The video game thread.

• Thread starter Alligatorbling
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have the newer Switch with the "Mariko" chip? It has about twice the battery life of the launch model. And I don't mean the Switch Lite, but the regular Switch that comes in the Red box instead of the old white box. Before, I would get about 2.5-3 hours on Breath of the Wild. With the new Switch, I get 5 hours easily. But, I absolutely agree with you on Bluetooth headphones.

Also, I feel you on cartridges versus digital. I went on physical with the Switch and half regret doing so. Digital is soooo much more convenient, but I'm a slave to collecting physical carts. Switch makes gaming so convenient that I rarely play anything else these days.

No, I bought my Switch in late 2017 and I'll be darned if I'm going to buy it again (v1.1) just for extra battery life. That's the kind of thing that pisses consumers and fans off: either get it right the first time, or wait until the product is truly out of Beta. Nintendo already strung us along with no data backups and then finally charges us a yearly fee to keep backups in tact. And the omission of Bluetooth for audio is almost unforgivable. Literally EVERYTHING today is Bluetooth audio capable. I get that there's lag, but so FIX IT THEN!

sleepnaught

Reaction score
No, I bought my Switch in late 2017 and I'll be darned if I'm going to buy it again (v1.1) just for extra battery life. That's the kind of thing that pisses consumers and fans off: either get it right the first time, or wait until the product is truly out of Beta. Nintendo already strung us along with no data backups and then finally charges us a yearly fee to keep backups in tact. And the omission of Bluetooth for audio is almost unforgivable. Literally EVERYTHING today is Bluetooth audio capable. I get that there's lag, but so FIX IT THEN!
Well, it was really a case of the chip being the only thing available on the market for them to develop for. So, while it sucks for early adopters, at least there's an option for them to get better battery life. And yeah, cloud saves should be a thing on every game and should be FREE, like they are on Steam.

Ransom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done lots and lots and lots of gaming, starting in 1978 on the Atari 2600! I'll be brief as I can and say that the three systems that are played the most at my house are my Switch, PS4 and Wii U. The Wii U is way more powerful than it got credit for but Nintendo didn't market it at all!! I think it only sold 10 million units or so. A lot of gamers didn't know what it was - including Nintendo fans! I thought it was a great console but it became the red-headed stepchild in no time - no offense meant to any red-headed stepchildren here.

As for games, on the PS4 I'm a huge fan of the Uncharted series. Beautiful, fun, with dialog that is funny as all hell at times, and just fantastic to play. But my Switch is the prize pig...and it was a gift from my siblings last year! The portability has changed everything for me. I'm the old man on the commuter train who's playing a Switch with reading glasses on.

I've tended to try out more 3rd-party titles on the Switch, including Okami HD. That was a pretty big indie title back in the day but it is simply gorgeous on the Switch. The Zelda series is also a big deal and I'm only about 10% of the way through BotW. I'm also into the Mario world (I just preordered the Switch version of Mario 3D All-Stars that comes out in a week, which includes Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and the first Super Mario Galaxy). Mario Kart is always a blast! When I play Kart online and end up getting wailed on and fall into 9th place or worse, I always imagine that it's a bunch of 6-year-olds with much better reflexes who just kicked my ass.

I'm saving the best for last...if you haven't played it, you GOTS to get Hollow Knight! This game is an experience and is hard as hell! The visuals, tight controls, soundtrack, the seemingly endless things you can do...it is my personal GOAT. Nothing comes close. Zelda Twilight Princess got quickly unseated by Hollow Knight as my favorite game all-time, which didn't seem possible. It comes with whatever DLC they made for it - right now I'm at 102% completion and still have the final boss and two other crushing tasks left to do LOL. And once you get past Hollow Knight, its follow-up game will eventually come out (no one knows when) and it's called Silksong. I'm really hoping it'll be this year because Nintendo had a trailer for it all the way back on Valentine's Day of 2019!

giam23

Reaction score
Any of you folks play video games? What system do you have? What are your favorite games? (past and present)

We have a Nintendo switch. Its an awesome system. I got it because I like Nintendo exclusive titles (Mario, Zelda, metroid, ect)

Me and my girlfriend love to play Mario kart. She whoops my ass every time.

We have a big screen TV, its 75" and a bitching surround sound system and big sub woofer. It makes gaming so much fun!

I like to download the classics to. Playing the original super Mario Brothers on a 75" is so cool considering i grew up playing it on a 12" tv

I've recently gotten into gaming on my phone too. I have the note 20. I love gaming on the go. It's thousands of free games in the play store.

The Nintendo switch is neat too because it's basically a tablet with a docking station. You pull the tablet out and snap the controls onto each side and play on the go. When your ready to play on the TV you just detach the controls and dock it.

My first gaming systems were the atari 2600 and the Nintendo entertainment system
had a ps4 and used to be a gamer, sold it to fund guitars, now i play gran turismo 5 on ps3 that i got with a tv ages ago and ots pretty fun, might try find a really cheap xbox secondhand for forza and a cheap wii for wii sports and stuff

mcblink

Reaction score
Necrobumping for the sole purpose of casting another vote for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

My boy got a Nintendo Switch for Christmas and I have been playing this game ever since. Easily probably one of the best games of this generation. It's consuming entirely way to much of my time, and I'm loving it!

Anyway, I'm off now. I have a Lynel hunt planned for today. Gotta get them horns, hooves and guts! After that, I'm farming some dragon parts.

Derek S

Reaction score
Bumping for a new gear day (and for fans of older vid games). I found this sweet arcade controller while at the PC store this weekend, had to nab it! I love vintage games and this thing properly applies the old skool vibe. I was actually searching for a way to control trackball games because a mouse wasn't cutting it. Then I stumbled across this unit, read the reviews and was prepared to order it from Amazon but was shocked to see they actually stock them at a local B & M. Anyway, here's my humble gaming station with the new toy in action. If you like the old stuff, this thing is a beast (sturdy and nails the feel/control). With the right monitor you can even play standing up ala the old cabinets. I see some gaming nights soon at my place with friends (it's a two player board)!

Joust.jpg

SFIII.jpg

Gaming-Standing.jpg

Last edited:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Love the convenience of consoles, can’t aim worth shit with consoles.

a couple months ago I picked up an MSI Trident gaming PC for 700 bucks, helluva steal and I saw the listing a couple minutes after it went up so I got lucky.
It’s got 2019 best i7, plenty of RAM and an RTX2060 card, and the boot drive is an NVME SSD, I’ve never had such a fast drive before and I work in the tech industry lol.
The form factor is great also, it’s smaller than my Xbox one.

Cold Shot

Reaction score
I have all the Xbox's, Playstations, and most of the Nintendo consoles, including the Switch. I don't have a PS5 or the new Xbox, but I don't want them. I have a ton of games to play on the other consoles to bother with a newer one.

And I will absolutely stomp all of your asses in Mario Kart.

Garrett

Reaction score
Built it in late 2019, but too old to game much anymore.....it's stupid fast and drives a 1440p monitor nicely. Just an overkill net surfer anymore.

3800xt
2070 Super
2 TB of M2 SSD's

Araa4dG.jpg

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Good timing on the thread bump, as I just busted out my our Xbox One a couple of days ago for the first time in nearly 3 years. I've got a couple of projects I'm working on right now, but hopefully I'll get back to some fun gaming in the next week or so :yesway:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Bumping for a new gear day (and for fans of older vid games). I found this sweet arcade controller while at the PC store this weekend, had to nab it! I love vintage games and this thing properly applies the old skool vibe. I was actually searching for a way to control trackball games because a mouse wasn't cutting it. Then I stumbled across this unit, read the reviews and was prepared to order it from Amazon but was shocked to see they actually stock them at a local B & M. Anyway, here's my humble gaming station with the new toy in action. If you like the old stuff, this thing is a beast (sturdy and nails the feel/control). With the right monitor you can even play standing up ala the old cabinets. I see some gaming nights soon at my place with friends (it's a two player board)!

Gaming-Setup.jpg

Gaming-Stool.jpg

Gaming-Standing.jpg

welp there goes the bad ass guitar videos guys. :erk:

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
I used to play both console and PC. But I now play only PC since I sold my PS4P.

Mostly action/shoot'em-ups and strategy games. My top list of game series are GTA (very into modding), Red Dead Redemption, Far Cry and Age of Empires. Among others.
Running them on an MSI Raider laptop with geforce 2080 RTX. External mouse or gamepad. Runs smooth in 4k. Love that laptop. It just eats games and is built like a tank.

Stepson plays nintendo switch.

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Good timing on the thread bump, as I just busted out my our Xbox One a couple of days ago for the first time in nearly 3 years. I've got a couple of projects I'm working on right now, but hopefully I'll get back to some fun gaming in the next week or so :yesway:

A couple of weeks turned into a little longer than two weeks, but I finally got around to firing it up recently. I have a couple/few good games (which I deleted/reinstalled so I can play them again), but thought I'd try something new, so I picked up a copy of MLB The Show 21 ... damn, these sports games have gotten a lot better since the last time I played one! Now that I have a number of exhibition games under my belt, I'm thinking it's about time to see how I can navigate a full season (and hopefully playoffs!). Gaming is like an old friend ... it's just so natural to get back into the swing of it (no pun intended).

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
It all started way back when I got Atari-Intellivison-nintendo-super nintendo-3DO -ps-ps2ps3ps4
Last of us.1&2
Ghost of Tsushima
Days gone
Hitman
AC4 black flag
Just to name a few

Big Zelda fan- super and prior

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Question:

Between Xbox and Playstation, which current system is best for:

FPS (local and online multiplayer)
Platform
Adventure

Do they both charge yearly fees for account or service access, backups, or anything else?

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
With Xbox you can get a deal where you get the gold, the game pass (Xbox AND PC games) AND the console for like 25 a month for 2 years.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access

@Vinsanitizer everything is going subscription my friend, it’s all SaaS or Hardware as a service anymore. You’re in IT, you’re familiar with the concept :)

Last edited: