Tremolo and Reverb Pedal Recommendations.

• Thread starter fat_lenny
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
Ended up getting the Boss TR-2 tremolo pedal.

The fender treverb had me interested but it wasn’t going to work with my BBE Supacharger power supply.

Still on the fence with the reverb. Played a few, all good sounding so I really just need to make a call.
did you consider the new(white blue) tech 21 boost rvb ? I was eyeing this one up but just ordered less expensive Fender Marine Layer after a very good experience with the Fender Bubbler Chorus.
I started preferring the built in reverb on my DSL20 and DSL1 to the TC Electronic Sky Surfer, which has useful controls but the sound lacks something, maybe transparency is an issue, the Sky Surfer makes my tone sound middly and steely somehow.

fat_lenny

Reaction score
did you consider the new(white blue) tech 21 boost rvb ? I was eyeing this one up but just ordered less expensive Fender Marine Layer after a very good experience with the Fender Bubbler Chorus.
I started preferring the built in reverb on my DSL20 and DSL1 to the TC Electronic Sky Surfer, which has useful controls but the sound lacks something, maybe transparency is an issue, the Sky Surfer makes my tone sound middly and steely somehow.

Didnt consider the Tech21, but mainly because I couldn't play it before buying.

I really liked the Fender TreVerb, but it drew more power than the 200ma maximum output on my power supply. so it was out.

Been really happy with the Holy Grail Neo

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
Didnt consider the Tech21, but mainly because I couldn't play it before buying.

I really liked the Fender TreVerb, but it drew more power than the 200ma maximum output on my power supply. so it was out.

Been really happy with the Holy Grail Neo
Check the shops' return policy, you usually just have to pay the return postage.
Regarding a power supply, I have to mention that I found Behringer brand very quiet so I bought another one but it must have been a sub brand without brand name but same type number in the same box. Search for : BEHRINGER Power The World PSU giving out 1.7A, steady 9.2 voltage with and without load so no nasty voltage jumps when some cheap psu have to be sufficiently loaded to get the correct voltage.
Or supposedly RAAD brand pride itself on making these super quiet but less Ams and I have no experience with them as I am happy with the cheaper "BEHRINGER Power The World PSU".
Yes the Tre verb looks very tempting and watched many videos but I went for Marine Layer as it has the Pre-delay function and is more theakable imho. If I was looking for spring emulation again, I would certainly consider the Tre Verb. The tremolo on it would be a bonus. Or I might go the whole hog and get the real spring thing : Vermona VSR 3.2 a nifty little rack unit, which would sit nicely on the top my head and connect it to the amp's loop. Not sure if the Vermona can do the drip thing though.

fat_lenny

Reaction score
Check the shops' return policy, you usually just have to pay the return postage.
Regarding a power supply, I have to mention that I found Behringer brand very quiet so I bought another one but it must have been a sub brand without brand name but same type number in the same box. Search for : BEHRINGER Power The World PSU giving out 1.7A, steady 9.2 voltage with and without load so no nasty voltage jumps when some cheap psu have to be sufficiently loaded to get the correct voltage.
Or supposedly RAAD brand pride itself on making these super quiet but less Ams and I have no experience with them as I am happy with the cheaper "BEHRINGER Power The World PSU".
Yes the Tre verb looks very tempting and watched many videos but I went for Marine Layer as it has the Pre-delay function and is more theakable imho. If I was looking for spring emulation again, I would certainly consider the Tre Verb. The tremolo on it would be a bonus. Or I might go the whole hog and get the real spring thing : Vermona VSR 3.2 a nifty little rack unit, which would sit nicely on the top my head and connect it to the amp's loop. Not sure if the Vermona can do the drip thing though.

I use a BBE SupaCharger to power my pedal board. Its been flawless and I dont want to replace it for one pedal, it has 6 x 100ma outputs and 2 x 200ma outputs, I think the Treverb wants 350ma. Not about to upgrade my power supply, so the fender stuff as awesome as it sounds was out.

Really happy with the Holy Grail, and for Tremolo, the Boss unit is solid.

fat_lenny

Reaction score
So, here is the pedal board as it currently stands.

The HM-3 is only there because people see it an get excited that its a HM-2. The amount of disappointed people makes having the pedal there worth it. Haven't had a use for it since the mid 90's.

The SD-1, works for one guitar through a specific amp. I keep it for that, but its not going to last long. Everything else on the board I love.

fat_lenny

Reaction score
me to. told ya it was a "set it and forget it" type pedal.

No complaints from me on the recommendation. I'll be recommending it to people now.

Any recommendations to replace the HM-3 and SD-1. I should just take them off and not fill the space. Thought about a phase 90, but dont think there is any need for it in my band. A second delay could be an option but definitely no need for any more overdrive or fuzz.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
No complaints from me on the recommendation. I'll be recommending it to people now.

Any recommendations to replace the HM-3 and SD-1. I should just take them off and not fill the space. Thought about a phase 90, but dont think there is any need for it in my band. A second delay could be an option but definitely no need for any more overdrive or fuzz.

what type music yo play?

fat_lenny

Reaction score
SD-1 is a weird pedal. I got mine cheap, so no complaints but next to the Soul Food and Red Llama it just doesn't shine. I find it a little muddy and a bit noisy compared to the others.

Worth a crack if you find one cheap, or even better to borrow.

what type music yo play?

Current band plays stuff along the lines of;

Mojo Nixon
Junior Brown
Hank Williams III
Supersuckers (country phase)

Over the years though everything from metal, through blues. Mellowing out as I get older.

giam23

Reaction score
Thread title sort of says it all.

Looking for recommendations for Tremolo and Reverb pedals. I'm not looking to spend stupid money on boutique pedals at this stage. Id prefer to be able to try before I buy.

Curious as to what everyone was using, or has experience with, particularly from the pedals listed.

Ive been looking at, in no particular order, the following as they are available to play and purchase locally.

Fender Tre-Verb could take care of everything in one pedal.

Tremolo
Boss TR-2
TC Electronic Pipeline

Reverb
Boss RV-6
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail
MXR M300
TC Electronic Hall Of Fame 2
Fender Marine Layer reverb
My favorites

Reverb:
TC hall of fame (or mini)
Catalinbread Topanga
Mr Black supermoon (fender style)

Tremolo:
Supro Tremolo
JHS Tidewater or Kodiak Tremolo
Love the tremolo on the Line6 MOD PRO but that definitely not what you want

TM1

Reaction score
I have a Fulltone Supa-Trem made in 1996 and about 2 weeks back I bought a new, Supa-Trem Stereo ( a blem). And I also got an Origin Effects RevivalTrem! Both are amazing and do very different things.
Reverb; I have a Carl Martin “Headroom” reverb unit. It’s about the size of a cou0le of big pedals, but has real Springs and sounds amazing! I’ve not heard any digital reverbs that sound good.

Detlef

Reaction score
If you are willing to spend some money you should try the Immerse MkII by Neunaber. Best reverb I've ever owned, you can find some good reviews on YouTube, also one made by Peter Thorn.

John Willcutts

Reaction score
The real "Holy Grail" of reverb pedals is the Strymon Big Sky, but it may cost over $400, but it's so loaded it's not exactly user friendly with all the tweeting one may want to do with while go anywhere and everywhere with Real Live Reverb. The Strymon Blue Sky is about half the price and easier to manage than the super comprehensive Blue Sky. The ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail and Oceans 11 are good buys for lower budget reverbs as is the Fender Marine Layer Reverb.
Also, you really can't go wrong with the Keely Electronics stuff, if You want to try that.
Good Luck with it!!
P.S. Being an Old School kind of guy, i still like and appreciate the old spring reverbs built into some amps even in a lot of new models today though it does limit your reverb founded of course only available in pedals unless You have an all out Rack Mount device with nearly infinite possibilities and a price tag to go with it!!' Some folks still swear by the tube driven tremolos available in some tube amps of yesterday and today

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
So I have the Fender Marine Layer Reverb for a couple of weeks now and I am not really a reverb person as I mostly play fast metal stuff. I like the pre-delay function a lot. When I dial to really hear the reverb, then you know, the sound content gets too busy/muddy quickly on simpler reverbs, but with the pre-delay I can get better note separation, so the reverb does not get in the way even with fast distorted stuff and can still hear the reverb. I find it to be effective. Although for the best palm muted chug chug note separation no reverb at all would be my bet.
And the reverb types sound great. No drop in volume when engaged either.
The pilot jewel light is not as intense as on the Bubbler Chorus, but I also tamed it by squashing a tiny bit of Bostik blu tack on the jewel, so you can see the light through it. Not as pretty as the faceted jewel but at quick glance, it does not look bad.
It would be great to have a function for detuning as the reverb fades out, the opposite of the shimmer. The shimmer needs slow playing, so as you guessed, I'd prefer the modulated cathedral more. It detunes the reverb tails a bit but having control over how fast the detune comes in would be great. At least I would like to think that the mild detuning of the reverb tails without sounding out of tune would make the new notes pop out even better.
Best reverb pedal i have right now.

Roag Jones

Reaction score
Really suprized noone has brought up the 90s marshall reflector, 7 modes, all usable,. Metal casing, super cheap.....works for me