Tone King Mini II, SV20H and 1936 Lead Cab

• Thread starter ericg23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ericg23

Reaction score
New to heads and cabs, mainly only used/owned combo tube amps in my day. However, couldn't resist the plexi sound at the price point of the SV20H. I have a lightly used 1936 Lead 2x12 cab that I'd like to run the SV20H through, but I will need to attenuate it. Was able to purchase a Tone King Iron Man Mini II attenuator, but the Tone King only runs at 8 ohms.

This is where the confusion sets in. What output on the SV20H should I run to the Tone King, and which input on the 1936 Lead should I connect to the Tone King's output. Definitely don't want to blow the SV20H. I just find the outputs on the back of the SV20H confusing; it's unclear which of two jacks (2 or 3?) is the 1x8 and which is the 2x16 (I've attached the manual picture for reference).

Any help here is definitely appreciated!Marshall SV20H.PNG

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can run a speaker cable from either the 2nd or 3rd output to your Tone King. Then run a speaker cable from the Tone King to the mono 8-ohm input on the cabinet.

:welcome: to the forum, and enjoy the amp!

RLW59

Reaction score
2 and 3 are both connected in parallel to the output transformer's 8 ohm tap.

The output transformer's 8 ohm tap wants to see a total 8 ohm load. It doesn't care how many cabs it's connected to, or how many speakers are in the cabs -- it just wants everything using jacks 2 and/or 3 to total 8 ohms.

One 8 ohm cab, use either jack 2 or 3.

Two 16 ohm cabs in parallel is 8 ohms total, so plug one 16 ohm cab into jack 2 and the other 16 ohm cab into jack 3.

(If you want to use two 8 ohm cabs, you plug them into the jacks labeled "1x4ohm/2x8ohm".)

JohnH

Reaction score
1936's are wired for 8 Ohm aren't they? If so, easiest is one of the 1x8 outputs on the amp to the 8 Ohm attenuator. Then the attenuator to the 8 Ohm cab

Latest posts