Triode/pentode Switch On Back Of Dsl40c - Where Is It?

• Thread starter Rick in HB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick in HB

Reaction score
I just bought a new DSL40C and there is no triode/pentode switch on the back. There IS a three position "Output" switch on the front - right next to the power swithch - marked with High, Low and Standby. Does this function in the same way as the missing tube selection switch on the back?

Is this a new design? I have not seen this front panel switch in ANY DSL40 photos online or in magazines - or even in the online manual. My bad that I inadvertently and immediately threw out the manual that came with the amp.

PU239

Reaction score
The power reduction does not use pentode/triode. There are many better ways to achieve power reduction now.

Rick in HB

Reaction score
Cool. Glad to know I didn't get some sort of aberration. I hesitate to ask what the new approach is because I probably won't understand the explanation but if you're willing to give it a shot I'm all ears.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I just bought a new DSL40C and there is no triode/pentode switch on the back. There IS a three position "Output" switch on the front - right next to the power swithch - marked with High, Low and Standby. Does this function in the same way as the missing tube selection switch on the back?

Is this a new design? I have not seen this front panel switch in ANY DSL40 photos online or in magazines - or even in the online manual. My bad that I inadvertently and immediately threw out the manual that came with the amp.
If there is triode, it would be: "low." Pentode is high.
I found a schematic, it is triode / pentode.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705608

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Congrats on your new amp man, I gotta ask did you buy this at a store or online?

Rick in HB

Reaction score
Thanks! Got it at Guitar Center. Waited for their next sale - sometimes they offer 30%, the Presidents Day sale was only 15% but with the open box price of $615 and the 15% I got it for $522 before tax. I had been watching what looked like some decent used amps on eBay that were in the $550 range (plus shipping), so I thought this was a fairly decent deal. I've bought guitars on eBay before (got a perfect condition 2017 model PRS custom 24 with Floyd Rose for only $625 last October) but was a bit nervous about an amp without touching/hearing.

LCW

Reaction score
Thanks! Got it at Guitar Center. Waited for their next sale - sometimes they offer 30%, the Presidents Day sale was only 15% but with the open box price of $615 and the 15% I got it for $522 before tax. I had been watching what looked like some decent used amps on eBay that were in the $550 range (plus shipping), so I thought this was a fairly decent deal. I've bought guitars on eBay before (got a perfect condition 2017 model PRS custom 24 with Floyd Rose for only $625 last October) but was a bit nervous about an amp without touching/hearing.

If you got the new 40CR for $522 that is an amazing price!!!!... it *just* got released right after NAMM in January 2018.

Rick in HB

Reaction score
Yeah, I called on 2/16 to see if they had a 40C. The guy said they just got one in and put it on the floor the day before, so I put some money down and had them hold it until the next day. He never said it was a new model - I don't even know if he knew. I didn't until asking about the pentode/triode switch on this forum. It pretty much looks the same but now I'm really curious about other changes.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
That's why I asked where did you get it because I had a feeling if in store this was the case, I bet the salesman didn't even have a clue. Sound's like you didn't know about the changes either.

If they don't have an interest or use it personally they cannot keep up with all the gear changes. I'm not defending him in anyway, good on you for getting a deal.

Your on the Marshall forum all your answers are here for what changes were done to the new model. I don't own one but so far I haven't heard or talked to anybody that has anything but positive things to say

Last edited:

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
Just thought of something, at guitarcenter it's always open box so you definitely got hooked up. They only carry 1 of each amp these day's. The day's of a floor model and then going to get a brand new one in the back have been long gone. Haha I love it this sounds so GC to me.

LCW

Reaction score
Yeah, I called on 2/16 to see if they had a 40C. The guy said they just got one in and put it on the floor the day before, so I put some money down and had them hold it until the next day. He never said it was a new model - I don't even know if he knew. I didn't until asking about the pentode/triode switch on this forum. It pretty much looks the same but now I'm really curious about other changes.

Biggest change - dual master volumes (and assignable to each channel).

Are you saying that any floor model at GC is considered an "open box" and they will automatically discount???

HoboMan

Reaction score
...I've bought guitars on eBay before (got a perfect condition 2017 model PRS custom 24 with Floyd Rose for only $625 last October) ...

Was your PRS an SE model?
If it was a made in USA model contact me if you want to sell it and make some profit.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

I just looked at the new manual DSL40CR:
https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/dsl/dsl40
power adjust low / high is power supply , not pentode triode.
It's got 2 sets of windings, which change it from 20 to 40 watts.

This is not DSL40C.

Rick in HB

Reaction score
Was your PRS an SE model?
If it was a made in USA model contact me if you want to sell it and make some profit.
Yeah, SE. Korean made. Still a good deal but not like it would be if a Maryland guitar.

Rick in HB

Reaction score
Biggest change - dual master volumes (and assignable to each channel).

Are you saying that any floor model at GC is considered an "open box" and they will automatically discount???
The dual master is definitely cool but not sure yet how to make use of the channel assignment switch feature. Still experimenting.

As for the open box thing, I saw the statement with the $615 price listed in the add. When I mentioned it to the sales guy he never questioned it for a second. Maybe luckily naive on my part and inexperienced on his!?!

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the new manual DSL40CR:
https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/dsl/dsl40
power adjust low / high is power supply , not pentode triode.
It's got 2 sets of windings, which change it from 20 to 40 watts.

This is not DSL40C.

So for this wattage/power adjust, is it just simply switching between two sets of secondary HT windings? For just an example, the HIGH setting might use the windings producing 460V while the lower settings uses the windings producing 300VDC?

And then do that compensate on the bias and keep it idling at aprox 60% on both settings?

Latest posts