• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The photography thread.

• Thread starter Blokkadeleider
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
picked me up a new point & shoot bridge camera...

I got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2500. Interestingly, I couldn't find anything too recent, that fit my criteria. This is a 2017 model. At the time, they were making digital cameras for Leica. I was looking at the Leica equivalent, but, they are 3x's the price, & unobtainable. Leica moved on from the 'super zoom', to a more compact, flat camera w/ a small lens.

these are not really photographic compositions as much as they are testing quality of image & color. All shot indoors, no flash.

View attachment 158691
Nice camera. Colors look neutral to me. I like Canon's color profile a lot because it makes photos pop, but sometimes I set it to neutral because not everything looks good with vibrant colors. Like if I was taking a picture of something with subdued colors, like machinery in a stone quarry where there's a lot of gray, or in the woods on a cloudy November day and you're trying to catch the vibe of the grays and browns - I'd want detail over vibrant colors.

This summer I picked up the widest lens Canon makes for their R-series cameras. It's a 10-18mm, f/4.5-6.3. So for me it's 16-29mm, effectively. I bought it because I'm finding that some photos I take are missing something; like I get home and look at a shot I took of a subject, and it doesn't have the vibe I was trying to capture- like it just looks isolated; it just looks like "a thing". My assumption is that what's missing is the context that the subject is in - nothing else around it is in the photo. I've tried backing away or zooming out, but then you just end up with a smaller looking subject. My thinking is that, with a wide angle lens, I can get the full size of the subject while including more of its context, and therefore, the photo would have more character, and tell more of a "story". One thing I learned with the wide angle lens, is that's how they make the insides of campers, RV's, cars and trucks, look so big. You see these photos of small pop-up campers, and they look so spacious inside. Then you walk into one, and you're like "we can't fit 2 people in here let alone 6". LOL!

Example:

Like, here's your pop-up camper, right?
1728106721564.png

Here's what it looks like inside with a wide angle lens. :rofl:
1728106768223.png

I exaggerated to make a point. :D

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Anyway, I was really hoping to get lots of cool shots of hummingbirds and butterflies this summer, but it didn't work out. My wife set up a bunch of hummingbird feeders, and built a butterfly garden. But there was only one hummingbird all summer, who would come and perch in the top of a bush every day. We ended up naming him "George". We got zero butterflies. Taking photos of birds alone was a tough lesson: it's very difficult to get good shots of birds, because the little buggers won't stay still for one second. I set the camera up to take multiple shots at a time, but that's still pretty futile.

Latest posts