• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Turning my amp on? Is it being damaged?

• Thread starter mercilessdeath86
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
Alright so I flick on the power switch (red) so it is facing upwards. Wait about 5-10 minutes and flick the standby switch (black) off so it is facing upwards as well. Despite how long I wait for the amp to warm up, it makes a crackling fuzzy popping noise for a few seconds. What am I doing wrong??!!?

Eag

Reaction score
Stop turning it on!!!!:wow:

Actually you're not doing anything wrong. It sounds like you might have a tube trying to die on you. When power tubes have gone out in my amps they sometimes begin by popping and hissing like bacon which gets worse until I change them.

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
Yeah! I am broke as a joke right now so I don't think I will be able to afford new tubes for awhile yet. I dunno, it still sounds great to me though soIm concerned it's not tube-related:hmm:

joshuaaewallen

Reaction score
:confused: I too have experienced a bit op popping and hissing when initially coming off standby and starting to play. It does stop pretty quickly. Perhaps it is time for new tubes.

Here's a question... I have begun running a "split power section" in my TSL122 utilizing two THD Yellow Jacket adapters in conjunction with the remaining two EL34 power tubes. The EL34's in the Yellow Jackets are new literally only a few weeks old, so I'm not too worried about them, however the EL34's have been in there God knows how long (I did notice when I removed them for inspection that they do rattle ever so slightly). Do I need to re-bias in this split power section scenario? :confused:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Do I need to re-bias in this split power section scenario?

You would have to replace all four power tubes, do the bias setting, pull out the middle two and replace your YJ's.

I don't see you being able to do it with the YJ's and the 84's and a pair of 34's.

Marty

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
If anybody cares... It does'nt make a noise if I switch it on while I'm on my clean channel. I switch it on while the clean channel is selected and the select the lead channel and theres no yucky noises.

Adwex

Reaction score
I would suspect the preamp tubes, try replacing V1, see if the problem goes away.