tsl dead

• Thread starter elroy443
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elroy443

Reaction score
i was playing at a festival last night,the sound guys took my tsl and plugged it in so when i got to the stage all i had to do was my pedals, the amp was on when i got there, plugged in the pedals and there was no sound from the amp, turns out the guy had plugged the 16ohm cab into the 4/8 ohm output on the amp. its completely dead now. im guessing this has happened to other people on here, any thoughts on repair cost? cheers in advance for any help

loveboat

Reaction score
Ouch that sucks.

I'm always nervous when sound guys tamper with my rig. I have a TSL too btw :)

I sorry I can't help you with a cost estimate. But I expect the sound company to foot the bill for you.

Best of luck getting it up and running again.

elroy443

Reaction score
cheers man, had to use the shitty mg marshall they had as a back up instead, it wasnt ideal. to be honest though this amp has been NOTHING but hassle for me since i got it. i really do think i got one of those useless tsl's. im not even a huge fan of the sound. new amp time i think but i will need to get this fixed in order to sell it on

StratoMarshall

Reaction score
TSL's can sound pretty good...but if it's not your cup of tea, do push the issue with the sound company that hooked it up to pay for a professional repair by a Marshall authorized repair center. If it has to be shipped, they should pay for that too.

elroy443

Reaction score
oh yeah,i dont think for a second that i should pay for this but i am kicking myself a bit for not checking they had done everything correctly, i thought as professional sound men they'd get this stuff right. it wasnt even as if the amp was jammed up against a wall so they couldnt see what they were doing. its fairly infuriating.

jross68052

Reaction score
You have most likely blown the fuses. There is an external fuse that you can check first. There are also very small fuses on the curcuit board that will blow to protect the amp from major damage. The good news is these are very cheap to replace. I got the exact fuses for my TSL at radio shack when I mae the same mistake with my TSL.

Ken

Reaction score
Yikes, a PACKER fan!! Oh well....

Okay, first off is everything dead? If so, your amp is likely fine and jross is right to look at the fuses. The mismatch hopefully tripped it when a power tube blew or went beyond spec, thus saving your OT. After replacing the fuse, get at least new power tubes even if they still work, or you'll probably blow the fuse again, although I know it will be tempting to fire it up for a second or two and see if everything lights up.

Ken

elroy443

Reaction score
cheers lads but the amp is already out of my hands, it really needs a thorough service regardless of what damage was done by a few clown soundmen, i'll let you know how i get on.

what tubes do you guys put in your tsl's?

JayCM800

Reaction score
Oh man, sorry to hear... but it's your fault for letting others mess around with your stuff! :)

Here's hoping your TSL comes back sounding awesome: :cheers:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I've got a set of JJ's El34's and use NOS tubes on front end - a Mullard, GE, Sylvania etc. Smooths it out quite a bit and nice gain characteristics! Cheers!

elroy443

Reaction score
Oh man, sorry to hear... but it's your fault for letting others mess around with your stuff! :)

Here's hoping your TSL comes back sounding awesome: :cheers:

its not my fault at all, my amp was taken and turned on without my consent, there was literally nothing i could do

cheers for the valve suggestions folks, gonna look into branching out