• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Two 110s or One 112?

• Thread starter Iron1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Iron1

Reaction score
I have a DSL1HR sitting on my MG Stack, with Celestion 10 30s in the MG cabs. Got a Jet City JCA22H and now I have to move amps, shuffles cables etc, if I want to play either or. So, I'm either going to get a 112 cab for the Jet City, or a cab switcher so I don't have to jump through the hoops (first world problems, I know) of moving the amps away from the wall, un/re plugging cables etc.

My space is tight, otherwise I wouldn't care (by tight I mean half of a 10'x11' room that also has my home office in it with all that goes with a home office for someone to truly work at home). But...

So, I'm looking at one of the Marshall 112s, which allegedly have Celestion 70 80s in it, which seem to get radically polarizing reviews. The 10 30s don't get a ton of raves either, but I can get the tones that make me grin with 'em just fine.

Monetarily, it's like a $150 difference, which isn't huge in the music equipment grand scheme, but it's still $150...

What would you do?

Geeze

Reaction score
I prefer 12s to 10s. Also recommend patience on your search for a 1x12 plus a speaker you will like if you go this way. The cab switcher is another option. I have a number of amps and cabs and manually switch them - less of a pain than buying a switcher.

Russ

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of either option. I'd want two speakers for a better spread but I'd want them to be 12s. If I went with 10s they'd have to be something along the lines of Celestion G10 Golds. Tough decision . . .

Iron1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The guy I got the JCA off of told me he has a Fryette R112 he'll hook me up with, so 112 it is.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I prefer 12s to 10s with a 1 watt. After that with a more powerful amp a 12 is still preferred but 10s have their uses.

I'd go with a single 12 in your case.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
I would go with 12s all day long.

you can go a simple A/B switch with no passive load whatsoever, just be sure to switch amps while they are turned off

wakjob

Reaction score
Love me some 10's...
two of them is even better. (Vibrolux Reverb)

Mystic38

Reaction score
i know you are already decided, but two speakers is always better than one imo so i would go with the 210 setup vs the 112 in a similar situation.

ampeq

Reaction score
I have a DSL1HR sitting on my MG Stack, with Celestion 10 30s in the MG cabs. Got a Jet City JCA22H and now I have to move amps, shuffles cables etc, if I want to play either or. So, I'm either going to get a 112 cab for the Jet City, or a cab switcher so I don't have to jump through the hoops (first world problems, I know) of moving the amps away from the wall, un/re plugging cables etc.

My space is tight, otherwise I wouldn't care (by tight I mean half of a 10'x11' room that also has my home office in it with all that goes with a home office for someone to truly work at home). But...

So, I'm looking at one of the Marshall 112s, which allegedly have Celestion 70 80s in it, which seem to get radically polarizing reviews. The 10 30s don't get a ton of raves either, but I can get the tones that make me grin with 'em just fine.

Monetarily, it's like a $150 difference, which isn't huge in the music equipment grand scheme, but it's still $150...

What would you do?
You can get a cab from Eminence that has the same dimensions for either 1-12" or 2-10" https://www.eminence.com/speakers/ext-cab-detail/?model=XTC112_BT https://www.eminence.com/speakers/ext-cab-detail/?model=XTC210_BT I have the 1-12" and the 2-12" they make and like them very much. It's a tough call and I would love to try the 2-10" out, but I do really like the 1-12" cab with a G12H-75 CB in it. The right speaker's make the sound work.

Iron1

Reaction score
i know you are already decided, but two speakers is always better than one imo so i would go with the 210 setup vs the 112 in a similar situation.

Yeah, I got the R112 about 2 weeks ago and love it. It fills a different need than the 2 10” Marshall cabs I have, which gives great variety. The R112 is perfect for my home office/studio set up, too.

You can get a cab from Eminence that has the same dimensions for either 1-12" or 2-10" https://www.eminence.com/speakers/ext-cab-detail/?model=XTC112_BT https://www.eminence.com/speakers/ext-cab-detail/?model=XTC210_BT I have the 1-12" and the 2-12" they make and like them very much. It's a tough call and I would love to try the 2-10" out, but I do really like the 1-12" cab with a G12H-75 CB in it. The right speaker's make the sound work.

I’ll have to keep that in mind for the future in case I end up in a larger space. Thx!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of open back cab's, but, depending on your small space, you can tune it, by moving it inches closer/further to/from the wall behind it. This will give you more/less bass.

Just something to consider, depending on if you're not happy w/ the low end. If it sounds too thin & you're turning up the bass a lot, try tuning the cab to the wall/room. Then add/remove bass on the controls. Same if it sounds too boomy. In that case, you can also try putting a dampening material behind the cab, to lessen the rear waves. You probably won't want to kill all of them, so, that too, is a tuning process, to dial it in how you want...

Iron1

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of open back cab's, but, depending on your small space, you can tune it, by moving it inches closer/further to/from the wall behind it. This will give you more/less bass.

Just something to consider, depending on if you're not happy w/ the low end. If it sounds too thin & you're turning up the bass a lot, try tuning the cab to the wall/room. Then add/remove bass on the controls. Same if it sounds too boomy. In that case, you can also try putting a dampening material behind the cab, to lessen the rear waves. You probably won't want to kill all of them, so, that too, is a tuning process, to dial it in how you want...

Great idea, thanks! I’ll have to mess with that some and see. Right now it’s basically set as close to the wall as the straight plug speaker cable will allow.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The 10 30s are decent but honestly, the G10 Greenbacks are where it's at. Try one, you'll put two in your two 1x10 cabinets.
I was thinking of routing out the baffle on a 1x10 cabinet and putting a G12M25 Greenback into it, but I tried a G10 Greenback in it first,
and liked it so much that I abandoned any plans to mod the cabinet for the 12 inch Greenback. It's really THAT good. And it's that rare thing,
a 10 inch speaker that really sounds like it should be a 12 inch speaker. It has the full bottom end of a 12. Celestion really nailed it.

The G10 Creamback should be comparably good.

As for the 70/80, which is the same as the G12P80, I have some G12P80s and I find them to be good speakers to stick in any Fender combot amp that's in need of a speaker or two, I don't have any reason to recommend them for anything other than totally clean playing. They just don't have that sound. I do not recommend the G12P80 or 70/80 for a Marshall or any high gain amp.

Latest posts