Thoughts on bulding a 1987x or a JTM45 into a 1x12 combo?

• Thread starter pomod
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pomod

Reaction score
Is this a crazy idea or what?
I had built an 18 watt 1974x clone a decade or so back and loved the portability size of it but regretted a bit not building the JTM45. That amp was sadly stolen (if anyone comes across a 18 watt Marshall in ivory tolex in Canada... I'm still always on the lookout for it.)

Anyway, I recently I got a chance to play through an amazing old Bluesbreaker which has re-ignited my Marshall jones and am thinking about building another kit. Would building it into a similarly sized 1x12 cab as the 1974x problematic/lame? I was thinking with a G12M-65 Creamback but open to speaker suggestions. Has anyone done this? Any pros or cons?

svinyard

Reaction score
I’m not an expert but sound quality is so much better in a head and cab. Obviously gigging with huge stuff sucks. But…packing around a 50+lb combo sucks too due to it being akward to maneuver the thing at angles into car etc. so I have a 50lb combo and a studio head+1965a cab (4x10). The head and cab are much easier to wrangle. The cab is only 35lbs and is much easier to load and move at distance without jacking up my back (I’m not old but sometimes weird angles and weight will hurt you).

The other side is the freaking cab and head sound glorious compared to the combo.

So yeah, I’d just find a used 1965 and a jtm head. Not heavy and easy to move around and you get much better sound than just a 1x12 but with similar weight. Those 1965 cabs are a serious gem.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Make sure your cab is a good size and not to 1974X spec, I'd think it could sound 'boxy' otherwise, just my 2c.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
I'd build it as a head. You can use it with any size cab. And if you're playing a gig with shared cabs in the backline, carrying the head only is easier. Or use it with a reactive load into the PA etc.. it's just more versatile. With the combo you are always carrying the speaker whether you need it or not.

2L man

Reaction score
My JTM45 1x12 combo will have a Blackbird 100.

K9Merc

Reaction score
I like the idea. Less stuff to load in and I prefer the sound of open back cabs because it fill the sound out better and not so directional. I say build it and if you don’t like put it in a head. No harm no foul.

dtier

Reaction score
I in the head and cabinet camp. A multi piece back cab allows the best of both worlds.

Latest posts