The perfect Marshall head at lower wattage?

• Thread starter rudedude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rudedude

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I am currently looking for a Marshall head that would satisfy my needs.
I want a creamy, warm overdrive (the classic Marshall tone you'd find mostly on the vintage ones) but at not so high volumes.
I don't play heavy metal or very loud music, and my bandmates annoyingly say I'm often too loud in rehearsals.

Anyway, the tone I'm looking for would more likely be found in the 1 channel amps.
I've been thinking a lot about the JTM45 and the handwired 2061x (20w). Haven't had the chance to test either, but I heard they don't distort much - this could be subjective though, as some people might be referring to extreme high gain, which I'm not looking for.
Another thing I heard is that the stock 5881 valves in the JTM45 are too clean, and that the amp itself doesn't distort enough.

I saw some guys using KT66s, which apparently make the sound break up earlier. Indeed, the samples of JTM45s with KT66s had a killer tone!
Still, those need to be really pushed to get there.

Since I want natural overdrive at manageable levels, a friend told me to go after a JCM800 with a Master Volume. I saw many 2203s for sale, but the 2204 are really hard to come by.
But from the samples I listened to, and considering these amps were created in the 80s, they are very reminiscent of that decade, with a more aggressive distortion. Great sounds there for Metallica, and hard rock style, but not exactly the tone I'm looking for.

What I'm seeking is more 70's (think Mick Ronson during the Spiders From Mars era).

So my question is what should I go for?
Would a JTM45 revalved with KT66s + attenuation be a better option for me?

Would also love to read the input of those who own any of the aforementioned amps :)

Cheers!

JimiRules

Reaction score
I haven't played through any of the amps you mentioned, but I do have a YJM, which is a plexi with some modern features (fx loop, built in boost, EPA). With the EPA you can run the amp anywhere from 100 to .005 watts. That may be something to think about.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Look at a Class 5 head and see if it has enough power for you. If you have the bucks and want a full sized head check out a YJM. Also the VM comes to mind as being classic sounding.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
images

Supernova

Reaction score
Ceriatone build an 18W JTM like head here
I have one, but I ordered it with a PPIMV which means I can get that real driven sound at really low volumes about the house, and have a switch to bypass it for gigs around town. If I need more volume, I just mic it up.

It's fantastic and does all the tones I need, from Little Wing to Sharp Dressed Man, and it'll go more Moore esque with a good OD in front of it

elcid

Reaction score
Avatar got into the jtm clone game too. I really want to check one out when the budget permits. The clones in general don't really seem to be much cheaper than a used marshall, at least not cheap enough to pass on the real thing unless you want something like a master volume that the marshalled doesn't have

dash8311

Reaction score
YJM100, very manageable 1959 with great features.

I have to attenuate my 2203, it's nuclear level loud; the 2204 will be no different. To get the tone, you'll need it past 4.5-5.

The 1 watt series may interest you as well, if there's a GC or the like near where you live, you might want to check those out.

Welcome to the forums!

BlackLabel

Reaction score
A JTM45 with KT66s in it has the best clean tone in the world, period. Put some good tubes in it, use good speakers (Scumnicos or old alnico Celestion) and look out. My favorite overdrive tone is with the JTM on 5 or 6 so that it's still pretty clean and only breaks up slightly and then use a germanium rangemaster in front of it. It saturates and sustains perfectly and cleans up well with your volume knob. You can do a lot with it that way. Still, it's a pretty loud amp and, unless you have a really loud drummer and a 2nd guitar player in the band, you'll probably need to use an attenuator to keep the volume under control.

For what you're looking for, DON'T get a JCM800. Those are really, really loud amps and sound best when the master is cranked so that you get power tube breakup. You pretty much have to use an attenuator with it to do that. I feel that the clean tone on my JCM800 is a lot more neutral than the sparkly JTM-y clean tone on my JTM so I like to use the JCM (with effects loop) as a platform for my pedalboard.

If you want that classic Marshall JMP sound, the only way to get it is with a cranked JMP - I've owned and/or tried hundreds of pedals and none of them really get to the same place as a good guitar > coil cable > JMP. If you just want to dime it and get that creamy JMP sound, the 2061x is perfect, and at a decent volume. It really nails it.

BlackLabel

Reaction score
Addendum to that: running my JMP1 through the effects loop of my JCM800 sounds perfect. Still have to attenuate it tho.

Username2

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I am currently looking for a Marshall head that would satisfy my needs.
I want a creamy, warm overdrive (the classic Marshall tone you'd find mostly on the vintage ones) but at not so high volumes.
I don't play heavy metal or very loud music, and my bandmates annoyingly say I'm often too loud in rehearsals.

Anyway, the tone I'm looking for would more likely be found in the 1 channel amps.
I've been thinking a lot about the JTM45 and the handwired 2061x (20w). Haven't had the chance to test either, but I heard they don't distort much - this could be subjective though, as some people might be referring to extreme high gain, which I'm not looking for.
Another thing I heard is that the stock 5881 valves in the JTM45 are too clean, and that the amp itself doesn't distort enough.

I saw some guys using KT66s, which apparently make the sound break up earlier. Indeed, the samples of JTM45s with KT66s had a killer tone!
Still, those need to be really pushed to get there.

Since I want natural overdrive at manageable levels, a friend told me to go after a JCM800 with a Master Volume. I saw many 2203s for sale, but the 2204 are really hard to come by.
But from the samples I listened to, and considering these amps were created in the 80s, they are very reminiscent of that decade, with a more aggressive distortion. Great sounds there for Metallica, and hard rock style, but not exactly the tone I'm looking for.

What I'm seeking is more 70's (think Mick Ronson during the Spiders From Mars era).

So my question is what should I go for?
Would a JTM45 revalved with KT66s + attenuation be a better option for me?

Would also love to read the input of those who own any of the aforementioned amps :)

Cheers!

I would start with a 50 watt Vintage Modern 2266. Don't let the 50 watts sway you, there are great tones that amp can put out with out blowing the doors off. You get two modes with KT66s in the VM, Vintage and Modern.

schwa

Reaction score
I have a 2061x and it does do many of the things you are looking for. Folks will be quick to point out that the 2061x does sound different because it has smaller tubes and iron, but I think the sound is more along the classic tones than different.

It does need to be cranked up to give the goods (like other NMV Marshalls), but it is a great classic Marshall sound. Since it is a 4 holer, you can balnace your tone like the bigger ones. It doesn't get anything more than AC/DC type gain alone, but a boost (Treble Booster, etc.) will get you into higher gain territory.

The main thing to consider is that even though it's "only" 20 watts - when it's cranked the volume is similar to the way many folks run their 50W MV amps.

If you can find one, it's worth checking out - the 2061x is my favorite Marshall.

eaglewolf

Reaction score
The JTM45 put out some of the best tones I've heard out of an amp, yet it was at volumes I couldn't use in my playing environment. Some have talked about reamping high wattage amps run through an attenuator set to load, but that isn't something I've tried yet.

From my sig, you can see the route I chose instead was low wattage amps. I really like the clips I've heard of the 1974x / 2061x as I too prefer gain that serves classic rock best, but some have commented on those amps being rather loud when you get to that. Check one out before jumping if volume is an issue, or maybe someone that actually owns one can provide better feedback on those amps.

The JTM-1 or the JMP-1 might be a good option for you if you can find one. I think I've seen a few used ones offered recently. Again, they are not actually quiet amps on the 1W mode, but even cranked they probably won't bring the police to your door unless you live in an apartment and like playing loud at night. There is always the .1W mode if 1W is too loud. Doesn't sound as good as full power, but still quite usable.

Otherwise you might look to a custom amp builder. There are a lot of good options there if you choose to go that route.

David

rudedude

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the welcome and replies!

I did test the 1 watt head, as well as the Class 5 (although it was the combo). I don't want to be too loud but I do need to cut through the mix, and I feel these amps aren't loud enough.
The Class 5 combo distorted a lot too early, so the tone gets way too dirty if I want to play louder - which is the extreme opposite of the problem I may find with the more powerful heads which will have much more headroom and volume, therefore deafening loud before distorting properly.
I tested a 1987x and its 50w is defo overkill. It was just me and one shop keeper there, so I really went for it! I swear I could feel wind against my face and a pounding on the chest. The shop keeper went outside :D

So that's why I'm looking more into those mid-range models. I once travelled to test a 2061x but when I got there the amp simply wasn't working! It was a big store and all, so embarrassing for them. I was very disappointed with that.

This week I'm supposed to go see a used JTM 45 with a flight case. Who knows? Then I should re-valve and re-bias anyway.
And then go find the right attenuator. I'll read up on that, as I'm afraid some might damage the amp?

As for the YJM, it's a bit too steep for my budget.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for Vintage Modern and other amps too, as the opportunities come along.

Thanks again, and feel free to keep sharing your thoughts!

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I've played em all and still say the JVM is the way to go. Its like having a few Marshall amps in one. With the controls its very easy to get good tone at low volumes, but can play in a band too if needed.
A JTM45 without attenuator is a little quieter than the 1987X. But the JVM can go lower than the 45.
Use low sensitivity speakers for about -3db reduction in volume.

"Alex" attenuator from a Gear Page forum member is the best attenuator.
Aracom very close second.
Dr Z are pretty good.
Hot Plate at bottom.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Nuke. The Vintage Modern 2266 is a fantastic-sounding head and it basically a one-channel amp. It's about as close as you're going to get to JTM45 tones without spending a lot. Even with the stock KT66's, the amp has a stellar tone. The best part is, you can get some power tube saturation well below piss-off-the-band volume. It's the most quiet 50 watts you'll ever hear, but in a very good way.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Riverratt , this is where we disagree , i have never heard a VM head that sounded Good , and i've heard a few of them now... But that's for a whole other topic imo .

The 6100 can go down to 25 watts and sound great ! don't believe me , ask any 6100 owner ...