The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

• Thread starter MarshallDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
To get “that sound” I found that changing tubes and speakers was needed, especially the speaker. The last part was was finding the tilt, gain, master volume and guitar volume settings.

I prefer 2 g12-65m creambacks. 2 v30s also sound good with the les Paul giving it a more modern sound. The v30s produce some frequencies that I don’t hear in the creambacks.

I use 2 mullard reissue el34, biased to 32. I had to turn the trim down after removing the JJ because the mullards were too hot based upon the factory trim setting.

using tung sol 12ax7 in V1 and V2 and a sovteck lps in v3. Spent hours rolling tubes and liked this combo best.

I like tilt at 8-10 on the dial, master volume at 7-8, and gain at 6-7 to get amp breakup. Guitar volume at 6-7 is clean, breaks up at 8. These are all dial settings, not clock time.
I also have 50/60s wiring setup from tone man guitar on all my guitars. So the tome pots actually work.

dialing back the tilt causes me to use the tone pots less and vice a versa. At 5-7 on the tone pots the guitar is plenty bright.

If I’m going to use just pedals for gain, then I’ll pull the gain and master volume back to like 5 to get a purely clean sound and go from there with pedals.

I typically keep guitar volume at 8-9 when I want the most gain.

open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Wow, this is all 99.8% of how I runmy O and guitars. Only difference is I run the tilt at about 6-7 and I have Mullard reissues in all positions. I play manly LPSs and all settings are clock settings on the amp. I also use the Creamback G12-65 in it!

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Word of caution to Origin 50 owners, be careful running certain pedals in the loop, I just fried my fx loop running an EQ/Boost pedal in it. I loved the sound but it only lasted a day and no the fx loop does not work. The pedal was an Orange Two Stroke, which I just use as an EQ, but it is also a boost so maybe the loop did not like it? I don't know if it is a tube driven fx loop. I'm gutted and not sure if I want to go to the trouble of returning it and waiting weeks for a new one or for a repair. The amp works fine with the loop off.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Word of caution to Origin 50 owners, be careful running certain pedals in the loop, I just fried my fx loop running an EQ/Boost pedal in it. I loved the sound but it only lasted a day and no the fx loop does not work. The pedal was an Orange Two Stroke, which I just use as an EQ, but it is also a boost so maybe the loop did not like it? I don't know if it is a tube driven fx loop. I'm gutted and not sure if I want to go to the trouble of returning it and waiting weeks for a new one or for a repair. The amp works fine with the loop off.
I just left a message on your other thread, but I am going to leave one here as well, more than likely a bad tube in V3, but I am no tech, and have not had this issue.
I run my MXR10 band eq in the front of the amp.
Hope you get it all worked out bro, as these amps can definitely deliver the goods.
Cheers
Mitch

ST035

Reaction score
For you guys finding the 50C too bright, well, get rid of those nasty JJs and put a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback in it and problem solved!
Ok, duly noted. One question, however - since it's a combo (one speaker configuration) - can you run 8 ohm version of Creamback in it?

Steeptimber

Reaction score
No. A single 16ohm speaker or two 16ohm speakers only.

I plan to wire up my two creambacks and two v30s and push all 50 watts through it this summer just to see what it sounds like. They’re all 16ohm speakers so I think I could wire up a load that will work with the amp.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, duly noted. One question, however - since it's a combo (one speaker configuration) - can you run 8 ohm version of Creamback in it?
Are planning on running the 8 ohm speaker by it’s self ? Yes but to run 1-8 ohm, and 1 -16 ohm together at the same time ??
I don’t think you can.
Cheers

jhue73

Reaction score
i have the origin 50h and if i run the master to 10 and the gain on 2 or 3 as suggested it sounds thin, harsh and trebly but if i run the gain on 8 or 10 and the master on 2 or 3 the tone is thick and creamy, anyone know why? bias is set to 75 mv and the plate voltage with the tubes in 440v.

Timo V

Reaction score
i have the origin 50h and if i run the master to 10 and the gain on 2 or 3 as suggested it sounds thin, harsh and trebly but if i run the gain on 8 or 10 and the master on 2 or 3 the tone is thick and creamy, anyone know why? bias is set to 75 mv and the plate voltage with the tubes in 440v.

Shit, it's been ten years since I quit servicing and modding amps (and I'm mighty drunk, again), but I give it a try. As with most vintage voiced Marshalls, the gain pot in your amp is actually not a GAIN pot, but an adjustable high pass filter, because of a hefty bright cap around it (in this case a tilt pot). More you turn it clockwise, more low frequencies you introduce to your amp. Think it as a nice way to adapt different guitars to your amp. There's more refined ways to do this, but they're not the Marshall way.

Last edited:

jhue73

Reaction score
Shit, it's been ten years since I quit servicing and modding amps (and I'm mighty drunk, again), but I give it a try. As with most vintage voiced Marshalls, the gain pot in your amp is actually not a GAIN pot, but an adjustable high pass filter, because of a hefty bright cap around it (in this case a tilt pot). More you turn it clockwise, more low frequencies you introduce to your amp. Think it as a nice way to adapt different guitars to your amp. There's more refined ways to do this, but they're not the Marshall way.

well thats strange since it already has a tilt pot. you would think it would take lows out when you turn the gain up. so your saying it introduces bass or low frequencies to clip the preamp tubes?

Timo V

Reaction score
When the gain is maxed, the bright cap does not play any role. The more you turn gain anti-clockwise, the more high frequencies you get. The tilt pot kind of adjusts the "size" of the bright cap. It's all interconnected, and I'm way too drunk to explain it.:cheers:

jhue73

Reaction score
When the gain is maxed, the bright cap does not play any role. The more you turn gain anti-clockwise, the more high frequencies you get. The tilt pot kind of adjusts the "size" of the bright cap. It's all interconnected, and I'm way too drunk to explain it.:cheers:

ok thanks. i use to drink but i quit thank the lord.

Markfresh

Reaction score

Following this out of interest,
I have the origin 20h and ive been trying to run the master up about 2 o'clock as it has been suggested that having the master at low setting will not push the power section and therefore not getting the most from the amp, i do like the sound with both master and gain on 3 o'clock but will try jhue73's settings and muck around with the tilt.

idw357

Reaction score
The Ori50H was my first Marshall. Bought it a year ago. I'd been a Fender amp guy for decades. I actually thought my O50H was broken when I first got it. Thanks to this forum, I'm now getting awesome sounds out of it. The gain and master volume don't operate at all like a Fender. I've been running the gain WAY up and then adjusting volume as needed. Pretty damn cool.

jhue73

Reaction score
The Ori50H was my first Marshall. Bought it a year ago. I'd been a Fender amp guy for decades. I actually thought my O50H was broken when I first got it. Thanks to this forum, I'm now getting awesome sounds out of it. The gain and master volume don't operate at all like a Fender. I've been running the gain WAY up and then adjusting volume as needed. Pretty damn cool.

i know what you mean i own a blues jr and a princeton and the jr does not work like this. yep, gain up then bring the master up sounds best to me. im surprised how good this amp sounds compared to my 68 prri. always wanted a marshall now i finally own one...:applause: