Trade Hiwatt Custom 100 for JVM JSH?

• Thread starter The Ozzk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Your multi input Hiwatt gives you a choice of sounds and setups. maybe guys like Satch and VH etc... have gotten to an age where they're tired of 'exploring' and just want 'the sound'. they've gone through decades of sounds and now can't be bothered anymore, or it's not worth bothering about.
we'll only know the answer when we know what they know and have lived as long as they've lived.
sounds to me like you're in the exploring stage.
I'm in the elimintating stage.
Satch is in the satisfied stage.

If you're still exploring you're not going to be satified.

Satch has hand picked all his fav sounds, he realises he's 'lost' this and 'gained' that but he KNOWS all about sound. He's accepted all the faults.
Are you ready to accept the amp as the end of your search?
if not, forget it!

you need to decide which sound faults do you hate. and eliminate them and then get to the satified state.
cheers.

lovehifi

Reaction score
I have the HJS and even though its an awesome amp they can always be found new or used. I haven't played through a Hiwatt since way back in the day but if I had one I would hold on to it. Or just save and get the HJS too but keep the Hiwatt. At least I would.

johnfv

Reaction score
Keep the Hiwatt and get the JVM JS. The JVM410JS is great amp for getting damn near any tone you want at the touch of a button (midi footswitch in my case). I lived with the stock 410 for a few weeks and didn't care for it so much. I returned it and got the JS - it's a keeper. I initially had some midi issues but Marshall provided an update quickly to resolve. For the classic tones I play the Satriani was much better. I'm not a high gain player, I use the Clean and Crunch channels far more than the OD channels and nothing is set to red. The OD channels have much more gain than I will use but I get great lead tones and chugging rhythm when I want. What really sold me is the clean is almost as good as my plexi and the crunch is almost as good as my 2204; I did not feel that way about the stock JVM410H. Having crazy gain with no boost/OD pedal required is bonus. Getting all those tones out of a single head makes it a KILLER gig rig. The gates are very functional (and I'm not a big reverb fan so don't miss it). That said, my Hiwatt, 2204, Showman, 1959T, etc. can all do their ONE THING better than the JS.

Last edited:

dreyn77

Reaction score
The main reason Joe's using this amp is, it WILL last him along time without much hassle from breakdowns etc...

he's also probably using digital recording techniques.

who knows about the future! he might end up just like Judas Priest and realize they shouldn't have been using strange pickups and pedal combinations, they should have just plugged in the EMG's in the first place. ;)

have another listen to JP 82 and hear how the amps struggle to make a consistant sound throughout the whole show from their 'strange techniques' fuzzy/buzzy/wahwah sound, and compare to the latest strong (treble enhanced, weak bass) sound. atleast it's consistant throughout the whole show/tour.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
The main reason Joe's using this amp is, it WILL last him along time without much hassle from breakdowns etc...

he's also probably using digital recording techniques.

who knows about the future! he might end up just like Judas Priest and realize they shouldn't have been using strange pickups and pedal combinations, they should have just plugged in the EMG's in the first place. ;)

have another listen to JP 82 and hear how the amps struggle to make a consistant sound throughout the whole show from their 'strange techniques' fuzzy/buzzy/wahwah sound, and compare to the latest strong (treble enhanced, weak bass) sound. atleast it's consistant throughout the whole show/tour.

the only thing wrong w/ JP in 1982 & Screaming For Vengeance which came out that year is that they got a bitt too happy w/ the chorus pedal.