• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I just spent a good part of the weekend on my Mini Jubilee 2525H and Origin 20H. Had the house to myself. Speaking of the 20H, I did post earlier about good results with MIAB pedals. Ive been using it a lot lately for a pedal base. Xotic SL Drive was the absolute best. But, i went back to my intial settings of pre and master at around 3 o'clock with no pedals and for my ears i still say this is the best tone. Crank it and just use your guitar's controls. This was into either my 2061CX with Heritage Greenbacks or my stock 1960AX 4x12 with 25 watt Greenbacks.

I've never played the 50H but I suspect it would make the better pedal base amp. The 20 watt is just too easy to drive on its own so my thoughts are why complicate it.

steveb63

Reaction score
Well played my Origin all day Sun.

Amp performed flawlessly.

After setting up at our rehearsal space guess what I observed?

My buddy, the other guitarist, was sporting a brand new Origin 20h!

Two of the same amp? We managed to carve out our own space in the freq range- no trampling underfoot!

A great day, hope everyone else 's went just as well.

Steve

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

My buddy, the other guitarist, wad sporting a brand new Origin 20h!

Two of the same amp? We managed to carve out our own space in the freq rsnge- no trampling underfoot!

Steve
I have to say good on your buddy, they are dam fine amps, I have to keep telling myself speakers, or I am going to grab another. :nono: :naughty: And run them in dual mono, with the mxr 10 band eq :naughty:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score

My buddy, the other guitarist, wad sporting a brand new Origin 20h!

Two of the same amp? We managed to carve out our own space in the freq rsnge- no trampling underfoot!

Steve

That sounds like a cool deal. Both sporting Marshall Origins.

What did you guys use speaker and cab wise? Pedals? Volume settings?

I've run all sorts of tests on mine. I still prefer pre and master at around 3 o'clock and mostly straight in.

steveb63

Reaction score
Our settings were very close, I think the big difference was I was going completely clean, volume at noon, or my Friedman BE-OD Deluxe.

He was going semi dirty on amp, volume at 300, or was using his Fulltone Full drive?

Both using 2x12 closed back Greenback loaded.

Just the difference in our styles, I guess?

Steve

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Our settings were very close, I think the big difference was I was going completely clean, volume at noon, or my Friedman BE-OD Deluxe.

He was going semi dirty on amp, volume at 300, or was using his Fulltone Full drive?

Both using 2x12 closed back Greenback loaded.

Just the difference in our styles, I guess?

Steve
Back in the early 80’s the other guitarist in the band was using a 50 watt 4 holer with a master volume mod, and I had the 50 watt MV both amps were JMP’s and we never had a problem being in the same zone, as you said Steve I believe it’s the difference in the way we played. Damm I bet you guys are sounding excellent! Cheers Mitch

steveb63

Reaction score
Back in the early 80’s the other guitarist in the band was using a 50 watt 4 holer with a master volume mod, and I had the 50 watt MV both amps were JMP’s and we never had a problem being in the same zone, as you said Steve I believe it’s the difference in the way we played. Damm I bet you guys are sounding excellent! Cheers Mitch

I don't know how great we were lol. But we have a helluva good time.

I was shocked when I looked over at his rig.

I told him it was like our wives showing up in the same dress.lol

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
That's the thing around my area. It's very rural so you see players using junk as much as anything. Yet this day and time you can get a great sounding Marshall for a round 500 bucks. I would prefer to play with someone using the same amp. Both can give advice and work a cool tone together.

steveb63

Reaction score
Ya,
I'm lucky to have that dude as a partner in crime.

He and I usually discuss gear purchases. He wanted to throw one by me.

He will always save and pony up. He bought our stage p.a. Not wealthy individuals, we are just determined to play nice stuff. No matter how long it takes to save.

Steve

Reaction score
Loving the Origin 20C.... finally got a Marshall again!

Previous 50W and 100W had to go (many years ago) as I could not play either in my old apartment at the "optimal" levels :D .... this was before attenuators and similar devices were widely available.

steveb63

Reaction score

Previous 50W and 100W had to go (many years ago) as I could not play either in my old apartment at the "optimal" levels :D .... this was before attenuators and similar devices were widely available.

Welcome,

You go get optimum on that amp bro.

Great amps, what are you using for speakers?

steveb63

Reaction score
Sorry
Didn't see you had the combo, still probably breaking in that new speaker?

Running any cool pedals with that amp?

Reaction score
Sorry
Didn't see you had the combo, still probably breaking in that new speaker?

Running any cool pedals with that amp?
Thanks for the welcome steveb63!

Yep, breaking in the stock speaker, had it about a week now. Haven't tried pedals in front of it yet as I am loving both the master and gain at 10 for my lead sound and rolling down the guitar volume to dial in the right amount of "broken clean" :)

Last edited:

Msharky67

Reaction score
I am still torn over this vs the SV20. I was looking at some video's of the Origin and I was impressed with it actually. Here are my new points now. Somebody can chime in and offer there thoughts about it. To me the Origin is already setup like how you would use the plexi or want and half the price.

OR20)

1) Low wattage
2) Plexi like
3) FX Loop
4) Tilt already jumped
5) Still have to boost it with a pedal
6) Afforable

SV20

1) LOUD will have to get attenuator on top of $1200.
2) Still have to boost with a pedal
3) Have to jump
4) Expensive plus extras needed to use it properly.

Joe_Easy

Reaction score
I am still torn over this vs the SV20. I was looking at some video's of the Origin and I was impressed with it actually. Here are my new points now. Somebody can chime in and offer there thoughts about it. To me the Origin is already setup like how you would use the plexi or want and half the price.

OR20)

1) Low wattage
2) Plexi like
3) FX Loop
4) Tilt already jumped
5) Still have to boost it with a pedal
6) Afforable

SV20

1) LOUD will have to get attenuator on top of $1200.
2) Still have to boost with a pedal
3) Have to jump
4) Expensive plus extras needed to use it properly.

Both great options, but for me it came down to flexibility and the Origin 20 wins hands down in that respect. Sound is subjective, but I felt confident I would be able to dial in a sound close to what I was looking for with the OG20C and I was right. Swapping out the stock tubes for Premium Groove Tubes got me the rest of the way and it was a relatively in-expensive upgrade.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

:welcome: To the best forum ever my brother, nice amp for sure, full of the Marshall tones and still with money in the pocket! Cheers to you getting back to a Marshall! Mitch

Latest posts