2 at a gain of 2, and running a Fulltone OCD at around 3 o'clock on the volume, gain all the way down, and the tone around 3 o'clock. I dime the mids and punch in the "tone shift," which gives it a nice scooped sound without sacrificing so broad a range of frequencies as to sound thin or indistinct. From there, it's all fun and drop-D shenanigans.

Flyingv4me

Reaction score
Nah. It won't do anywhere close to a plexi. MV amps will never sound like NMV Marshalls. But with proper cab and tubes, you can get green crunch kinda sorta close to an old JMP 2204.

An old JAN/GE 5751 in the PI helps alot.

It all depends on the master volume. If you are talking about the factory master volumes by Marshall....all of those pretty much suck. If you are talking a dual gang pot Post Phase Inverter Tube Master volume your results are totally different. LOTS of JMP's were converted to a PPIV Master Volume and sound incredible without losing ANY of the sound of the JMP.

Bill Fetter

Reaction score
For really tight metal rhythms, I like running OD2 at a gain of 2, and running a Fulltone OCD at around 3 o'clock on the volume, gain all the way down, and the tone around 3 o'clock. I dime the mids and punch in the "tone shift," which gives it a nice scooped sound without sacrificing so broad a range of frequencies as to sound thin or indistinct. From there, it's all fun and drop-D shenanigans.

I'll give that tone recipe a shot. I don't have an OCD, so perhaps an MXR Super Badass Variac at the gain at 2 and 3 o'clock on the volume.

Last edited:

Bownse

Reaction score
If looking at distortion pedals, someone here turned me on to the SAS and I've been really happy with it.

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
It all depends on the master volume. If you are talking about the factory master volumes by Marshall....all of those pretty much suck. If you are talking a dual gang pot Post Phase Inverter Tube Master volume your results are totally different. LOTS of JMP's were converted to a PPIV Master Volume and sound incredible without losing ANY of the sound of the JMP.

I was specifically talking about comparing stock MVs to a stock NMV amp...e.g.2204 to a 1987.

Personally I think the PI,speakers and VOLUME @re more key to "the plexi sound" in most marshall amps than the circuit. People are hearing jacked up low watt speakers and a power section screaming for mercy.

Bill Fetter

Reaction score
I think I'll get a pair of these for my dsl40c
Though I have the DSL15C and somewhat becoming disappointed in the beginning with the "ultra gain" channel.... Boy, I was wrong! It took some major EQ-ing and keep it under 7.5 watts, I was finding the sweet spots compare to the full power setting of the amp.... I'm keeping it stock.

Tone-wise, I was able to find close to Rudolf Schenker's tone on Savage Amusement album.. even at lower volume, it is still there... Or Death Angel's "Act III" tone.

For this, I shall never question the mythos of Jim Marshall as long as I live.

I have a Celestion G12 in my Fender Mustang III and I love the way it handles bass.

I've noticed that the stock speaker on my DSL40C will double and choke at certain settings with pedals. Sounds like when you push your chin tight against your chest and speak.

I could be doing something stupid, but I've never had that happen with the G12-75 on the Mustang III vers. 2.2

BTW - sorry for the position of my posts. I was using my cell phone... I think I have it sorted now.

Last edited:

Bill Fetter

Reaction score
To remove the C19 cap makes all the difference in the world!
The OD2 mode on the 2nd channel was pretty much unusable for me as it came from the factory. It may be fine for some as it is stock, but I can only imagine extreme metal being played on hi-gain pointy guitars by angry young punks. (no disrespect) Lots of gain is putting it mildly...

It is a pretty easy mod, I did it without removing the main PC board. Here is a photo:
DSCN4177-L.jpg

I basically just touched a lo-powered soldering pencil (33 watts) to one leg and pried up the cap. It will be easy to return it to stock if needed. Here is another photo:
DSCN4187-L.jpg

The OD2 mode on the Ultra Gain channel is now my go-to mode for a boost even though I don't play lead. It has a ballsy feel to it now rather than a fizzy buzz.

Not meant to offend but I just bring down the treble a tad and everything seems to shape up ok. That way my two-year Sweetwater coverage is still intact and I have the extra high end if I want to remove the wallpaper in the dining room!

Bill Fetter

Reaction score
yeah, unfortunately there's no where to test these amps out where I live. but based on clips Ive heard, i like the dsl the best

I just pulled the trigger on the DSL40C and I love it. I might change the speaker out to a GT12/75 one day but no problem with the 12" stock Celestion. I bought a JCM2000, DLS40 years ago and didn't use it much because I could not get the sound I wanted at lower levels. I love the sound of the EL34s over the EL84s anyway.

After about two weeks of testing, I'm amazed at how easy it was to tame this animal to produce some really wild sounds.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Not meant to offend but I just bring down the treble a tad and everything seems to shape up ok. That way my two-year Sweetwater coverage is still intact and I have the extra high end if I want to remove the wallpaper in the dining room!
There are a lot of people (members) here that love the stock speaker. Many also choose not to mod the amp at all, as it meets their needs just fine. I am so glad you finally found an amp you can fall in love with. I did when they first came out and I still love mine.

Bill Fetter

Reaction score
There are a lot of people (members) here that love the stock speaker. Many also choose not to mod the amp at all, as it meets their needs just fine. I am so glad you finally found an amp you can fall in love with. I did when they first came out and I still love mine.

Thanks for your understanding. I worked for Heathkit/Veritechnology for 11 years in the 70s (if you're old enough to remember them). In those days we would mod everything because the bulk of circuits used discrete components. I had a bud that played string bass for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and he was modifying a pair of Quads!! ... it was nuts!

Rick Lee

Reaction score
I have a Seismic 2x12 I've used at band practice and kept at the practice space for years. It has a pair of G12T-75s and has tons of hours of band volume playing through it. So I took one of those speakers and put it in my DSL40C and then that new 70/80 speaker into the 2x12 cab. That way, once my band stuff ramps up again, that new speaker will be get broken in well and quickly. After that I may throw it back into the DSL40C and see how it sounds. For now I love the way the 75 sounds in there and have no use for the 2x12, so I don't care what's in it.

Bill Fetter

Reaction score
Right - I have that Celestion speaker in my Fender Mustang III vers 2.2 and it has a really sweet feel.

Dmann

Reaction score
I still never understood buying an amp to instantly change the speaker, change the tubes, clip some components, then use pedals up front. Just get a solidstate clean amp head lol would have saved you tons of money and time and give you the same tone in the end.

johnnytuinals

Reaction score
Just got my New DSL40c today from Amazon for $381.at that price I thought why not..Looking on the Box it has a Date 09/17 and that long trip to the states....Wondering since these might have been the last DSL40s being made,,I was wondering were these inproved from the earlier DSL40s from the last few years?...………………..JT

Bill Fetter

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think yht DSL40C followed the JVM2000 DSL401. I had the 401 but was not too keen on the sound of the EL84 power tubes and the insane volume!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got my New DSL40c today from Amazon for $381.at that price I thought why not..Looking on the Box it has a Date 09/17 and that long trip to the states....Wondering since these might have been the last DSL40s being made,,I was wondering were these inproved from the earlier DSL40s from the last few years?...………………..JT
They are all the same, no revisions or board/design changes.

ken361

Reaction score
ok DSL40C owners. I know I will garner a lot of disdain for making this request and not only because there are a lot of variables involved. Speaker & cab type at this point are not of interest. Neither are pedals or pick up specs.
If, in your opinion you are able to get your DSL40C to sound like a " plexi " or a close proximity thereof would you mind telling me what channels / settings on the amp you are using?
With Humbucker & Single coils.
Thanks for your help.
BP
This your ride?:) hope u have facebook

Latest posts