The Tube Store matching (in)accuracy?

• Thread starter nortiks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nortiks

Reaction score
What are people's experiences with matching accuracy on power tubes from www.thetubestore.com?

I bought an amp with a (supposedly) new pair of Tung Sol branded EL34 that are from The Tube Store and they're mismatched 6.5ma at idle.

Pretty abysmal imo. And yes, the mismatch follows the tubes if I swap sockets, demonstrating its not the amp. And they do test as fresh on my EICO 667.

But before I jump to conclusions, since I didn't get them straight from TTS, I wanted to ask others what their experiences are with TTS in terms of matching tolerances?

Also, what are your recommendations for supplier with reputation for good matching? Eurotubes appears to have a good rep, but offers JJ only.

nortiks

Reaction score
Tube could have drifted after installation?
Do you have any experience buying from The Tube Store and if so, what is your experience on their matching tolerances? If these drifted that much after an initial match, it means they either weren't burned in first, or something went wrong with the amp to force them apart.

anitoli

Reaction score
Bought from them many times and with the exception of one tube in a quad to went 15ma high after install and 4 hour burn they are pretty good.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are people's experiences with matching accuracy on power tubes from www.thetubestore.com?

I bought an amp with a (supposedly) new pair of Tung Sol branded EL34 that are from The Tube Store and they're mismatched 6.5ma at idle.

Pretty abysmal imo. And yes, the mismatch follows the tubes if I swap sockets, demonstrating its not the amp. And they do test as fresh on my EICO 667.

But before I jump to conclusions, since I didn't get them straight from TTS, I wanted to ask others what their experiences are with TTS in terms of matching tolerances?

Also, what are your recommendations for supplier with reputation for good matching? Eurotubes appears to have a good rep, but offers JJ only.
Because both tubes are from The Tube Store, what makes you think they were matched to begin with.
Your first statement is questioning whether they are even new.
Seller may have dumped those tubes in there to get rid of them.
If they were not purchased new by you, I'd question the seller before the brand.

nortiks

Reaction score
Because both tubes are from The Tube Store, what makes you think they were matched to begin with.
Because they are both labelled with the same values on their test sticker...
Your first statement is questioning whether they are even new.
Seller may have dumped those tubes in there to get rid of them.
They test as new, but you're right and thats why I don't want to jump to conclusions before asking around. I've seen a number of people elsewhere saying TTS matches weren't good, but also others saying they're fine.
If they were not purchased new by you, I'd question the seller before the brand.
They test as new.

nortiks

Reaction score
Yeah, tubes in used amps are always "new" it seems..............................
They test as new. Doesn't mean they are obviously. That's why I want to hear people's experiences with matching quality from the supplier....

anitoli

Reaction score
Tubes can and will drift, it's a fact and has nothing to do with matching quality. I have seen them drift with my own eyes man.
Just because they have a matching stickers doesn't mean they were matched at the same time.

nortiks

Reaction score
Tubes can and will drift, it's a fact and has nothing to do with matching quality. I have seen them drift with my own eyes man.
Just because they have a matching stickers doesn't mean they were matched at the same time.
I don't disagree, but I stay away from stuff that drifts that much when they test as new. I have =C= in all my other amps and they haven't drifted apart more than 1ma after a year....

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because they are both labelled with the same values on their test sticker...

They test as new, but you're right and thats why I don't want to jump to conclusions before asking around. I've seen a number of people elsewhere saying TTS matches weren't good, but also others saying they're fine.

They test as new.
OK, so at some point they tested the same and now they don't.
That probably has more to do with the tubes than the testing.
Perhaps you should be questioning the Tung Sol brand manufacturing accuracy and not the reseller's testing accuracy.
When I buy new tubes, I get Apex matched from Tubes and More - and I buy JJ...

nortiks

Reaction score
OK, so at some point they tested the same and now they don't.
That probably has more to do with the tubes than the testing.
Perhaps you should be questioning the Tung Sol brand manufacturing accuracy and not the reseller's testing accuracy.
Who knows whether they did or didn't? That's why I'm asking around what TTS reputation is for matching quality...
When I buy new tubes, I get Apex matched from Tubes and More - and I buy JJ...
I'm not opposed to JJ, I use their EL84/844. IIRC TTS say they use Apex matching.

Also, have you checked matching on what you bought from Tubes and More and if so, how close were they? Obviously a sample of one, but trying to find supplier(s) that are providing good matching services...

anitoli

Reaction score
I have a Maxi Matcher so i can verify tube current draw myself and IMO i think there is too much emphasis placed on having power tubes matched to within 1-2 ma, it doesn't amount to squat. As long as the current spread isn't too large and introducing hum it's nothing to worry about. I have run sets as much as 10 ma apart with no issues.

GAStan

Reaction score
I bought a quad of 6L6 Apex Matched tubes. The were nicely matched, all within 1mA. But after just a few hours use/burn in they had drifted to more than 4mA difference. 1 drifted up 2mA, another down 2mA, the other 2 stayed between. My point is they do drift, I believe most drift happens in the initial burn in period. Now I ONLY buy tubes that are burned in then matched.

I have had great luck with Tube Depot, great people to deal with.

I think the Burned In Apex Matched are also good, but they only offer JJ tubes that are burned in.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who knows whether they did or didn't? That's why I'm asking around what TTS reputation is for matching quality...

I'm not opposed to JJ, I use their EL84/844. IIRC TTS say they use Apex matching.

Also, have you checked matching on what you bought from Tubes and More and if so, how close were they? Obviously a sample of one, but trying to find supplier(s) that are providing good matching services...
I've never had a new or used set of tubes more than a few mA out - whether they were "matched" or just a random pair.
I don't think you're going to find some kind of fail-safe matching service.
Not sure why you're stuck on the "obviously" a testing provider issue.
The tubes themselves are the most probable reason for testing good and not staying matched, not who tests them and how.

anitoli

Reaction score
Tube "matching" first appeared in 1960's, it was a way for tube manufacturers to get more money for tubes that weren't rejected from the get go by claiming that matching provides superior tube performance when in reality they were just selling you tubes that were in spec.....................

nortiks

Reaction score
Not sure why you're stuck on the "obviously" a testing provider issue.
Never said that it is a testing provider issue...in fact the entire purpose of the thread is to ask people what their experiences are. As I said in the first post "But before I jump to conclusions, since I didn't get them straight from TTS, I wanted to ask others what their experiences are with TTS in terms of matching tolerances?"
Tube "matching" first appeared in 1960's, it was a way for tube manufacturers to get more money for tubes that weren't rejected from the get go by claiming that matching provides superior tube performance when in reality they were just selling you tubes that were in spec.....................
Then why do you yourself buy them?

Latest posts