The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

• Thread starter MarshallDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alestir

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
I have only played briefly through a Orange 212 cab with V30’s, I wasn’t getting shrill or bright from it though.

I wonder if it being a slant cab is just projecting that shrill tone? It sounds like a banshee screaming, and my ears can't take it :)

I may drag this thing back and get a straight 2x12 of some make.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alister are you using a guitar with single coils or humbuckers?

Where are your volume and gain settings? On this amp both matter.

I've got mine going into GB speakers. I put my bass knob at 9:30am. I'm getting full notes no thinness or top end shrill. I'm using humbuckers but also go single coil without being too toppy.

Last edited:

Alestir

Reaction score
Alister are you using a guitar with single coils or humbuckers?

Where are your volume and gain settings? On this amp both matter.

I've got mine going into GB speakers. I put my bass knob at 9:30am. I'm getting full notes no thinness or top end shrill. I'm using humbuckers but also go single coil without being too toppy.

I'm using a Tele and Strat with a Duncan JB in the bridge.

This whole issue was probably the cabinet. It sounded like a phone speaker on steroids. It was used and had to have had someone in the back screwing around with the wiring. No Boogie cab should sound like that thing did! I took it back and ordered a new Orange cab.

On edit: This is all coming from Guitar Center, btw. No slam on them, but you never know what you receive from their used gear network.

Thanks

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using a Tele and Strat with a Duncan JB in the bridge.

This whole issue was probably the cabinet. It sounded like a phone speaker on steroids. It was used and had to have had someone in the back screwing around with the wiring. No Boogie cab should sound like that thing did! I took it back and ordered a new Orange cab.

On edit: This is all coming from Guitar Center, btw. No slam on them, but you never know what you receive from their used gear network.

Thanks

Ok man. Sounds like you got a handle on it. I've got the 412 Orange with V30's. Best V30 cab I've ever owned/played. In fact any PPC Orange with a healthy Marshall sounds tits. A players secret the 2 matching so well. Nothing toppy or harsh with these cabs.

Congratz!

Alestir

Reaction score
Ok man. Sounds like you got a handle on it. I've got the 412 Orange with V30's. Best V30 cab I've ever owned/played. In fact any PPC Orange with a healthy Marshall sounds tits. A players secret the 2 matching so well. Nothing toppy or harsh with these cabs.

Congratz!
We have the phatness :) The Orange cab was just delivered and sounds incredible.

Its night and day compared to the Boogie cab, and can only think something was wrong in the wiring on it.

Thanks for all the help

Also, one more question. I like the Orange 2x12 quite a bit and thinking about adding another one :) Only thing is I've been reading that there is some sort of problem with the Origin 50H and running 2 cabs at once. Is that still a thing or did Marshall clear that up with later production of the series?

Mine is brand new as of about a month ago and the jack plate on the back reads: 16ohm---->8ohm---->2x16ohm. Is this one good to go as far as adding an additional cabinet?

Thanks again

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the phatness :) The Orange cab was just delivered and sounds incredible.

Its night and day compared to the Boogie cab, and can only think something was wrong in the wiring on it.

Thanks for all the help

Also, one more question. I like the Orange 2x12 quite a bit and thinking about adding another one :) Only thing is I've been reading that there is some sort of problem with the Origin 50H and running 2 cabs at once. Is that still a thing or did Marshall clear that up with later production of the series?

Mine is brand new as of about a month ago and the jack plate on the back reads: 16ohm---->8ohm---->2x16ohm. Is this one good to go as far as adding an additional cabinet?

Thanks again

I've heard the probs too. Both cabs I use are 412 at 16 ohms so I haven't used the other jacks.

Congrats on a great cab though. I just got done playing mine through a 412 5153 GB'D cab and got such a rude kick ass old school sound mildly boosted. So cool. Rawk :eddie:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the help

Thanks again

Others will answer this...

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the help

Thanks again
WELCOME TO THE FORUM
In this very thread is the answer, I can’t remember what page, but the fix was posted by @Marshall dog, the easiest way to find out, is to plug 2 16 ohm cabs into the 8 ohm taps , and if they both ring with Marshall tone , they have fixed the problem, mine are the first run so they still need to be fixed.
Cheers
Mitch

idw357

Reaction score

Thanks for all the help

Thanks again
If you look closely, there is a label-line connecting the "2x16 ohm" to the middle and right most socket. If u have a two 16 ohm cabs, you would NOT connect them to both the far left socket and the one on the far right. The manual says to connect two 16 ohm cabs to socket #2 & #3. I think they upgraded the label on the actual Ori50H head cuz it's slightly different than the manual. But it's saying the same thing as the manual. U can email their support peeps if you aren't sure. They turned around my queries within 24 hours.

idw357

Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE FORUM
In this very thread is the answer, I can’t remember what page, but the fix was posted by @Marshall dog, the easiest way to find out, is to plug 2 16 ohm cabs into the 8 ohm taps , and if they both ring with Marshall tone , they have fixed the problem, mine are the first run so they still need to be fixed.
Cheers
Mitch
Mitch, I didn't see your response earlier, but you're saying the same thing. Plug the 16 ohm jacks into socket #2 and #3.

The other thing, is if you are having troubles with your Ori wiring, there is a work around. You could pick up a Radial Engineering Cab-link, and plug a cable from the Ori 8 ohm socket #2 to the "From Amp Parallel" on the Cab-link. Then plug speaker cables between the Cab-link and the two 16 ohm cabs. I did something similar with two 8 ohm cabs but using the amp series socket to the 16 ohm Ori socket and it worked like a charm. The Cab-link has excellent wiring diagrams on the cover plate.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Mitch, I didn't see your response earlier, but you're saying the same thing. Plug the 16 ohm jacks into socket #2 and #3.

The other thing, is if you are having troubles with your Ori wiring, there is a work around. You could pick up a Radial Engineering Cab-link, and plug a cable from the Ori 8 ohm socket #2 to the "From Amp Parallel" on the Cab-link. Then plug speaker cables between the Cab-link and the two 16 ohm cabs. I did something similar with two 8 ohm cabs but using the amp series socket to the 16 ohm Ori socket and it worked like a charm. The Cab-link has excellent wiring diagrams on the cover plate.
Thank you for all the cool intel .
I will definitely look into it, right now all my cabs are 8 ohm cabs (MG cabs)
When I play loud out of my Origin rig.
I have the MXR10 band eq, powering both of them, and FX send I am going to the front of a 3210 lead 100 mosfet, on the clean channel, which can power the 2 B cabs.
It looks like 2 full stacks. And I love the way it sounds ..
Cheers