Thor's Hammer...my JV JMP 2203

• Thread starter solarburn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You get me a big bottomed girl and I can be distracted enough for you to steal it away haha!:naughty::D

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
The clip sounds really good Joe !!:yesway:

I like the sound of this amp. :yesway:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clip sounds really good Joe !!:yesway:

I like the sound of this amp. :yesway:

Thanks Michael. It sure has some great tones in it waiting to be found and played. Heck there are still 2 more voicings I haven't clipped yet. The crunch is so much fun I'm stuck there. Joey designed that special for me. I likey! The EQ controls are really sensitive too. So dialling it in can lead to some other great unexpected tones. Pretty cool!

You'd have a blast handling it!:shred:

damienbeale

Reaction score

Okay, here goes a' listenin'.

BTW, I rarely ever listen to clips. Usually I either get dead bored, depressed 'cause just about everybody wipes the floor with my peculiar hamfisted style, or immense aural pain (since perfect pitch is a curse, not a blessing!!!!)

Wow, this thing sounds absolutely sick. Thick, plenty of gain, not fizzy.
I even like the slightly nasal "honk" that recording has imparted on it.

C'mon, where's the other modes, and the full "Guide to Thor's hammer"? ;) :shred:

Oh yeah, and you suck! ;) (BAH! Yet another that makes me feel hamfisted and incompetent!!!!! Knew I shouldn't have listened to all of it!:mad:Where's the razorblades...)

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, here goes a' listenin'.

BTW, I rarely ever listen to clips. Usually I either get dead bored, depressed 'cause just about everybody wipes the floor with my peculiar hamfisted style, or immense aural pain (since perfect pitch is a curse, not a blessing!!!!)

Wow, this thing sounds absolutely sick. Thick, plenty of gain, not fizzy.
I even like the slightly nasal "honk" that recording has imparted on it.

C'mon, where's the other modes, and the full "Guide to Thor's hammer"? ;) :shred:

Oh yeah, and you suck! ;) (BAH! Yet another that makes me feel hamfisted and incompetent!!!!! Knew I shouldn't have listened to all of it!:mad:Where's the razorblades...)

Hahaha! Thanks for hanging in there and listening to all that string noise Damien.:lol:

I'll try and get some more samples up soon and info on it. I need to figure out how to capture the Plexi side without blowing my recording devices mics...the plexi voicing has a real nice round clean to it with only guitar volume adjustments. Neck pup sounds sick on it. And of course digging in just gets better. It would be easy to use it for clean and switch to one of the other voicings for dirt.

This amp kicks arse. I'll be putting more up and promise the recordings will be short. A little here...a little there haha!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe are you still using the preamp tube lineup I had in the JMP or did you tweak it?

Same tubes Marty although I haven't seen what order they're in. Joey May have changed positions or not after putting everything back together. Since it sounds so good I've just been playing it like it is. Same tubes though.

I think in the near future I will try some of those TAD 34's in it. I liked the reports we got on them here. Although buying a quad is much more expensive than a deuce! I could always buy 2 and mix them with the 6CA7's already in there...if money gets too tight. Nice to have options.:yesway:

Joey Voltage

Reaction score
Same tubes Marty although I haven't seen what order they're in. Joey May have changed positions or not after putting everything back together. Since it sounds so good I've just been playing it like it is. Same tubes though.

I think in the near future I will try some of those TAD 34's in it. I liked the reports we got on them here. Although buying a quad is much more expensive than a deuce! I could always buy 2 and mix them with the 6CA7's already in there...if money gets too tight. Nice to have options.:yesway:

I'm not positive where I put which, I really just played around with whatever had less noise in the first socket. I think the RFT might be in the first position.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive where I put which, I really just played around with whatever had less noise in the first socket. I think the RFT might be in the first position.

Works for me. Ive often used an RFT in V1. I like their mid flavor. I'll take a look when I check bias soon. i need to get familiar with biasing it. Plus at this point I'd like to try some other power tubes or at least have them on hand. Mostly I'll be playing the shit out of it and get'n nothing done...:D

I'll let you know Marty when I look. I'm curious too. That's what happens when you become a tube roller.LOL

Joey Voltage

Reaction score
Some big amp company needs to grab you now and put you to work designing amps. Then when you're ready, do your own. You have so much to offer it pains me to see you not doing amps on a scale that suits your talents. My build could be a production amp.

That board is a perfect example. Design and execution.

I think it really comes down to the reality of how I do things, which is not very conducive to largish production. I could opt to do things in a way that would be faster, but at the expense of craftsmanship, and the "artistic" human component of the process.

That said I have made certain desisions on how I might handle things moving forward. I will probably try to push for more modification based jobs, and repair, but I might have some other plans as well in the near future, so we'll see.

Now gimme your dsl :D

Joey Voltage

Reaction score
Works for me. Ive often used an RFT in V1. I like their mid flavor. I'll take a look when I check bias soon. i need to get familiar with biasing it. Plus at this point I'd like to try some other power tubes or at least have them on hand. Mostly I'll be playing the shit out of it and get'n nothing done...

It's a little tricky at first, but once you get the equilibrium happening it's very stable.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it really comes down to the reality of how I do things, which is not very conducive to largish production. I could opt to do things in a way that would be faster, but at the expense of craftsmanship, and the "artistic" human component of the process.

That said I have made certain desisions on how I might handle things moving forward. I will probably try to push for more modification based jobs, and repair, but I might have some other plans as well in the near future, so we'll see.

Now gimme your dsl :D

Well ultimately because of your craftsmen ship I hope to see you running your own show. They are top notch and like you eluded to artistically "stated" and fashioned like no others. I'm just thinking of how many guitarist would love to play them.:yesway:

I think with the DSL I'd like to toss the boards, put an OT in it that is geared more(vintage)for me and less HIFI like the MM that's in it. Something in that amp is haunting it and killing tone and feel. It's been to 3 different mod/techs and still is not right. Something in there f'd up and elusive...:scratch:

There are some mods I really dig that would be cool and you wouldnt have to fashion a whole new amp. I don't like the MM power plant in it though. I'd like to try something else. I'm game if you are. Think about it and let's start planning the next build.:D

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pardon the slop here but I'm finger banging the strings. Yes girls I'm sloppy. It actually is a bit shorter...LOL.

The voicing is still on crunch but the EQ and resonance settings I changed. Also I'm using my EC1000 with a Dimarz Super D(same as Tele)in the bridge position. Amp gain is 2:30 on the clock. Resonance under 9am. No numbers on the knob there to orientate to. The EQ numbers below are actual pot numbers. Any boosting and cutting is guitar volume.

Presence 5
Bass 3.5
Mids 4
Treble 4

I did engage my MXR 108 10 band EQ I have in the loop when I state it in the vid. I bumped the 250hz to 4. The 500hz to 3 and the 1k is at 1. 8k to 5 and 16k at 6. The last 2 sliders are left over from the OR15. I didn't check how they effected the Marshall. Just left them that way. EQ pedal volume a tad under 0 and gain 0.

[ame=http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=ZkF2JQLRTjI]Give me some sugar baby... - YouTube[/ame]

Oh...and overall amp volume went from .5 to maybe .6

Anything higher rattles the phone mic.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
you know what Joe. I really admire your playing style. You just give it a crack no matter how you think it sounds. And the thing is that it still sounds phucking great. Your style is great man - you play from the heart and you have good technique.

And you coax gr8 tones from that amp man. You and JV are a match made in heaven.. Kudos brother. Kudos

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know what Joe. I really admire your playing style. You just give it a crack no matter how you think it sounds. And the thing is that it still sounds phucking great. Your style is great man - you play from the heart and you have good technique.

And you coax gr8 tones from that amp man. You and JV are a match made in heaven.. Kudos brother. Kudos

Gat damn Dozer thanks so much!:D

When Joey and I were talking about the build I sent some songs from Badlands self entitled disc and said can you get me there? That's what the crunch channel is designed to do. I said I want to raunch and roll and Joey replied I got something just for you...and it ain't refined haha! I also gave him other tunes and ground to cover and that's what the other 2 voicings are for.

But this crunch voicing is mine specially designed for when I want to do me...raunch! I've got to turn it loose somehow and somewhere. I have both covered now.:D

Last edited:

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Raunch n roll lol

Hey Joe. Demo the other channels, please :) pretty please :)

Last edited: