The road to sweet guitar tone

• Thread starter CrystalBearer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could possibly enlighten me how to get such sweet guitar tone as the link below :

By the way, I have a '94 6101 combo with sovtek 5881/6L6WGC and sovtek 12ax7wb.
I live in an apartment and I have to play in a living room at 80 - 90 dB sound level.
Amp setting : Low power triode mode master volume 7 presence 2
clean volume 3 treble mid bass 5
crunch B volume 3 gain 2.5 treble mid bass 5
lead volume 2.5 gain 2.5 treble mid bass 5
I use this setting as a platform for JHS AT pedal for all 3 channels.
The stock neck pickup is 7.54k ohm and the stock bridge pickup is 7.83k ohm in my '96 LPR7 goldtop.
I seldom use tube screamer/overdrive as clean boost (level 10 gain 0) becasue it will boost the volume as well.
Both neck and bridge volume at 7, neck tone 10 and bridge tone at 7.
I am satisified and happy with the clean sound. No problems with the cruch channel and lead channel in general.
Still figuring out how to obtain the rich full tone demonstrated from the above link. Seems like getting a decent dirt
sound is easier. 😅

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the guy is playing through a Dumble style amp or drive pedal. I’m not sure what you can do with the 6101, I’ve never played that amp. But, maybe try mids up, treble and presence down. So you’re keeping all your tone controls at 5? Maybe try starting with them at 10, and then cut the frequencies you want to hear less.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
Hi anitoli & FleshOnGear,
Thanks for letting me know of your opinions and pointing me to the right direction.
I do not have EQ/Delay devices. Luckily I do have some overdrives and cabinet with me.
I intend to try the following settings :
guitar --> TS808 --> TS808 --> Euphoria --> Overrated Special -->
in front of '96 6100 LM --> '96 1960AX
marshall sovtek 5881/6L6wgc x 4
sovtek 12ax7lps in v1 v2 & v7
sovtek 12ax7wb in v3 - v6
'96 1960AX - brought new in '98 stock 4 x 12 G12M-25
NYXL 1046 strings with 1 mm picks
Do allow me some time to tweak with these "not-so-simple" exploration. Don't hesitate to let me know any other ideas. I am afterall just an eager learner.
By the way, from the videos, any chance being a marshall stack ?

IMG_0140 2016 x1512.jpgIMG_0142 2016 x 1512.jpg

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice setup! I think you have tools that can get you into the ballpark. Keep in mind that the clip you referenced doesn’t have that much gain. It’s easy to go over the top with gain when you’re stacking pedals.

giblesp

Reaction score
Don't think too much about his tone, go for your own. Just play and enjoy. The more you play, the more your tone will continue to evolve. And it's constant evolution.

If you wish to record, bear in mind that recording technique also comes into play.

Just keep playing, record if you wish and enjoy.

Equipment certainly has something to do with it, but we can get a bit lost in that.

Your tubescreamer through the clean channel, will get a similar tone. That's the route I'd take, anyway.

Notice how relaxed a player he is. Good vibrato, dynamic contrast with both the lead and rhythm.

Last edited:

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
Message received, loud and clear.
Follow-up report
Lead Crunch A Clean
M Vol Pres B M T V G B M T V G B M T V
6100LM 7 2 10 10 3 1 1 10 10 3 1 7 10 10 3 1
6101 7 2 10 10 3 1.5 3 10 10 0 1.5 7 10 10 5 1.5
TS808 always on overdrive 0 tone 5 level 10 -------->
TS808 always on overdrive 0 tone 5 level 10 -------->
Euphoria Tone 10 Bass 10 Volume 4 Gain 0 Smooth voicing
Overrated Special Volume 5+ Drive 0 Frequency 5 Tone 5
All pedals (on) apply to all channels respectively without problems.
Just trying to bring the sound of these 2 amps as close as possible to my liking and keep it as a reference. The lead mode is pretty wild in 6100 LM when pushed by all 4 pedals at the same time.
The performance in the video clips keeps haunting me. A great resemblance to Chris Rea with Snowy White in the mix, I would say. Just carry me away to a far off place while watching.

Phony iommi

Reaction score
Crunch channel mode A.
Gain 10
Bass 5
Mid 10
Treble 10
Presence 7
Volumes for crunch channel and master shouldn’t matter for what you are after.
Use only the wampler as a light boost, I’d start with everything at noon with the switch set to smooth and play around from there.
In the video there’s slapback delay and reverb, could be post processing or who knows but that’s in play here as well. If you have a delay/reverb throw that in the loop.
Just my opinion. I have the same amp and these steps may get you closer to what you’re after.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I achieve it with the following. I prefer in with a Marshall, because I just prefer Marshall. Plexi or JCM 800. Les Paul guitar with volume and tone rolled back. First, into a Tone Bender style Fuzz. Then into a Dumble style pedal, I use a J Rocket Dude. Into amp. The loop has an EQ pedal, I use the Source Audio EQ2. Low-mids hump setting. Some reverb and delay, or double delay, in the loop too for the modulation.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, giblesp, Phony iommi & TXOldRedRocker.
Understood. I will focus more on Crunch A channel accordingly.
Gain 10 Bass 5 Mid 10 Treble can it be 5 ? 10 most likely hurts my ears badly. Presence can it be 5 ? same issue.
Master volume 7 and channel volume to taste.
Just pick Euphoria as light boost, all noon settings with smooth voicing to start with.
I have to admit the guitar tone not thin at all the whole time, but not fat enough like the goldtop video clip. Anyhow, I will die trying to accomplish that.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I don't have any fuzz/delay/reverb/EQ devices to achieve that.

nortiks

Reaction score
A cable to connect the guitar to the amp, the guitar's volume and tone knobs, and a delay preferably in the amp FX loop. Start with both knobs on 7 or so and tweak to taste.
jmo, ymmv, etc, etc...

anitoli

Reaction score
Just a thought here, i have all 3 versions of the 6100's. After many years of use i think these amps sound the best when they are run in high power mode, Pentode mode, with the auto damping set to low so the presence control works on all three channels. The low volume compensation will accommodate apartment levels but it will still sound great. I think the clean channel will get you the closest to what you are looking for but it has a price, you are going to need to drive it pretty hard both channel and master volume so this may not work in your situation.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
I'm grateful for your valuable thoughts, anitoli. I will keep that in mind.
I turn the clean channel into an overdriven channel all the time using JHS AT with auto damping.
I guess I have been misleaded by the user manual all these years.
First thing, low damping activated. A little goes a long way.

Last edited:

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
Hi ioomi,
My updated report on your recommendations :
Crunch channel mode A.
Gain 10
Bass 5
Mid 10
Treble 10
Presence 7
Master volume 7 channel volume 1.5
Euphoria tone 10 bass 5 volume 3 gain 2 (clean boost) gain 7 (hard boost)
The setting sounds nicely in 6101 combo and even better in 6100 head with the greenbacks.
The basic sounding without Euphoria boost is actually good enough.
I apply this to the clean & lead channels respectively and find it compatible as well, with treble both lower to 5, lead gain lower to 3.
Thanks for your efforts to bring that to my attention. 😅

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
On the left, '96 57 Goldtop R7 #7 6726 9.68 lbs warm sounding
stock neck 7.54k ohm stock bridge 7.83k ohm
On the right, Hamer archtop studio '59 burst 1994 #439013 8.36 lbs
warmer sounding than the R7
neck stock seymour duncan '59 7.88k ohm
bridge stock seymour duncan jazzie blues JB 15.7k ohm

IMG_0143 1445 x 2016_NEW2.jpg

Last edited:

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
High-tier playing. @0:50 they are toggle switching for grit.

All Along the Watchtower was first done by Dylan and then Hendrix.

I think you should look at a Hendrix-type tone minus the fuzz and with that LP instead of a Strat.

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
Yes, he used Tom Bailey's backing track in the background.

Tom Bailey Backing Tracks Jimi Hendrix Acoustic Instrumental Guitar Backing Track In C# Minor E Major​

CrystalBearer

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if this pedal plays a role or carries any weight in the sound I'm after.

IMG_0144_NEW 2016 x 1512.jpg

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score