Trying to find that 800 sound

• Thread starter armandodiaz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jlinde1973

Reaction score
Origin doesnt have your classic v2 cathode follower setup. It's more on the lines of the 900dr. Using v2 for effects loop. The haze 40 is the exact circuit. Grab a schematic and look. I can play them side by side they have that same organic feel. Not sure why the haze gets bashed so much. It's an 800 with a clean channel, reverb, effects loop, foot switchable boost and 3 digital effects that are foot switchable and programmable. Only thing it needs is a treble booster hitting front end or Eq in loop to bring brighten it up. Great amp. They almost got it right just wished they wouldn't have put cheap transformers in it.

Last edited:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Origin doesnt have your classic v2 cathode follower setup. It's more on the lines of the 900dr. Using v2 for effects loop. The haze 40 is the exact circuit. Grab a schematic and look. I can play them side by side they have that same organic feel. Not sure why the haze gets bashed so much. It's an 800 with a clean channel, reverb, effects loop, foot switchable boost and 3 digital effects that are foot switchable and programmable. Only thing it needs is a treble booster hitting front end or Eq in loop to bring brighten it up. Great amp. They almost got it right just wished they wouldn't have put cheap transformers in it.
I find the same thing with my Haze 15. Pretty close. Jack it with a clean boost or treble booster to tighten it up, and add some brightness.

That bright crunch Is the 2204/2203 sound. Clean Boost the front end!

I find that almost every Marshall I own benefits greatly from a clean boost.

While different than the 40, I love my 15.

I think that some of them had reliability issues that turned people off on them.
My 2009 Haze 15 mini stack is still going strong.

Someone mentioned that a used JCM800 can be had for the same price as a sc20. Good luck with that if your in the U.S.

You may fall into the one in a million stupid deal but for the most part under 2k is rare anymore.

Last edited:

jlinde1973

Reaction score
The haze 40 left out the treble peakers. U can see the empty slots on the board. And they lowered the bright cap value. Those are 2 most widely used mods to tame the brightness on an 800. Plus they fattened up the cathode bypass cap and lowered cathode resistor. 2 more widely used 800 mods. Other than that exact circuit but with junk tranny's and lower plate voltage. Whoever the Haze designer was knew what he was doing. U can buy the amp for the price of a good stomp box. Grab them up guys before they're gone. In telling u

Last edited:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I don’t know man. Just seems too simple.

What about circuit mods?

How about buying an SC800? It’s a 800 for crying out loud.

Or building one?

Just putting an inexpensive SD1 in front of the Origin and getting 800? wishful thinking. I mean you can believe whatever your ears tell you, but don’t expect me to.

Ya gotta spend some money to get that sound. Pay those dues. Get a paper route. In time that 800 will find you.

However when I put my SD1 in front of my Ori50, I get all kinds of 800. Ask my 800. :agreed:
That’s what I’m talking about Solar , my Ori50h into 4x12 loaded with x2 v30s and x2 30w greenbacks with sd-1 in front and eq in the back spit roast style drives the Origin into a frenzy, if it was a woman it would be squirting everywhere 🤪🤣

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I’m talking about Solar , my Ori50h into 4x12 loaded with x2 v30s and x2 30w greenbacks with sd-1 in front and eq in the back spit roast style drives the Origin into a frenzy, if it was a woman it would be squirting everywhere 🤪🤣
Thats talking solars language.. :applause:

giblesp

Reaction score
So I play a lot of 80's music.... GNR, Ratt...
I haven't been able to find the tone, I'm looking for.
Right now I have an Origin 20 going through 4x12 1960, with 2 greenbacks and 2 VG30s. I've changed the tubes and I've done a lot of research on knob adjustments. All has helped a lot. It sounds great for classic rock, like Led Zep. The highs and mids sound ok but the lows sound flat.
I would really want a JCM800, but can't afford a used or reissue. So I'm trying to look at my alternatives....
1. Mod my Origin20, even though it's only 6 months old.
2. Get a JCM900, readily available and easier to mod, to get to that sound.
3. Trade my Origin for a mini JCM800. A little more on the expense side. But not sure how close I would come. I've read people stating it doesn't really sound like an 800.
So as an example of the tone I'm looking for, listen to GNR Rocket Queen.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks
What you are hearing on AFD are Marshalls (in Slash's case a modded Marshall) recorded in a specific way, in a specific studio and then Mastered in a specific studio. And that's omitting the all important playing technique, that went into creating that specific tone and feel.

So you are trying to dumplicate something that is very hard to duplicate.

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
There's an MKIII half stack near me for $1250.....

00Z0Z_2H9AQ0bFV7n_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/d/santa-rosa-marshall-half-stack-jcm-900/7716414344.html

anitoli

Reaction score

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
A must for those still not doing it , put an eq in the loop and sd-1 out front and that’s going to get your Origin into 800 territory no problem .
Just out of curiosity, what does that Eq look like? I have a DSL100H and I'm close but not there yet with a TS. I was going to start working with an Eq next to see if I can get closer.

LyseFar

Reaction score
I think you left out the Sc20 too.
No. I was trying to list the models from the original JCM800 series. The SC20 is a contemporary power scaled version designed 40 years later than the originals and with a modern construction (PCB mounted tubes etc. ). Even though it sounds 2203ish and bears the JCM800 name I think it would be wrong to list it amongst these.
But of course - could be the “800” sound the OP is looking for.

Last edited:

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
DSL has too many gain stages. Will never have an 800 sound. The midrange is just off. Missing frequencies and midrange punch that an Eq pedal won't bring back. I've been thru 3 different dsls and fought with all of them. Trying to unload one right now for next to nothing.
Which DSL model are you trying to sell?

Deftone

Reaction score
I think putting a "JCM800" Faceplate on the Origin may do the trick.

I mean, lets face it.....a lot of this elusive "JCM800" tone is hype, is it not? Even different JCM800's can sound different compared to one another, right? Different years? Different models, EL34's or 6550's....it all makes a difference to my ears.

I don't have an Origin, but I do have three JCM800's: two 2204's and a 2205. I was A/B'ing my JCM900 MKIII 2500 and my '90 2204 just yesterday and I'll be damned if they don't sound identical to me. Even through different speakers/cabs. I can even make my 2555 or my 3203 sound like my 2204's with the right pedals.

So as an example of the tone I'm looking for, listen to GNR Rocket Queen.
I listened to the OP's suggestion of tone he's looking for:

1st off didn't Slash use a 2555? Or am I hearing Izzy? What was he using? And no matter what you play through, you're always going sound like you anyway. Tone is in the fingers.

So based on the comments here from people that have an Origin, and based on my own experience with several different Marshalls, I would say the Origin and the right pedals and maybe speakers are going to get you the tone you seek. I'll add one pedal to the equation that may help as well: The BBE Stinger, aka Sonic Stomp, aka Sonic Maximizer. If anything ever gets too muddy or dark for your taste, this pedal is like taking a wet blanket off your amp.