The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MemphisMarshallMan

Reaction score
I switched out the speaker in my new DSL40c (sweetwater deal) again. I originally swapped the 70/80 speaker for a Vintage 30 and that was an excellent upgrade. But just for giggles I ordered a Creamback Neo 65.
When it came in I put it in the DSL40c and it sounded really smooth. I then took it out and mounted it and the original 70/80 speaker in a 2x12 cab and played the EarCandy 'speaker break-in CD' through them overnight.
Both of those speakers sound SO much better after being properly broken in. I would say they each sound 30% or more better than before.
Even the stock 70/80 speaker was pretty good after breaking it in.
I still went with the Creamback Neo in the amp because of the weight savings of about 6 lbs...but thats a little over 10% the total weight of the amp so for me it was worth it.

Bucky Berg

Reaction score
New DSL40C owner here. I got one from Sweetwater blowout. Paid about $370. After a week of rehearsals I put an Eminence CV-75 in it and an old Peavey Sheffield 1x12 cab. Just did a short tour with both. Really happy with tone. Use mostly red channel L1 with gain around noon or a little less. Play old school prog & metal. Use an OCD in front for mid solo, but with gain rolled off. Use a Soul Food after the OCD with gain about 3/4 pegged. Both together blows the Marshall into that super saturated zone.

A punk band opened for us Saturday. Due had a modded plexi 100w pegged. Luckily he had a kill switch on his LP. But even when he was slamming there was feedback at times. DSL goes there but much more controllable.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
New DSL40C owner here. I got one from Sweetwater blowout. Paid about $370. After a week of rehearsals I put an Eminence CV-75 in it and an old Peavey Sheffield 1x12 cab. Just did a short tour with both. Really happy with tone. Use mostly red channel L1 with gain around noon or a little less. Play old school prog & metal. Use an OCD in front for mid solo, but with gain rolled off. Use a Soul Food after the OCD with gain about 3/4 pegged. Both together blows the Marshall into that super saturated zone.

A punk band opened for us Saturday. Due had a modded plexi 100w pegged. Luckily he had a kill switch on his LP. But even when he was slamming there was feedback at times. DSL goes there but much more controllable.
Good to hear - this is an awesome amp for the money.

So you ran it as a 2x12? I’m in the process of rebuilding a 1x12 to go with the DSL40C. I have the Creamback in the combo and plan on using a V-Type in the extension cab. Anxiius to see if get similar results.

keno beenz

Reaction score
Just got my DSL40c 2 weeks ago ,went with Tung sol gold pin V1 JJ12ax7 V2 stock V3 and 1956 RCA long plate in the PI ,went with Groove tube E34Ls for power tubes ,swapped 70/80 for celestion 75watt cream back ..and wow...I may do the d19 mod here soon as well but I was very impressed when it was stock ,now Im blown away ..can it get even better ?? lwt me know what Im missing

Bucky Berg

Reaction score
Good to hear - this is an awesome amp for the money.

So you ran it as a 2x12? I’m in the process of rebuilding a 1x12 to go with the DSL40C. I have the Creamback in the combo and plan on using a V-Type in the extension cab. Anxiius to see if get similar results.
Yeah, have been running it as a 2x12. This Friday will be its first gig as a 1x12. Haven't rolled any tubes, yet.

ken361

Reaction score
Just got my DSL40c 2 weeks ago ,went with Tung sol gold pin V1 JJ12ax7 V2 stock V3 and 1956 RCA long plate in the PI ,went with Groove tube E34Ls for power tubes ,swapped 70/80 for celestion 75watt cream back ..and wow...I may do the d19 mod here soon as well but I was very impressed when it was stock ,now Im blown away ..can it get even better ?? lwt me know what Im missing
set the bias to 32 most love it better that way at 60% dissipation chances are the factory is set too hot some reported as high 52:(

MarshallDog

Reaction score

This is for solar and ken361, a little DSL40C noise , this is my grandson and I . Recorded with a Iphone

Wow man, sounds great!!! Throw some bass in there and make up some lyrics and you have a catchy tune!!!! Your Grandson is good on the drums. That must be so cool to play with him?!

ken361

Reaction score
Just throw some drum fills in with toms and some rolls I learned from Peart,Bonham,Moon and jazz drumming

Latest posts