The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

• Thread starter MarshallDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Anyone with experience using a Celestion G12M-70??? I have an old one sitting around and was thinking about trying it in my Origin 50c. Will it give it more bite over a G12H-75 Creamback??

Terry C

Reaction score
Great setup on its own, recently added a Friedman BE OD Deluxe, beautiful sounding distortion, higher gain, so nice with my LP.

It can go really old school sounding, and.or crazy in your face. Really more than a one trick pony.

Apologies on the derail.

Steve
Haven't tried the Friedman with the Origin but used one with my last amp and liked it,a little more gain than I use but a good sound. Played my first show tonight with the Origin after the upgrades and gotta say it was awesome. We play everything from Merle Haggard to Molly Hatchet and the Origin covered all bases. Most of the night I used the Amp by itself,other than a delay or phaser here and there. For the cleaner stuff I used ..Keeley compressor into either a Keeley 1962x or a wampler underdog,one of Brian's first "country" overdrive pedals and it sounded unbelievable but most of the compliments I got was when it was just the guitar plugged straight in.One guy even ask me if that was the new SV 20 ..Again let me say thanks to all y'all for the help and advice. After 25 years of playing I finally got a Marshall......sweet

steveb63

Reaction score
Haven't tried the Friedman with the Origin but used one with my last amp and liked it,a little more gain than I use but a good sound. Played my first show tonight with the Origin after the upgrades and gotta say it was awesome. We play everything from Merle Haggard to Molly Hatchet and the Origin covered all bases. Most of the night I used the Amp by itself,other than a delay or phaser here and there. For the cleaner stuff I used ..Keeley compressor into either a Keeley 1962x or a wampler underdog,one of Brian's first "country" overdrive pedals and it sounded unbelievable but most of the compliments I got was when it was just the guitar plugged straight in.One guy even ask me if that was the new SV 20 ..Again let me say thanks to all y'all for the help and advice. After 25 years of playing I finally got a Marshall......sweet

Glad to hear it working for you bro.

Origin is a great amp, for me very versatile.

I do see one small issue with your rig, if you don't mind my opinion?

You have the vintage flavor, now a JVM?, JCM, a little more modern-day rockin.

Better get to work picking out the next one.

I joke, but there's a little bit of truth in every joke.

Good health and enjoy my friend. Keep us updated on your journey.

Steve

BftGibson

Reaction score
Any experience with eminence Texas heat speakers? The only reason I ask is my buddy offered to give me a set but I don't know anything about um. Greenbacks are by far what every origin owner I've talked to said were the Bee's knee's
here is am up top & brit below..been working on my clean chan a jtm45ish with Bogner LaGrange & putting the Am voicing on top really can change the flavor to big open Am but still crunch..also for recording..i can mic the top if i want big open..this is my "spice" cab lol..its in there.. a lil of this & a lil of that all mixed up for a very full sound. Texas heat is my fav speaker to straiten a fender combo out but it really can be tight in a closed back..the Type A/TH mix sorta does what a GT75/v30 does in American ways,,fills it in from low to high..this combo makes a slight laid back mid but still very much there,,strat heaven
5150 amtop.jpg

Terry C

Reaction score
Glad to hear it working for you bro.

Origin is a great amp, for me very versatile.

I do see one small issue with your rig, if you don't mind my opinion?

You have the vintage flavor, now a JVM?, JCM, a little more modern-day rockin.

Better get to work picking out the next one.

I joke, but there's a little bit of truth in every joke.

Good health and enjoy my friend. Keep us updated on your journey.

Steve
I was actually thinking about the vintage modern amps but I don't know anyone that has had one . JCM 900 is more gain than I would ever use ..Absolutly love the 2061 but that's too much... An 800 would be awesome possibly a 1987 too....anyone tried the SC 800?

steveb63

Reaction score
I was actually thinking about the vintage modern amps but I don't know anyone that has had one . JCM 900 is more gain than I would ever use ..Absolutly love the 2061 but that's too much... An 800 would be awesome possibly a 1987 too....anyone tried the SC 800?

You know a lot of people throw around the "LOL "

I seriously lol'd, not at you bro, just at all of us.

You know what I mean?

Baseballhack

Reaction score
First time posting after getting back into guitar playing after a long break. Love my Origin 50C. Did some preamp tube rolling last night with just what I had on hand. I put a NOS Mullard 12AT7 in the PI, really like the tone even if it is a lower gain tube. Well today I have some tube rattle that is annoying the hell out of me. Thought I isolated it and replaced the tube but it just moved, and now rattles at a different frequency. Ordered some Tungsol and JJ ECC803's for the pre. But now I want a spare set of power tubes. What's everyones recommendations?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
First time posting after getting back into guitar playing after a long break. Love my Origin 50C. Did some preamp tube rolling last night with just what I had on hand. I put a NOS Mullard 12AT7 in the PI, really like the tone even if it is a lower gain tube. Well today I have some tube rattle that is annoying the hell out of me. Thought I isolated it and replaced the tube but it just moved, and now rattles at a different frequency. Ordered some Tungsol and JJ ECC803's for the pre. But now I want a spare set of power tubes. What's everyones recommendations?
I am running ruby power tubes, mullard pres, and will purchase Tung sols as my next set of spares, right now I like what I am hearing! Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Well that all depends.

IMO and experience if you want to brighten her up a bit use EHs, if you want to thicken it a bit use Mullards or Tung-Sols. Tune-Sols will probably give her more low end also. The Perferred Series EL34s should give you a touch more clean headroom. It’s all what you like and based upon your speaker type and guitar obviously. Good luck!

Baseballhack

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Are all of these new manufactured tubes not NOS right?

Well that all depends.

IMO and experience if you want to brighten her up a bit use EHs, if you want to thicken it a bit use Mullards or Tung-Sols. Tune-Sols will probably give her more low end also. The Perferred Series EL34s should give you a touch more clean headroom. It’s all what you like and based upon your speaker type and guitar obviously. Good luck!

Joe_Easy

Reaction score
I'm an Origin 20 owner (no Origin 20 owners thread?), so this might not be so applicable to the Origin 50, but I recently swapped out all the tubes for Groove Tubes (always been a big fan of these) and the improvement is astounding - I used the GT EL34-M mullard clone, with a 12AX7-M (also a mullard clone) in V1, EC83-S in V2 and matched EC83-S in V3. I was already very happy with the amp but suspected a tube upgrade would improve things, and it really did. Beautiful chimey cleans and much smoother/creamier when overdriven.

Last edited:

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
Just got another Origin 50 head! I have them in stereo now; gonna try wet/dry next; using with a 1960a cab.

Also just got my Dirty Shirley pedal back from my buddy!! Super stoked to see how that does with Origin rig..

wGuWRfgh.jpg

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got another Origin 50 head! I have them in stereo now; gonna try wet/dry next; using with a 1960a cab.

Also just got my Dirty Shirley pedal back from my buddy!! Super stoked to see how that does with Origin rig..

wGuWRfgh.jpg
I am trying hard to resist this, because I am trying to make speakers my next purchase, but dammit I am wanting to do the same, (in a sense I am doing it right now with a lead 100 mosfet) but I want to do it with another origin 50H. Dammit

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying hard to resist this, because I am trying to make speakers my next purchase, but dammit I am wanting to do the same, (in a sense I am doing it right now with a lead 100 mosfet) but I want to do it with another origin 50H. Dammit

Leave it to the MF to give you GAS you didnt really know you had.

steveb63

Reaction score

Stay strong my brotha.

On course Capt., just sail dead ahead lol