Tone Shift Button Trashing Shows Your Inexperience

Reaction score
No I really don't. I like them for what they are - a single channel amp. Pick a channel/mode, set it how you like it, and just keep it there. When used in that way they're very good.
This doesn't make any sense. The DSLHR can easily deliver cleans, light crunch, mid crunch, and searing hi gain by flipping through modes. 4 distinct and useful flavors.

If I wanted 1 channel set and forget, I would get an Origin....which I might anyway, lol

LCW

Reaction score
This doesn't make any sense. The DSLHR can easily deliver cleans, light crunch, mid crunch, and searing hi gain by flipping through modes. 4 distinct and useful flavors.

If I wanted 1 channel set and forget, I would get an Origin....which I might anyway, lol

Similar experience with my 40CR combo. Totally useable and good sounding in all 4 modes without even messing with EQ.

el_bastardo

Reaction score

I was using an early JCM2000 model. I don't know about the "HR". I don't even know what that is.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
This is just another one of those things where there is no right or wrong. If you like it, have at it. You're not wrong for liking it, I'm not wrong for disliking it.

If you're playing for a crowd, they only care if you sound good to them or not. They don't care if you have the Tone Shift button pushed in. They don't even know what a Tone Shift button is.

"Man, these guys rock!"

"Yeah, but he has the tone shift button pushed in."

"Damn, you're right, let's go."

:iough:

Michael Inglis

Reaction score
So I finally tried the tone shift with a Les Paul and a P90 SG.

The verdict - DSL "tone shift" sucks. What a shit "feature".

I get the appeal for basement jammer at low volume all by himself with a 9 string drop tuned lame ass djent guitar. It's great for that. But for rock and roll, playing live with an actual band at actual band volumes, tone shift is shit.

Smh, wow your really not getting it are you? Lol If your guitar sounds good without the tone shift it will likely sound bad with it. Marshall is way to ambiguous about it's purpose. I use all my 6 strings without the tone shift engaged and I would be stupid to engage it with them. But my seven string tuned in b standard which means high tension and resonance going into powered fishman fluence modern pups makes for a way too full sound that can't be EQ'd to sound good and I can't just roll back the volume knob either it would just be quieter but still saturated to far. The tone shift allows the amp to not become seriously over saturated in THIS situation. I didn't say a regular les paul with p90s lol. I realize explaining this is futile but marshalls decision to leave the TS button so ambiguous really gets under my skin. 90% of the time it's not needed but when it is it just is. Are their teenage bedroom players using the tone shift wrong while on a break from their jack off marathon? Yes, but that does not mean marshall included the button which cost extra money just to appeal to morons on a break from jerking off.

Antmax

Reaction score
I use it occasionally when I'm being lazy and have OD modern gain on in the clean channel, sounds too bright and glassy with way too much touch sensitivity. Press the tone shift and it becomes a bit more manageable without having to fiddle with pedals and amp. Occasionally I try it when my practice tone is too saturated while playing certain songs that I don't play often.

I guess for me it's my lazy button when I want to flatten the tone a bit for a few minutes without messing up my favorite settings I use most of the time. Not sure what the real point of it is in a band situation and sometimes it would be nice if Marshall spent more time with their manuals. Rather than a couple of double page spreads with the equivalent of speech bubbles explaining what each button does badly.

JAC

Reaction score
I would play a seven string Asian electric but............I don't look good in dreadlocks. What is classic rock? We didn't call it that you see!

CraigP

Reaction score
Threw this together last month. No drop tuning or anything, just a little rock riff.

BTW what ever happened to el_bastardo, haven’t seen anything from that dude in a long time.

Seems as though it "shifts" the tone a bit when pushed in/out LOL

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
If I had a very, very bright guitar, I would try it, see if it would calm the instrument down, but other than that I have no use for it :shrug:

EADGBE

Reaction score
I like the deep button more than the tone shift.

Latest posts