The top cab of a full stack always sounds worse

• Thread starter giam23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giam23

Reaction score
Slightly clickbait title but anyway.

TLDR: One 4x12 only, does it sound worse on another cab rather than on the floor?

Wanted to hear some thoughts on running just the top cab of a full stack, and how it effects the tone of the cab in the room.
I bring this up as ive got 3 cabs (2 straights and one slant), and due to space constraints i kinda need to have one on top of the other, but from my experiences I have never really liked the sound of a cab on top of another as opposed to it just being on the floor. Looses a bit of bottom end and also ends up at head height. I play in a rather small room for 100 watters (its like 4x4.5m or 13x16' in freedom units) and feel like this effects it as an A cab will shoot straight at the roof. And my best cab of the 3 is my A cab.

hmmm, just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts

PelliX

Reaction score
Decoupling from the floor is really a good thing, but you may indeed need to re-EQ a bit to compensate if you liked the effect. It's very common for people to set their tone without actually facing the speaker(s). They then go on to record and are surprised at how bright and shrill it sounds.... :coffee:

Personally, I prefer angled cabs, but in a half stack setup. That way you're hearing what is going on if you take just a few paces back from the stack.

giam23

Reaction score
Decoupling from the floor is really a good thing, but you may indeed need to re-EQ a bit to compensate if you liked the effect. It's very common for people to set their tone without actually facing the speaker(s). They then go on to record and are surprised at how bright and shrill it sounds.... :coffee:

Personally, I prefer angled cabs, but in a half stack setup. That way you're hearing what is going on if you take just a few paces back from the stack.
i think i prefer straight cabs in the small room but its hard to test as all my speakers are very different. I generally sit about about 2 meters to the side of my cabs and 1.5 meters back (6x3ish feet) facing the cabs. They sound so different when i wheel them out into my big open loft and stand back from them but unfortunately i rarely get to do that.

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Does your top cab have the castors installed?

Removing them will change the sound(if that’s better or not is a personal thing), you might be better off with 2 B cabs, alternatively you can lay your slant on its side and put the b on top(with castors removed obviously)

giam23

Reaction score
Does your top cab have the castors installed?

Removing them will change the sound(if that’s better or not is a personal thing), you might be better off with 2 B cabs, alternatively you can lay your slant on its side and put the b on top(with castors removed obviously)
I took all my castors off becuase i thought it might give me a little more low end, never tested it though i should at some point. Might put my two B cabs together and the A on its own, only issue is a single cab with 3 heads isnt as tall as a full stack woth one head. How ever will i cope with a mis match

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
just as, when you close-mic a cab, you try to get the mic a bit off-axis, the same is said for ear position...

When the cab is on the ground, your ear is always off-axis... when the cab is ear-level, you get that on-axis blast from the voice coils...

having a cab stacked can be harsh.

PelliX

Reaction score

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol

Pedro?

Don't mind Pelix,

He's been smoking all that Netherland hash.
Nope, just Florida medical marijuana. :D

That’s why I misread posts all the time!

Edit: my bad, I didn’t see you’re referring to @PelliX,…..

See that, did it again?

Last edited: