Fender Snapocaster Stratocaster

• Thread starter charlysays
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

charlysays

Reaction score
I would at least consider changing the brand of strings if you keep snapping the strings you have. Get a lime pack of Ernie Ball for schitts and giggles...
I will try some other brands, I think I found one other which does 10-38 so will get some of those next time.

Resident 217

Reaction score
Well yes then you should keep it of course!
My advice is take it to a good shop and get an expert to trouble shoot it and repair it.
Smaller guitar shops that have been established for longer periods tend to have the best
and more personal customer service. Probably wouldn't cost too much but worth it anyways.
Not seeing it I would say the bridge is defective in some way or not set up correctly.
Good Luck with it.
Tip.
Make sure the string ball ends are all the way into the block before tightening too much
pull the string up so it is snug before bringing to full tension. If this doesn't work then...^^^

Sollophonic

Reaction score
I change my strings after every gig, especially if it's a hot, sweaty, long event.

Two and a half hours playing in cramped pubs takes its toll on strings for me.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd see if I could get away with getting two gigs out of a set of strings.

I didn't because I broke a string during the first set of the next gig.

Back to Plan A.

Crikey

Reaction score
My strat is a real string breaker. It's a 2002 USA standard, it's totally stock.
I use fender voodoo child strings, tried both pure nickel and nickel plated (usually nickel plated because how quickly they snap).
I've already replaced the saddles for new stock ones (sintered block saddles), I use a pencil to add graphite to the them every string change and have been using bits of heat shrink to pad the string where it touches the edge of the trem block. I also use graphite in the nut every string change.
90% of the time they snap just as the string climbs onto the saddle, rest of the time either by the trem block or over a random fret. So the saddles still appear to be the main issue despite being new but even sheathing the strings doesn't prevent snappage at the trem block for long.
it seems to have gotten worse since I flattened the trem against the body and tightened the springs, to help with bends. It used to float a bit and seem to snap less strings then?!
Replacing the saddles and using heat shrink has resulted in the strings almost lasting almost 3 gigs vs 1 gig.

Meanwhile my Tele lasts about 5-10 times as long without breaking a string- its a mexican "squier" with the cheapo barrel saddles. In fact I re-use the snapocasters unreliable strings on the tele and use the tele as a rehearsal guitar to economise and these strings are lasting months.

Anyone got any ideas?

Would be great to reliably get 3-5 gigs out of a set of strings :)

Any reviews for graphtech saddles? Heard they can noticeably affect the tone?

Or alternative strings which have the light bottom (comparatively) heavy top arrangement (10-38 ish). Maybe it's the strings?!

Thanks in advance :)
had same issue decades ago with fender saddles, got graph tech saddles and never break strings at the saddle

Crikey

Reaction score
I change my strings after every gig, especially if it's a hot, sweaty, long event.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd see if I could get away with getting two gigs out of a set of strings.

Back to Plan A.
what? change strings nearly every gig?? damn.

charlysays

Reaction score
had same issue decades ago with fender saddles, got graph tech saddles and never break strings at the saddle
Were there any issues with tone loss? I did look into them but was concerned about tone loss. Graphtech are expensive which I wouldn't begrudge if there was no noticeable difference in sound vs the fender saddles.
The saddles on my strat are the sintered block saddles which look a lot easier on strings than the folder vintage ones.

charlysays

Reaction score

Back to Plan A.
I was doing this last summer, cost me too much in strings - about 5% of my pay for every gig!
I take two guitars to gigs now so I have one waiting in the wings if there's a breakage.
I would say your breakage isn't likely to do with corrosion in such a short space of time, sounds like a guitar or picking intensity issue?
With regards corrosion though I get sweaty too.. I just give the guitar a good wipe down after gigs and use GHS fast fret on the strings, massively improves string life. When the fast fret dries out a bit just top it up with WD40 lol.

charlysays

Reaction score
Well yes then you should keep it of course!
My advice is take it to a good shop and get an expert to trouble shoot it and repair it.
Smaller guitar shops that have been established for longer periods tend to have the best
and more personal customer service. Probably wouldn't cost too much but worth it anyways.
Not seeing it I would say the bridge is defective in some way or not set up correctly.
Good Luck with it.
Tip.
Make sure the string ball ends are all the way into the block before tightening too much
pull the string up so it is snug before bringing to full tension. If this doesn't work then...^^^
I did contact the best luthier in the area and he basically said that he snaps a lot of strings too and that I had already tried everything he would try (different strings/ makes/ gauges, new saddles, lubricating saddles and nut, heat shrink on string ends).
This guy builds beautiful electric and acoustic guitars with phenomenal finish quality and action but perhaps isn't a massive fender aficionado.

I think I've solved it though- currently on about 4 gigs worth of use and no breakages yet (in rehearsals). The best I ever got before I re-floated the bridge was about 2 gigs.

I've floated the trem up, about 1/4", blocked it (to stop it de-tuning during bends) and consequently dropped the saddles way down to achieve the recommended action- the E strings are almost decked onto the trem plate. As a result the angle coming up from the trem onto the saddle is much reduced- this is where the strings were almost always breaking even with new saddles.
The angle out of the trem block is now extreme clearly, but the string never broke there anyway since I started sheathing them with heat shrink.

Just need some shorter saddle grub screws now and I think I'm set.

Crikey

Reaction score
Were there any issues with tone loss? I did look into them but was concerned about tone loss. Graphtech are expensive which I wouldn't begrudge if there was no noticeable difference in sound vs the fender saddles.
The saddles on my strat are the sintered block saddles which look a lot easier on strings than the folder vintage ones.
I recall zero tone loss.
I was a touring musician at the time and that strat saddles keep breaking strings too many times. Graph tech solved the issue.
Course when the strat string broke my 72 goldtop with p90s got lotsa gig time

Sollophonic

Reaction score
I was doing this last summer, cost me too much in strings - about 5% of my pay for every gig!
I take two guitars to gigs now so I have one waiting in the wings if there's a breakage.
I would say your breakage isn't likely to do with corrosion in such a short space of time, sounds like a guitar or picking intensity issue?
With regards corrosion though I get sweaty too.. I just give the guitar a good wipe down after gigs and use GHS fast fret on the strings, massively improves string life. When the fast fret dries out a bit just top it up with WD40 lol.
They are Telecasters and I hit them pretty hard. Might try something that prolongs the string life, though I don't fancy the thought of WD40 anywhere near. I always gig with a spare guitar, in fact I have sometimes brought three to a gig.

There's also the lovely feeling of playing a fresh new set of strings......

charlysays

Reaction score
They are Telecasters and I hit them pretty hard. Might try something that prolongs the string life, though I don't fancy the thought of WD40 anywhere near. I always gig with a spare guitar, in fact I have sometimes brought three to a gig.

There's also the lovely feeling of playing a fresh new set of strings......
For a while I'd take one guitar to a gig with brand new strings until the day I fitted a new set, carefully brought them up to tension only for the top E to snap- never even played it!
Two + guitars all the way. String snappage is just part of the game but changing strings mid gig isn't a good look and it's always an important string which snaps.
My luthier actually recommended WD40 but I'm questioning that now lol...
I use GHS fast fret but had been topping it back up with WD40, I think I'll buy a bottle of white mineral oil which is what it should be! Could add a drop of WD40 just for the smell lol.