• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Tuner In Jvm410hjs Effects Loop

• Thread starter newfiesig
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newfiesig

Reaction score
So I currently have 1 pedal in my effects loop, a Turbo Tuner ST-300. The pedal works fine when I plug straight into it, but it doesn’t like being in the loop. I have to strum a string several times before it picks up.

Since it’s only wonky through the effects loop I figure it’s a better fit in the amp forum. Any suggestions?

BowerR64

Reaction score
I thought those were "true bypass" why wouldnt you run it in the front?

JohnH

Reaction score
if you are playing with any dirt or gain, then your signal has a bunch of tuner-confusing extra harmonics in it by the time it reaches the loop.

BowerR64

Reaction score
if you are playing with any dirt or gain, then your signal has a bunch of tuner-confusing extra harmonics in it by the time it reaches the loop.

Good point, i wonder if it would work better if it was on a clean channel when tuning?

What about the level of the loop? I had a jet city amp that had a line level loop and i couldnt use pedals with it only rack gear.

1337storm

Reaction score
Back when I played my HJS a lot I had a BOSS TU-2 as the first pedal in the loop and it worked fine,
but I had it setup with the loop the on only for cleans and solo and I always tuned on clean.

GT08

Reaction score
Just follow the manufactures instructions......simples.

newfiesig

Reaction score
I have followed the instructions from Marshall. I use it on the clean, green channel.

I have played with the FX loop level. Sometimes it’s seem to work fine, others it doesn’t...($).

I have my guitar plugged straight into to amp and don’t want anything else between.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
Instead of a pedal tuner, how about a Snark or similar headstock tuner?

newfiesig

Reaction score
Instead of a pedal tuner, how about a Snark or similar headstock tuner?

Sure I can do that, but I'm looking for a solution to use the pedal in the FX loop. It should be possible, according to the Marshall manual.

GT08

Reaction score
Just follow the manufactures instructions......simples.

I have followed the instructions from Marshall. I use it on the clean, green channel.

I have played with the FX loop level. Sometimes it’s seem to work fine, others it doesn’t...($).

I have my guitar plugged straight into to amp and don’t want anything else between.

I meant the TUNER/PEDAL manual not the Marshall amp manual lol.
The tuner is best placed in the front end straight after the guitar.
The tuner needs a good clean signal to work best. If it is not first in the signal chain then any pedals before it need to be in the off mode when tuning.

Last edited:

newfiesig

Reaction score
I meant the TUNER/PEDAL manual not the Marshall amp manual lol.
The tuner is best placed in the front end straight after the guitar.
The tuner needs a good clean signal to work best. If it is not first in the signal chain then any pedals before it need to be in the off mode when tuning.

Sure, I get that. But as a general rule (based on the Marshall manual) a turner should work in the FX loop. This is based on the technical understanding, by Marshall, that a tuner generally has to rx a clean signal in order to function properly. They also give instructions to use the pedal on the clean channel for that very reason.

Currently, it's the ONLY pedal that touches the amp in either the FX loop or the front end.