• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Thoughts on Ceriatone Yeti/2204??

• Thread starter Blcws6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blcws6

Reaction score
Im currently shopping for a new amp guys and Im looking towards Ceriatone. Namely the Yeti and the 2204. Ive read good stuff about ceriatone but the yeti is a new model and there arent many reviews on it or any sound clips.

Basically Im looking for that marshall tone and yet be able to get a decent clean tone as well. Would i be better off going the 2204 HW route or the yeti. i know the yeti is capable of higher gain sounds but Im worried with so many switches on the that thing, the tone might suffer.

If any of yall have any experience with either of these amps please share. I play in a cover band and we cover anything from beetles to Ac/DC, but i also like to play higher gain stuff when Im alone.

Thanks in advance

richieG

Reaction score
I can't comment on the Yeti, but I can comment on Ceriatone as I have dealt with them.

excellent customer service (do a web search and you will see what I mean)

His amps are all hand wired from turret boards and use really good quality components, and for what you get they are pretty cheap. The only thing that seems to be up for deabte is the quality of the Transformers......but I have a buddy who repairs amps and uses their trannies for those that want a cheaper repair with great success. Keep in mind also Ceriatone amps do not resell super well.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that the yeti is basically a hot rodded Plexi so you are going to be able pretty much cover all Rock music and metal..... I duuno about a clean tone like you describe But I am sure it would clean up rolling back the volume on your guitar......I would be more inclined to get a 6100 with the 3 channels for a cover band.

The 2204 would be pretty similar to the Yeti I would think but with less gain. They are great amps. The 2203 and 2204 are my favourite amps ever. Sound awesome, super versatile if you know what you are doing and take pedals great.

This does not answer your question, but may help a bit.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
had the 2204 ceriatone. excellent built quality for the price
upgraded the trannies and tone caps and never looked back though

V-man

Reaction score
said well above. Do you want the joy of building an AC Cobra 427 in your garage for a fraction of the genuine article's price (that will in turn resell for a fraction of its own price) or do you want the real deal?

Both are great options, but one may be a better fit than another. I am bottom-tier handy with an iron (managed to install a pwr switch, scorching the wires meanwhile. If you want to try different mods or cherry pick parts and have as much fun building, give them a try. otherwise, get a Marshall.

Thiez

Reaction score
said well above. Do you want the joy of building an AC Cobra 427 in your garage for a fraction of the genuine article's price (that will in turn resell for a fraction of its own price) or do you want the real deal?

Both are great options, but one may be a better fit than another. I am bottom-tier handy with an iron (managed to install a pwr switch, scorching the wires meanwhile. If you want to try different mods or cherry pick parts and have as much fun building, give them a try. otherwise, get a Marshall.

If you were on planning on building the 2204 yourself, i would do that without a ceriatone package. Maybe you will come out a little more expensive in the end, but you can choose whatever you want in it. Sozo, Orangedrops, Spangue caps? CC, CF, MO, MF resistors? MM, Drake, Classistone, IG transformers?
etc etc. And that gives an amp it's unique sound, thats why some marshall sound better then other marshall of the same series. Because jim used whatever was avalible.

Other then that, i don''t know about the yeti but the chupacabra sounds rocking! Hotrodded plexi's are the best for 70 and 80 rock!

Derek S

Reaction score
+1 on the respect for the Ceriatone customer service - anything you could need help with, they'll be there. I've fired off a couple of emails at times to ask them about my Cupacabra 100 and Nik (the dude who built it, which BTW, was an excellent job) got back to me every time within a few hours - super nice dude. Never heard the Yeti first hand, but the Chewpa kills. Love my Ceriatone amp.

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
I concur about the service.
I've had transformer problems with mine too, but aside from that it's pretty much proven to be my dream amp!

I have the JTM45/100 copy.

To be honest, down the road when I have the money again and want a meaner amp...
I'm torn between the Chupacabra and an actual Marshall.
I know that might sound heretical on this forum, but getting something handwired for so much less money is an appealing prospect.

JK1965

Reaction score
I got a Yeti 100 about a year ago. This is one killer amp! There is really nothing it won't do and do well at that. I could play blues, jazz, country with this thing if need be. The Plexi mode is huge sounding! Lots of clean headroom, crystal clear cleans. Run some pedals in that mode alone and it'll nail classic rock tones. There is also the 80's mode and the modern more high gain mode. In every mode there are a ton of tonal possibilities because of the two gains and the two bright switches.

As to a 2204, the Yeti will nail anything that can do all day long and so so much more. So it really wouldn't make sense to just go 2204 if you are looking for more versatility.

As others have said, Nik's customer service is second to none. A year later and I'm still absolutely thrilled with this amp. It is amazing! One of the good ones. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another amp from Ceriatone.

codyjarrett

Reaction score
With a few little mods you can get a '78 2204 to sound like this :D
& inexpensive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnsuAxV0eT0]Marshall 2204 JMP & V30's D4. - YouTube[/ame]

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
I got a Yeti 100 about a year ago. This is one killer amp! There is really nothing it won't do and do well at that. I could play blues, jazz, country with this thing if need be. The Plexi mode is huge sounding! Lots of clean headroom, crystal clear cleans. Run some pedals in that mode alone and it'll nail classic rock tones. There is also the 80's mode and the modern more high gain mode. In every mode there are a ton of tonal possibilities because of the two gains and the two bright switches.

As to a 2204, the Yeti will nail anything that can do all day long and so so much more. So it really wouldn't make sense to just go 2204 if you are looking for more versatility.

As others have said, Nik's customer service is second to none. A year later and I'm still absolutely thrilled with this amp. It is amazing! One of the good ones. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another amp from Ceriatone.

All this being said, I have a few questions. I know this isn't my thread, but I'm curious.

1) So is the general consensus that the Yeti is "darker" sounding than the Chupacabra? Because that's kind of what I'm gathering from the discussion here. I can't find any good demos of the Yeti out there to compare with the excellent Chupa demos I've found. I have honestly never figured out what the difference in the two is supposed to be.

2) What are the "modes" you speak of? I know both amps have this feature, but I'm not sure how this works. Diode clipping? Preamp cascade? Enlighten me, please!

Thanks

JK1965

Reaction score
All this being said, I have a few questions. I know this isn't my thread, but I'm curious.

1) So is the general consensus that the Yeti is "darker" sounding than the Chupacabra? Because that's kind of what I'm gathering from the discussion here. I can't find any good demos of the Yeti out there to compare with the excellent Chupa demos I've found. I have honestly never figured out what the difference in the two is supposed to be.

2) What are the "modes" you speak of? I know both amps have this feature, but I'm not sure how this works. Diode clipping? Preamp cascade? Enlighten me, please!

Thanks

Its supposed to be darker and a bit tighter sounding than the Chupa. I don't really know the difference as I've never played a Chupa. It really is the same amp with some tweaks in the voicing as I understand it. It also is said to clean up to a classic Plexi much easier than the Chupa. I can tell you that it does classic Plexi no problem. Sweet tone all day long.

The modes are what they call the era switch. Its a 3 way toggle. In the middle its the 60's mode which is a 100 watt plexi. Dime the master and its out of the circuit making gain one the volume pot. The nice thing is that it sounds HUGE in the this mode and there are tons more tone combos with the other gain and bright switches. So you can do a straight up 100 w plexi which is super loud and with tons of headroom and you can also add more gain and shape the tone in a more angry heavier way.

With the switch to the right you are in 80's mode which is basically a JCM 800 2203 with extra gain on tap which utilizes the Jose diodes as I understand it.

Flip the era switch to the left and you are in 90's which is a higher gain much more saturated tone. I could see using that mode for s few things but its too compressed for my liking. In fairness I haven't messed much with the 90's mode though as the other two are so wickedly awesome and I haven't even fully discovered all the gems it has to offer tone wise.

I bought a JCM 800 2203 back in 1983. I eventually sold it and eventually wanted to kick myself for it. I got back into more serious playing less than 2 years ago. I wanted something that not everyone had. Something that could do vintage as well as be more brutal. I couldn't be happier. I mean plug a Strat straight into this thing in Plexi mode and its just beautiful beyond words! I can honestly say that my 83 2203 had nothing on this amp. Not even close. I never would have believed that.

Sorry I couldn't be more technical. I'm just learning of such things. Back in the day we just turned em on, plugged in and let er rip with no thought to the hows or whys.

codyjarrett

Reaction score
What, pray tell, are said mods here?

Video's blurry, but it looks like the volume's at 12 on the dial?

Sounds awesome.

What I did to the 2204:
1. Replaced the V1A cathode resistor (10k stock) with a 4.7k and bypassed it with a .1uF cap.
2. Replaced the V1B cathode resistor (2.7k stock) with a 820r and changed the stock .68uF to a .47uF bypass cap.
3. Bypassed the V2A cathode resistor(820r) with a .68uF cap.
4. Tone stack lift ( removed the ground wire from the 25K L middle pot.)
5. Replaced the 33k tone stack slope resistor with a 47k.
6. Replaced the 100k NFB resistor with a 47k.
7. Replaced the stock .1uF on the presence to a .68uF.
8. Lowered the stock filtering (50uf+50uf) to 32uf+32uf preamp (16uf+16uf screen/PI) I left the mains at 50uf+50uf.

I made a schematic from the stock 2204 schematic.

marshalljmp2204mod04par.jpg

By codyjarrett at 2012-07-03

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
Hate to admit, but most of this is Greek to me!

I do want to learn all about this stuff though, eventually.

Anyway, what does the tone stack "lift" do, and in which direction does your mod send the presence?

And does the negative feedback change make a very drastic difference, in itself?

codyjarrett

Reaction score
Hate to admit, but most of this is Greek to me!

I do want to learn all about this stuff though, eventually.

Anyway, what does the tone stack "lift" do, and in which direction does your mod send the presence?

And does the negative feedback change make a very drastic difference, in itself?

Your avatar reminded me of SAFETY.:)

I use an alligator clip on pin 1 of V1 to ground (amp chassis), for about a minute.
This will drain all the dangerous voltages that can stop your heart & kill you.

The tone stack lift gives the amp more gain, the middle bass ect. controls will lose some FX but very easy to dial in this way.:D

The .68uF (SoZo) on the presence affects the mids & highs.
The .1uF (stock) only affects the highs.

The 47k NFB resistor makes the amp sound '67-'68 plexi.
It makes a big difference.