TSL footswitch Mod?

• Thread starter tim warner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tim warner

Reaction score
Ok, I just bumped from my 73 superlead to a TSL 122. The footswitch works fine and that isn't my question.Pulling double duty as the singer and guitarist in my band ,I find that it is one more tap dancing pain in the ass to go back and forth from my clean channel to the crunch channel the way they have a separate switch for each. Is there a way to mod this footswitch to combine the two into 1 switch so I can leave my foot planted on 1 switch like I could do when I was using a Jcm 900? Being in a cover band requires alot of tap dancing between phase shifters,tremolo, unibe,delay , not to mention the seperate switch for my motion sound cabinet ,but the biggest pain in the ass is trying to step on the right switch to change between clean and overdriven .Please help!

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this, but I've seen where they can replace the footswitch jack with an ethernet cat-5 port, so I'd assume if you did that you could customize the footswitch's functionality. Not sure though, I pretty much leave mine in crunch mode all the time it seems.

tim warner

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into that. I did find on my search two companies that make an aftermarket switch, voodooman makes a 4 button switch that deletes the crunch button and combines crunch and clean into 1 button . Switch Dr. makes a 2 button switch that does the same thing but you lose your reverb and effects loop control options.and both are way expensive . Now that I know it can be done I need to find a wiring diagram as to how they did it .I wouldn't mind having just 2 buttons in an MXR size box because I always leave the reverb on (just a touch) and never turn (off) the whole loop, just the effects in it. Anyone have a diagram?

Tbonerocks80s

Reaction score
I dug up an old crate footswitch with 2 buttons on it and added a 1/4" TRS jack on the back of my TSL. I can use one button to switch from clean to od and the other button switched from od1 and od2 just like the switch dr. There is a schematic on this forum somewhere. I can dig it up and take a few pics if your interested.

tim warner

Reaction score
Tbone That would be awesome, they want $89.00 for the 2 button at switchdoctor, but I like the small box that doesn't take up so much real estate on my board and I don't really need to control the effects loop and reverb with a switch because they pretty much are always on. If I want my delay on or off then I just use it's own switch yah know what I mean? Love the amp though!

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
yeah the TSL footswitch prices are insane, the stock one is $139 or some crazy number like that. That's crazy talk

keef1367

Reaction score
Ok, I just bumped from my 73 superlead to a TSL 122. The footswitch works fine and that isn't my question.Pulling double duty as the singer and guitarist in my band ,I find that it is one more tap dancing pain in the ass to go back and forth from my clean channel to the crunch channel the way they have a separate switch for each. Is there a way to mod this footswitch to combine the two into 1 switch so I can leave my foot planted on 1 switch like I could do when I was using a Jcm 900? Being in a cover band requires alot of tap dancing between phase shifters,tremolo, unibe,delay , not to mention the seperate switch for my motion sound cabinet ,but the biggest pain in the ass is trying to step on the right switch to change between clean and overdriven .Please help!

Hey Tim check out this thread in the TSL tribe I use a foot switch just as you describe you need :applause: hope this helps I use the Boss GT 8 but it works just as well manually :)
Marshall Amp Forum - How do you use your TSL's?
Pin 1 open is clean, pin 1 earthed is crunch, pin 2 is lead on and off and pin 6 is earth so its that simple :) look at the schematic for the G systen also on that thread :)
BTW any old latching switches will do so good luck buddy

johnnygriswold

Reaction score
Be careful if you order from Voodooman Switches. I ordered a switch for my TSL and the wire that was supposed to come with it was not in the box. After a slow customer service response, and two weeks later, that wire STILL has not been delivered. I'll never order from them again.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, its been a while since i repaired my buddies tsl ft sw. river ratt provided me with the wiring schematic for the cable.

if i recall correctly, the switches are double pole, double throw, therefore, it seems logical to me that you could replace one of those switches, while disabling the other, (clean/crunch) with a triple pole double throw, and wire both functions into the one tpdt switch. you may sacrifice led operation on one or both channels...im not sure.

i will try to find the diagram RR posted up for me, that will help you ID function of each sw, and give you a clue how to rewire for this function. and of course, you will have to crack open the tsl ftsw and see exactly what is in there now....single pole or double...im pretty sure its double

i feel pretty confident this should be doable, and reasonbly easily, you will of course need to buy a tpdt switch, and wire up some flying leads to the appropriate channel on the CB...

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
follow this link, there is a wiring diagram courtesy of RR. and a schematic of the ftsw cct board from tall sg.

you'll need this to help iron things out if you want to try what ive suggested above.

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/26185-schematic-request-tsl-footswitch.html

edit, i just read thru that thread, it is indeed single pole switches for the channel selsction, and that make rewiring and finding a switch even easier.
and if done correctly, you should still have both led functions intact.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
aaaaahhh shit!

i was looking at the schematic, those are single pole, momentary switches, so my idea will not work like i thought it would, unless you can find an appropriate switch. even then...i dont know...sorry about that!