• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The orange micro terror

• Thread starter Alligatorbling
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alligatorbling

Reaction score
Does anyone else own one? I LOVE mine. They are hella cheap at only 150 dollars brand new. Listen to how it stacks up against a marshall. Pretty impressive for the price point if you ask me. I run mine into a 2x12 cab. Cranked wide open it can hang with a drummer.

Alligatorbling

Reaction score
Its no marshall, but man... for 150 bucks it sounds really good! I've used mine to push 1x12, 2x12s, and even a 4x12.

Iron1

Reaction score
I tried one in store before buying my DSL1 and it just wasn't for me. I understand if you dime everything and shape the tone with a good pedal or two it can get you places, but for me it just wasn't going where I wanted to go. Easy to see why they're popular and glad you dig yours, though.

RLW59

Reaction score
Had a Tiny Terror, now have a Micro.

Tiny Terror was one of my faves, but I honestly like the Micro better.

RLW59

Reaction score
I tried one in store before buying my DSL1 and it just wasn't for me. I understand if you dime everything and shape the tone with a good pedal or two it can get you places, but for me it just wasn't going where I wanted to go. Easy to see why they're popular and glad you dig yours, though.

Did you try it through the crappy matching 8" cab, or into a real cab?

Iron1

Reaction score
Did you try it through the crappy matching 8" cab, or into a real cab?

I tried it through an Orange PPC112. (did also try the Micro Dark through one of those 8 inchers and yeah... no thanks). The bottom end was muddy, the high end fizzy, using a Jackson SL2 with Duncan Distortions in it, but no pedals. For $150 there's nothing wrong with it at all, it just wasn't my thing.

Alligatorbling

Reaction score
It sounds best though 1x12

At 4x12s it just didn't have enough to make the cab push air

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
My smallest amp is one of those stompbox sized Hotones. I have the one that's voiced like a Friedman BE100. 5 watts and pretty darned good sounding for what it is.

I've toyed with the idea of getting every model of this series of Hotone amps and putting them all in a rack with a switching system, just for giggles.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I had a tiny terror not a bad amp but needed a bit of high end sparkle imo.
A freibd had a micro terror and his Tele with a tc elec spark booster it sounded pretty decent at apartment volumes through the 8" cab never got to crank it up though so can't really judge it.

Zado

Reaction score
Does it handle band rehearsal session volumes?

Madfinger

Reaction score
Had exact one for quite a few years now. Has a nos 5751. Like these tubes in orange amps especially the white MT.

Musicmaniac

Reaction score
Love my Micro Dark and have used it at small gigs with great results!

jeffb

Reaction score
Had one- pushed a 2x12 with M25s well enough, but you won't get any headroom out of it for clean tones at a gig (roll off those volume controls on your guitar for cleans)

Benefits greatly from a tube swap. As mentioned above it digs old 5751s. Mine sounded best with JAN/GE 5751s from the 70s. The Stock JJ is not the best thing to have in it, IMO. Too dark. Didn't care for RI Tung Sols, EHX or RI Mullards. JJ803S is a good choice too. IME-The amp likes brighter/clearer sounding less gainy tubes.

The thing that turned me off- It just doesn't sound 3 Dimensional like an actual SS or Tube amp. It's very "flat" sounding- no depth. Also, much prefer a TMB tone stack vs "Shape".

Still. for $150 , its a fun, worthwhile purchase-I might pick up another someday.

Latest posts