TSL 602 or 122?

• Thread starter wallythacker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wallythacker

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a package deal with a nice guitar and I get to choose the amp, either a TSL 602 or 122. After just reading about the potential reliability issues with the 122 I'm tempted to grab the 602.

I'm not keen the 602 is 80 lbs. and only has a top handle. I'm tempted to go for the 122 just because of this alone. Not really, there's far more of course but moving the amp has to be considered. The 122 is only a couple of .lbs more but has the side handles.

I like the VPR idea on the 122. If a bit of cranking is needed for a good sound then 25w on the 122 might allow more cranking before the wife kicks me out than cranking the 602 looking for the same type tone.

I also am keen on having amps in the same family. I plan to service my amps if I get back to speed in that area. I was a qualified radio tech a long time ago. I'll have less to learn and remember if all my gear is in the TSL family. I already blew that buying a MA100c but it looks to exit the door in a package deal leaving me with my 100 & 60 TSL heads.

Well that's it then. Sometimes writing it out does the trick and did here. I'm opting for the 122 unless something bad shows up during the test drive.

JohnH

Reaction score
I think the 122 came with better speakers as well. Id go for that one, more versatile too as you search for the one setting of all those knobs that defines your tone. Complicated inside though, but I reckon you'll love it!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes agreed, it sounds way better than the 602, my other guitar player has the 602 while I often play the 122. Terrible speakers in the 602, more versatility in the 122 EQ wise etc. I have had no issues with mine. The side handles alone are worth it! The VPR is a couple of resistors apparently, it does NOT allow you to push the power section which you really don't want to do with a TSL anyways as most of the tone is in the preamp. Has an output mute for silent recording. Get the 122!

Latest posts