Tuning Issues

• Thread starter Codeman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Codeman

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clue of why my PRS was awesome at staying in tune for 6 months and all of a sudden it won't stay in tune to save it's life?

This weekend I tried new strings and it still won't stay in tune. I just don't get it.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ok, dumb question, but did you remember to stretch your strings?

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
As suggested, the stretch-tune can help it stay more solid if it wasn't done. Otherwise it'll take a while for them to finally settle in.
Is it being exposed to sudden temperature changes? For example: Are you sitting close to a fire place then taking it back to a colder corner of the room?

nikola

Reaction score
Perhaps, the string has come to the end of its useful life?

BowerR64

Reaction score
Post a picture of the guitar

Is it a floating tremolo? maybe its binding at the nut ive taken an old classic graphite pencil and scribble on paper to get a little pile of graphite powder and rub it on the strings around the nut area just to allow the string to glide over nut

Maybe something in one of the tuners is loose and turning in the headstock.

Codeman

Reaction score
I replaced the strings because I thought they were the problem and yes, I did stretch the strings quite a lot. I also put the new NYXL'S on to make sure I wasn't putting on a cheap set.

My PRS has a 1000 series Floyd

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Dumb question #2, get ready for it...

Would your truss rod happen to be all the way loose?
If not, something has changed, What do you think that might be?

BowerR64

Reaction score
I replaced the strings because I thought they were the problem and yes, I did stretch the strings quite a lot. I also put the new NYXL'S on to make sure I wasn't putting on a cheap set.

My PRS has a 1000 series Floyd

Well there ya go, you need to spend some time with the Floyd.

What i do when i install new strings on a floyd is.

I put all the strings on and tune em up close. Then i tighten the spring claw screws in a few full turns while wedging something under the bridge where the saddles are flat. This holds the bridge level where it needs to be when its tuned and setup.

attachment.php

I then tune it up and stretch em retune, stretch till it stops going out of tune when bending and stuff.

I then back the spring claw screws out till my bridge shim falls out and i then use the spring claw screws to tune all the strings. You can back the screws in or out on the spring claw till all the strings are as close to tune as you can get em.

Floyds can be tricky if you dont understand how they work. You have to match the springs tension. When you change strings the new strings may have a different tension so the floyd springs may need to be adjusted to match the new string tension.

At one point eddie used a quarter on his frankenstrat to wedge the trem when he changed strings or broke a string to quickly lock it so it was where he needed it to be during string changes and stuff.

Dont give up on the floyd once you learn how to set em up they are pretty stable and handy with the fine tuners.

Attachments

• floyd setup.JPG
    floyd setup.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 104

BowerR64

Reaction score
I just got a jackson with a floyd and it had .009s and i went to 10s so i had to raise the bridge a little (**WARNING** dont turn the pivot screws under tension)

I raised the pivot screws each a turn or so because the heavier .010s then i used an allen wrench and some folded paper till the bridge was level and tightened the springs set it up.

attachment.php

If the saddles arnt level with the body it will raise the action.

attachment.php

The saddles need to be level all the way across.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Floyd wedge.JPG
    Floyd wedge.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Floyd wedge 2.JPG
    Floyd wedge 2.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Floyd wedge 3.JPG
    Floyd wedge 3.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 104

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Dont forget with a Floyd you really gotta crank the clamps down real tight on both ends of the strings, put some muscle in it otherwise they wont stay in tune.

BowerR64

Reaction score
If you turn the posts that the bridge pivots on when it has strings on it you will ruin the trem also. The posts mar up the knife edge on the bridge and it creates burs which will cause binding issues and any bending of strings or movement of the bar will cause it to bind and hang up sharp or flat.

Codeman

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried everything suggested sans blocking the trem. If I can't get it to work today I'll have to put it in the shop because I'm running out of simple fixes.

Dispite the new strings obviously making the system unstable the guitar started to act up with the old set without any changes to the setup. I'm thinking those strings might not have been the problem.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Codeman, here you go bro:

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=222&zenid=s9r25sfvip4tqtlvi63s3em914

**Tremolo Stabilizer. The classic add-on unit which puts every Floyd Rose- or Fender-style tremolo into a fixed rest position.
A small spring loaded mechanism allows a free floating tremolo to return into a pre-definided position after usage. This also prevents the tremolo from buzzing after hitting the strings too hard. The Black Box is being installed in the tremolo routing between two tremolo springs.**

**Previously known as the "Goldo Back Box" this device lets you pull up AND dive bomb the tremolo arm and eventually return back to a neutral "in tune" position.**

Last edited:

Tone Slinger

Reaction score
Are you 'playing' any different codeman ? Sometimes, we subliminally TRY to knock a guitar out of tune by doing(playing) different than we normally do. Have you been using another guitar (one with a Floyd) in conjunction with your PRS ? It's real easy to apply the same 'playing style' from one guitar to another, but each guitar is like a woman.....what works with one doesn't work the same with another.

Codeman

Reaction score
Are you 'playing' any different codeman ? Sometimes, we subliminally TRY to knock a guitar out of tune by doing(playing) different than we normally do. Have you been using another guitar (one with a Floyd) in conjunction with your PRS ? It's real easy to apply the same 'playing style' from one guitar to another, but each guitar is like a woman.....what works with one doesn't work the same with another.

No, my fingers haven't been on any other woman. If anything, my Strat would feel neglected.

To give some more information, I found out that doing a dive-bomb made less of a difference then doing a bend on the G string. I stretched all the strings repetitiously before playing and retuned.

It is very confusing, but I think I might be figuring it out.:hmm:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
new strings the exact same gauge? (maybe the G is not getting tightened down)

the locking nut is worn?

Codeman

Reaction score
The first ones were 9-42 strings and the new ones are 9-46. I added a little tension on the springs to compensate.

Latest posts