torpedo capture x marshall head

• Thread starter alexhenebury
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alexhenebury

Reaction score
Hi all , been playing marshalls 30 years plus and am thinking on load boxes etc. Not sure exactly what the capture x does - it has attenuation which I get - can reduce volume of amp so I can crank up the master volume. Now - all the other stuff - cab simulation , mics , reverbs , etc etc does / can that also be used when using the attenuation? ie not using xor out / phones etc.
what I am asking is can I use just a marshall , capture x and my 4 x 12 with the capture x attenuating the sound and the other features cab sim / reverb are also added to the sound - come through the speakers?
or do these features only work on the other outputs - not to the guitar speakers ?
Hope that makes sense , thanks

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Hi

I have owned the older Captor and the Reload.

The Captur x is a stepped attenuator, meaning the degree of attenuation is fixed. For attenuation, there are better options such as the Reload which has attenuation from 0 to 100 and all inbetween.

Having said that, you would go cab out of Marshall to thr Captur X, then from the Captur X to the cab itself and that is where the attenuation will be. It will then step down from say 20% volume, 50% volume and 100% volume.

Honestly, creating a line level to record the Two Notes stuff is really good. But if you are looking to crank the amp and really control the output to the speaker, I would avoid the Captur X and get a proper attenuator.

Mike

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Regarding effects, they only apply to the emulated output from what I know.

As they are post production effects, they have no use between the amp and the cab

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend the Captor X as an attenuator. It can work as an attenuator without needing to be powered even though it comes with a power supply for cab sims. As pointed out it has three modes. Well, two really. 100% (or bypassed) 50% and 20%. That is okay if you are looking to quickly reduce the volume coming out of your cab but insufficient for fine-tuning your tone. You really want more steps in between 100% and 0%, preferably a dial, not a switch, with much more subdivisions. That gets you more control over exactly how much dB you will go down. So I have a separate attenuator for this and use the Captor X as a loadbox for cab sims to FRFR and this is where it excels.

V-man

Reaction score
Even though responses are coming 6 months after the OP, the Captor was devised as a “Bang for your buck, Swiss Army knife,” and that is exactly what it is.

If you want a screwdriver you’ll pick up a properly-sized Philips/flathead, not the SA knife. If you want to cut rope, you’d reach for a full grip knife with appropriate blade, not the SA knife… but you aren’t about to bring a $2,500 tool box backpacking.

When you can’t/won’t pay $5k+ on a handful of studio/stage grade gear, but you would rather pay $500 on 4+ functional features than $1,500+ on one, the Captor X is the product marketed for you.

LyseFar

Reaction score
I am using my Super Lead much more after I got the Two-Notes Captor X. It is, in my opinion, difficult to record a cranked Super Lead with microphones. Some (U87, U67) will crap out under high volume pressure - then we are in Shure SM7, 57 and some ribbons territory. And then you will have to have a really good isolated, prepared studio for using microphones and be good at mic placement aswell.

When using the Captor with good IR's you will get good results every time. I promise ;-)
I have used the Captor X one time live and it worked OK. It is a drawback that the attenuation is in steps., I was using a small cab as monitor and then send two outputs to FOH.
You can control how the output works (stereo, dual mono etc.) which I think is awsome. Opens the possibility to use one off the XLR outputs as "send" for maybe a wet/dry setup and place some effects there before FOH or before a second power amp (Usefull for us with no effect loops).
Yeah endless possibilities. I like this unit...

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Regarding effects, they only apply to the emulated output from what I know.

As they are post production effects, they have no use between the amp and the cab

The effects are a little different in that they change the cab response rather than post-processing a recorded sound. The reverb though is probably a post-effect. Anyway, they are connected with getting the tone to sound as good as possible. You use other post-processing in your DAW for fine-tuning that with EQ etc.

You can set the Captor X to produce a wet and dry signal. In your DAW you will have two channels. One of those channels will contain the dry signal without emulation while the other will carry the cab sim selected through the Captor X software.

Both the wet and dry signals can have as many real pedals as you want before the amp, in the fx loop etc.

You use Wall of Sound (or whatever IR/cab emulator you want) as a plugin for the dry channel and you can set a completely different cab sim, micing up etc. Also, it can do multiple microphones whereas the Captor X only does two.

Wall of Sound, IMO, is the more powerful cab/sim for getting what you want through headphones whereas using the Captor X's software in the unit is more for a live performance.

The reason for using Wall of Sound is that your cab sims, including the ones you buy, are interchangeable with other Two Notes hardware for the most part.