The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I love your tone. Very tasteful. Reminds me of classic Priest. Does the MXR 10-band EQ make a big difference?
Thank you SS, yes it’s the only thing I am using to run both amps, I like it so much that when I play the origin it is plugged in with the SD1, the dsl40c’s don’t really need the SD1, and my volume wasn’t even at 1, and that’s the red 1 channel, with gain at 3, ! Cheers Mitch

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Thank you SS, yes it’s the only thing I am using to run both amps, I like it so much that when I play the origin it is plugged in with the SD1, the dsl40c’s don’t really need the SD1, and my volume wasn’t even at 1, and that’s the red 1 channel, with gain at 3, ! Cheers Mitch
You sound like you’re not using a whole lot of gain. I really like that classic tone. You always sound good through the DSL40C.

Last edited:

truckdub

Reaction score
I just replaced the original 70/80 with a Weber 65watt Silverbell. My god what a difference! Smooth top and bottom but still with punch and chime. Just a lot more present. Sounds awesome!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
You sound like you’re not using a whole lot of gain. I really like that classic tone. You always sound good through the DSL40C.
Thanks again brother, it took me some time to get it, and when I need more punch, I turn the mosfet on, that lead 100 mosfet really amps it up a notch! Cheers to the next one! Mitch

dave999z

Reaction score
Hey all,

I haven’t played through my DSL40 in a few months. Plugged it in and I’m getting like a static sound in the background as I hit hard chords. Both channels, both modes.

Used a different instrument cable, guitar straight into amp.

Used a different guitar.

Rolled a different preamp tube through v1-v4, and a different power tube through both positions, and that didn’t solve it.

Uggh.

If anyone has any thoughts on anything else to try, I’d appreciate it. I can solder, though not looking to die discharging a cap through my being.

Thanks.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I haven’t played through my DSL40 in a few months. Plugged it in and I’m getting like a static sound in the background as I hit hard chords. Both channels, both modes.

Used a different guitar.

Rolled a different preamp tube through v1-v4, and a different power tube through both positions, and that didn’t solve it.

Uggh.

If anyone has any thoughts on anything else to try, I’d appreciate it. I can solder, though not looking to die discharging a cap through my being.

Thanks.
I really can’t help you, you have already tried everything that I would mention! Just for kicks try jumping the fx loop? The only time I heard static in one of mine it was power tubes! Good luck

AlanH

Reaction score
Hey all,

Used a different guitar.

Uggh.

Thanks.

Could it just be the normal background hiss that you're now not used to (having not played it for a while)? If it is a crackly sound rather than a hiss I'm also just wondering if you've stored it anywhere cold and damp over winter and some contact cleaner is required somewhere...

dave999z

Reaction score
Could it just be the normal background hiss that you're now not used to (having not played it for a while)? If it is a crackly sound rather than a hiss I'm also just wondering if you've stored it anywhere cold and damp over winter and some contact cleaner is required somewhere...

Hey, it’s def a crackle, not usual background hiss. Happens even on green clean, which has no background hiss. Actually sounds like when a guitar pot or 5-way pickup selector could use some contact cleaner. Good suggestion. I’ll mess around with it and see if I can tell whether any specific pot may be the culprit. Thanks.

CincyPaul

Reaction score
Recorded a new song using this amp... I mic'ed the DLS40c while playing the Fender Telecaster, Fender Duo-Sonic, Fender Stratocaster, and my own custom-made guitar. The Fender P-bass, acoustic, and keys was recorded directly into the audio interface. Hope you like:

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Recorded a new song using this amp... I mic'ed the DLS40c while playing the Fender Telecaster, Fender Duo-Sonic, Fender Stratocaster, and my own custom-made guitar. The Fender P-bass, acoustic, and keys was recorded directly into the audio interface. Hope you like:

Very Very cool, never got predictable, tight playing and timing on all accounts, nice tones on the dirty guitar as well! Cheers Mitch

ken361

Reaction score

I was thinking about getting one of those for recording it probably sounds better then my M Audio Mobile Pre

Toothyfish

Reaction score
Way behind on reading everything but thanks for C19 tip. WOW! Never realized the possibility till I cranked channel one with the Crunch button in and a clean boost. Then switched to Channel 2 and it really sounded thin and fuzzy.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way behind on reading everything but thanks for C19 tip. WOW! Never realized the possibility till I cranked channel one with the Crunch button in and a clean boost. Then switched to Channel 2 and it really sounded thin and fuzzy.

:welcome: to the forum

Cheers :cheers:

steveb63

Reaction score
Feel like I've been neglecting my DSL.

A quick update: plugged my new Friedman BE-OD Deluxe into the front end of the DSL.

Wow, wicked tone on the green channel, and lowered gain on the red was a little hairy for me, but that green channel. Evil - but in a really cool way, turns it into a poor man's BE.

Steve

Jon C

Reaction score
@Toothyfish Here's a recap I had shared with a member here on a version of The C19 Mod ……

This is the DSL40C C19 Option Mod…… Here's a few shots
Mini Toggle installed above Lead1/Lead2 Button

Stock capacitor ( C19 ) gets snipped
Before ( C19 is a small yellow poly Cap near the pots )

And After ( showing my installed assembly )

The Red Channel is the only thing affected
C19 is a Treble Bleed Capacitor
The idea is that the Fizzy sound that we all seem to dislike, helps the guitar cut through the mix with other instruments in a live situation ……
If you turn up the Red Channel Treble Control All of the Way …… the cap does nothing
If you back the Red Channel Treble off then the Capacitor sends most of the treble through the circuit anyway ..
Super noticeable especially at lower volumes ……
Many guys just clip it out altogether which then passes no high frequency other than that the treble pot passes
Here's the more technical part along with some references :
The stock cap (C19) value is 470pF ……Super Fizzy / Tinny
No cap is instantly darker and No Fizz at all …… almost too dark
I and others have found that an in between value of around 100pF is Really Nice for Home Studio/Bedroom levels……
What my DPDT toggle assembly does is give me Options for 440pF / None / 100pF
Here is a close up of the assembly
( note that the supply store had no 450ish range caps so I paralleled two 220pF across one pole and a 100pF across the other …… The voltage values of the caps is not too critical, you don't need 500volts , but 100volt or 50volt are fine)

Last edited: