Tube Screamer

• Thread starter StootMonster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys talk about putting EQ's in loops but what kind of loop?
instrument or line level? make sure you know what kind it is and what
the EQ can handle. my loop is line level and my EQ ( GE-7) can't handle it.

i've never owned an amp w/ a loop myself but i tried a few w/ the ge-7 eq which i run the output cranked & mids humped & it always sounded like crap.

it sounded much better in front.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
a line level loop sounds much better in my opinion. i'll stick with my JCM
i don't really see a need to run an EQ in my loop. i'm happy with it's tone.

i watched some videos on tube screamers and wasn't impressed at all.

some questions i have for you StootMonster...

how old are your filter capacitors in the amp?
do you feel you need more drive out front or just tone?
you using single coils or humbuckers?
what kind of pre-amp tubes you running?

if you just need more drive maybe a MXR M133 would give you a clean push.
an unmodded GE-7 get's hissy if you start shaping the tone.

V-man

Reaction score
My advice: Find a Soundtank TS5. It is virtually identical to the TS9 circuit, and it costs $30-50 used (sometimes cheaper). Watch a shootout on Youtube if you don't believe me. If you want, I will let you borrow my Soundtank TS5 if you'll cover shipping, but shipping both ways will cover half if not more of the cost of buying your own TS5.

StootMonster

Reaction score
a line level loop sounds much better in my opinion. i'll stick with my JCM
i don't really see a need to run an EQ in my loop. i'm happy with it's tone.

i watched some videos on tube screamers and wasn't impressed at all.

some questions i have for you StootMonster...

how old are your filter capacitors in the amp?
do you feel you need more drive out front or just tone?
you using single coils or humbuckers?
what kind of pre-amp tubes you running?

if you just need more drive maybe a MXR M133 would give you a clean push.
an unmodded GE-7 get's hissy if you start shaping the tone.

Don't know about the caps, but I'm about to get them replaced thanks to ChuckHarmonJR. I don't use much drive, I like a lot of volume and not a lot of distortion, but just enough to break up and feel like rock n roll (think ACDC). Humbuckers - Burstbucker Pro's in my Les Paul and Classic Pluses in my Epiphone Sheraton II. Tubes are JJ's.

I'd keep the Mesa as a preamp and run it into the effect return of the DSL for when you want a different preamp flavor. With an a/b switch, you could even select between the DSL preamp and the Mesa. That would be cool. I've done that kind of thing in the past. It works well.

The Mesa pedal has a true bypass switch on it so I can use it to switch back and fourth between the amp and the pedal.

darrylportelli

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about getting a tube screamer and scrapping my Mesa Boogie V-Twin... does anyone have one they don't use that they would be willing to sell and ship to me... or let me try it out in good faith and see if I like it. If I don't, I'll just ship it right back to you...

Hi stoot,

I have a 10 band eq from mxr which I got from a good lad from the forum.
I believe there is one in the forum classifieds right now, believe me it is a great pedal... I have it set for a slight mid boost (frown) the trick is to not over do the mids, just like goldilocks story, too little mids is BAD, too many is also bad you need to set it to a slight mid boost and man, it kills when I engage it for solos. I also have an SD-1 up front which almost always stays on set to push the amp. the mxr goes in the loop for me

these eq's can be found preety cheap if you look around for a used one and they're built like tanks, I cant thank mxr enough for coming out with a great little gadget!!!

StootMonster

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments, guys. I'm going ship my DSL off to Chuck and try to find a good EQ (preferably the 10 band variety) and see what happens.

I'm not a tap dancer, so the more pedals I have that are in static position the better. I do well to sing and play in time - much less press the right pedals at the right time while singing and playing. :D

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Does that come in the form of a pedal, or is that a rack mounted deal?

Also, WL - why would I need one IN the loop and one IN FRONT of the amp? Or has my nite time meds made me so groggy this morning I can't understand simple english?
MXR M-108 brother:)

sounds like you could use that. Honestly i would run a boost out front (on/off) AND a ten band. they're both footswitchable (correction, M-108 in the loop sorry). then you can boost for tightness and compression (out front) when you want it to sting and use the 10 bander in the loop as an on off "fat" switch by boosting the low mids. that would work for dead sounding venues. a light flange is good too.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
right on with the AC/DC sound! :dude:
the cap job might wake up the thickness. i'd hold off on buyin gear till you've tried it with new caps.
are all your jacks/cables in good shape? i had to bend my speaker jack on
my amp because it sounded thin and low in volume. now it's back sounding ballsy.

StootMonster

Reaction score
right on with the AC/DC sound! :dude:
the cap job might wake up the thickness. i'd hold off on buyin gear till you've tried it with new caps.
are all your jacks/cables in good shape? i had to bend my speaker jack on
my amp because it sounded thin and low in volume. now it's back sounding ballsy.

Well, once I get the DSL worked on, my next step is to get a real cab with better speakers. I'm playing through an AVT cab. I think the speakers are stock avt types... I'm too tired to try and see what model they are right now.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
if i were to buy a 4x12 now it would be a 1960A with a couple of invaders (50W greenback clone)
and a couple of Veteran 30's (60W) in a X pattern from warehouse guitar speakers.
more affordable and smoother than celestion's. but then again i'm a 2x12 kinda guy :naughty:

not familiar with the AVT cab so i don't know how good/bad they are.
if the AVT has 75's, swapping speakers will do wonders for your tone.

colchar

Reaction score
I am waiting for a MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion pedal to come in to see if I like it. If I don't I am wondering if a Tube Screamer might suit my needs and work well with my Pro Jr. Hopefully I'll be able to find one really cheap somewhere because, as a grad student, there is no way I can afford a new one.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
Xotic EP booster, TS9DX and MXR 10-band cover any kind of lead boost I want. The MXR is a jewel to have on hand period; whether boosting and shaping lead tones; getting just the right rhythm tone; or compensating for a lack of dual EQs on a two-channel amp.

I ran the gauntlet on EQs years back after using a Boss from the 70s-80s, and the MXR was the most useful and musical. Rack units seemed to make my tones sound processed.

+1 on the WGS speakers. Green Berets. Great balanced vintage tone that will take some abuse... early breakup for guys that want a more natural tone without overdoing OD on the amp. Great for everything from Blues to Hard Rock. NOT for modern Metal tones, tho.

Last edited:

AdamR

Reaction score
I have a boss OD3 but I much prefer ther TS9 that I borrowed from my friend.

Latest posts