The Vintage Modern Thread

• Thread starter steelhorse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coldsteal, The Whitesnake audio clip is awesome! I was so impressed that I compared it to the original and liked the cover version better. It had a better guitar solo and there were other nuances that sounded fuller.
What can you tell me about the musicians that recorded this? How did you come across this?
Keep on Rockin. And yes, the VM2266 sounded great.

He is a Musician that lives in Belgium that is a member
of the Vintage Modern forum and posted it.
I think he recorded it on a home recording setup.
I head him do a couple Zepplin songs before to and
were just as good.

He is the real deal for sure, i really like his sound and style of
playing its my kind of music!! wouldnt mind playing in a band
with him!
Belgium is a little out of the way hahah

DragonSarc

Reaction score
Yea he only had the master volume on "2" so wasnt able to push
the output tubes and speakers.
I have only been able to really crank mine a few times
when the neighbors were at work. It was brutal!

cold didnt u have a hotplate? so you can krank it while not really bugging next door?:hippie:

steelhorse

Reaction score
Wouldn't have helped if coldsteal had the hotplate because the guy who did the clip lives in Belgium. :(

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
hehehehee ;o)

I dont have hotplate but i have been thinking
of getting one. I just bought a new computer so
ill have to wait a while

stock_hippie

Reaction score
VM the DA CRUNCH MACHINE@@@@!!!no regae from dat beast!!!lol!!!!ROCK-ON-aloha-revivall!!

steelhorse

Reaction score
OK here's the report on the tube tests I said I'd do. First, I have the JJ high gain tubes in the V2 and V3 and a JJ high gain balanced in V4, and the stock Marshall in V1 to start with after the first swap. As a recap, I did have a JJ high gain in V1 but I took the tip off of it when I screwed the metal cap down so I simply put the stocker back in until I replaced it.

I ordered a few more high gain JJ's based on the numbers off the box from Euro Tubes.

I also ordered:

1: Tung Sol
4: Penta's

All based on the recommendations of Doug's Tubes for this amp (VM 2266) and my style of playing (hard rock, metal, blues).

I put a Penta into the V4 and the Tung Sol into the V1 sockets and tried the amp out. I noticed a loss of punch (for a lack of a better term) and it sounded rather lifeless with a dramatic decrease in gain.

I then added Penta's in V2 & V3 as well and it did improve it some but it lacked dynamics and hair.

I then replaced V4 with my JJ Balanced and it came back to life and really was ready for action when I took the Tung Sol out of V1 and replaced it with another high gain JJ.

My next test will be to try different power tubes out in addtion to birning in a few Mullard and Telefunken pre's to try out.

til next time......

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
steelhorse , lay the wisdom on me, how many marshall do you own , you must have
awsome colletion, .....................................signed ....one jelous hottubes 70.

steelhorse

Reaction score
The ongoing pre amp tube saga:

PT II

I just placed an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in V1 and like I was telling coldsteal it was like a blanket came off!

It's so much more 'powerful' and defined without feeling stiff. It just added punch without losing any crunch.

And this was in place of the JJ high gain, but you'll see above that I've already tried a Tung Sol and Penta in there as well.

Next is to go back to the stock in V1 and see how it holds up against the EH.

Stay tuned!

steelhorse

Reaction score
PT III

Put the stock back in and although it was somewhat louder it was a bit harsher than the EHX. I REALLY had to dial back the volume on the neck pickup to get it to smooth out and sweeten up.

I've also recently added a modded DS-1 to my board for alternative 'fuel' and it harshed the pedal out as well so back in the EHX went.

I highly recommend the EHX in the V1, it smoothed it out considerably, made the tone much sweeter without losing the raw edge and string articulation, the distortion was more defined and using my neck pickup or any pickup position was much easier and I could flip back and forth for a nice variety of tones without having to make other adjustments on the fly + the DS-1 sounded much more organic, very much like having yet another dynamic channel.

gnr1971

Reaction score
I bought a VM 2266 off ebay (see other post). I know they say to always change the tubes on a newly acquired used amp. My Question: The amp was brought out in 2007, right? Don't tubes usually last about 3 years+? So theoretically, I won't have to change out the tubes, right?

steelhorse

Reaction score
According to Steve D the creator of the VM he says about 1.5-2 years of steady playing before they need to be changed.

If they sound good to you, rock on!

steelhorse

Reaction score
The lowdown from Steve D about the pre amp tubes:

"OK guys here is the lowdown; -

V1 is the first gain stage included in the signal path on both dynamic ranges.

V2 is an extra gain stage which is included only on the high dynamic range.

V3 is the tone stack

V4 is the phase inverter.

If anybody requires any clarification of what the various pots and switches do on the Vintage Modern I would be happy to explain in detail; just give me a shout.

Steve"