Thoughts on Tele Player Series?

• Thread starter giblesp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giblesp

Reaction score
Anyone own one of these? Would love to have a Tele in the collection.

How do they compare to the Classic Series? I had a CS Strat which to me was a good mid range guitar. Would have needed upgrades, to compete with the rest of my axes. So as stock, would never record with it

So for the more experienced players, would it be best to go for an American or higher end Mexican?

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I bought a Player Telecaster a few years ago - Sunburst with maple fb. I’ve acquired a few guitars over the past 40 plus years including American made Martins, Gibsons (2 LPs & J45 Standard) and Fender. My Player Tele is a real nice guitar- no complaints. Try to compare a Player with an American made Tele if you can. Best of luck.

giblesp

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The Tele's in the past that I've treid that have interested me have been the Highjway 1 series (2nd model with upgrades) and the Korean Lite Ash. Both were great guitars; the Lite Ash goes for a good price.

I've read good things about the Player Series,

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone own one of these? Would love to have a Tele in the collection.

How do they compare to the Classic Series? I had a CS Strat which to me was a good mid range guitar. Would have needed upgrades, to compete with the rest of my axes. So as stock, would never record with it

So for the more experienced players, would it be best to go for an American or higher end Mexican?
USA! Save your money for a USA model, and you might love it for the rest of your life. Buy a MIM, and you'll be selling/trading it in weeks or months.

I'm sorry, but I've owned a 2021 MIM Strat, a 2023 SMIM Strat, and 2 other MIM models, and I returned all of them over quality issues, ranging from a maxed out truss rod to the crappiest electronics I've ever seen on a guitar, to sharp fret ends, crappy nut slots, overall poor playability, and I'm talking about the $1K+ priced models. You can watch YouTube demos all week long, but when you get one in your hands and start setting it up, you're like "WTF is going on with this guitar?"

On the other hand, my 2020 USA Pro II is an incredible guitar, albeit, overpriced. Also, my 2023 USA Jazzmaster sounds like ass, but it's got the best build quality and neck I've played on a Fender. However, I'm disappointed by the prices. Upwards of $2K for a Fender USA bolt-on neck seems outrageous, and right now you can't even get them in a decent color.

Regardless, this is my 2020 Pro II again.

1700143667726.png

Last edited:

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I have a Tele Modern Player and I dont like it.
The pickups just dont sound good to me.

Apparently the Player series are better,

But I would recommend a Charvel San Dimas, I think they are made in the same factory.
I have a black one and its been my fav guitar for the last month, everything is right.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Tele Modern Player and I dont like it.
The pickups just dont sound good to me.

Apparently the Player series are better,

But I would recommend a Charvel San Dimas, I think they are made in the same factory.
I have a black one and its been my fav guitar for the last month, everything is right.
Yes, those are good guitars for around $1k or so. I think they come with a hard shell case? I tried one last year and considered buying it, but I'm pretty much just a G & F guy.

If you want a really good Fender, you'll have to start at about $1,800, and a really good Gibson at around $2,500-$3k, as of late 2023.

Either way, no matter what you buy, they're all overpriced for what you get anymore.

Last edited:

giblesp

Reaction score
USA! Save your money for a USA model, and you might love it for the rest of your life. Buy a MIM, and you'll be selling/trading it in weeks or months.

I'm sorry, but I've owned a 2021 MIM Strat, a 2023 SMIM Strat, and 2 other MIM models, and I returned all of them over quality issues, ranging from a maxed out truss rod to the crappiest electronics I've ever seen on a guitar, to sharp fret ends, crappy nut slots, overall poor playability, and I'm talking about the $1K+ priced models. You can watch YouTube demos all week long, but when you get one in your hands and start setting it up, you're like "WTF is going on with this guitar?"

On the other hand, my 2020 USA Pro II is an incredible guitar, albeit, overpriced. Also, my 2023 USA Jazzmaster sounds like ass, but it's got the best build quality and neck I've played on a Fender. However, I'm disappointed by the prices. Upwards of $2K for a Fender USA bolt-on neck seems outrageous, and right now you can't even get them in a decent color.

Regardless, this is my 2020 Pro II again.

View attachment 140198
That's a beauty mate. Love white strats.
I have a 50's Classic Player MIM Strat, amazing instrument. Easily in the same league as my USA Strat. I've also tried the same model but a different year, and it wasn;t as good.

I've also had a Classic Series MIM Strat that was good and solid, but more mid range. Could have done with a pick up upgrade. That was my backpacking, beater guitar, and was excellent for the task.

Used to be a 90's MIM Tele floating around my local rehersal studio/second home back in the day, which we were all impressed by. The later MIM stadards were pretty much inferior to that baby.
My experience of the Mexican factory has varied.

As mentioned, I tried a Lite Ash Korean tele and was very impressed.

kysrsoze

Reaction score
The Player Plus series is great. It’s a definite upgrade in quality over the regular Player series, for not a lot more money. They have nicer hardware, locking tuners, better pickups and a 12” radius neck with rolled edges. People compare these favorably with American Ultra versions. I have a Player Plus Strat and it’s a fantastic guitar... a major step up from my Player series, which is still pretty good. You might want to check one out.

Deftone

Reaction score
FWIW: I've owned four USA Strats...never bonded with any of them. Then I found a '91 MIJ '50's Hot Rod Reissue Strat in a music store and it rips. YMMV

Mike_LA

Reaction score
lyuubq7ljbbd9rf3mvuv.jpg

Reverb listing.

Ok, it's a korean tele but has a bound set neck and good build quality. For the price I looove mine, I did put a set of Phat Cat P90s in this one . . .

Last edited:

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
I bought a new Sunburst with Pau Ferro fretboard, traditional pickup setup, Telecaster Player a year or so back and would never buy another. And I have become a Tele only player. There quality is just not as good as they were and are not worth the money anymore in my opinion. I changed the electronics, the tuners, the pickups, the bridge, with fine tuned setups to my string preference and still don't like the guitar. It's become a dog I can't get anyone to take off my hands and can't bring myself to take out back and shoot. I use it as a hotel guitar now hoping someone will steal it.

giblesp

Reaction score
The Player Plus series is great. It’s a definite upgrade in quality over the regular Player series, for not a lot more money. They have nicer hardware, locking tuners, better pickups and a 12” radius neck with rolled edges. People compare these favorably with American Ultra versions. I have a Player Plus Strat and it’s a fantastic guitar... a major step up from my Player series, which is still pretty good. You might want to check one out.
Did that replace the MIM Delxue Tele? Tried one and loved it. For me, definitely in the same league as an American.

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Did that replace the MIM Delxue Tele? Tried one and loved it. For me, definitely in the same league as an American.
I’m really not sure. I just know it’s the current higher-end MIM line.

Latest posts