USA vs. UK JCM800 2203 Parts

• Thread starter Skeletor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Hey everybody, first time poster here.
I'm building a JCM800 2203 from scratch for my senior project in college. Running into a few snags in my preliminary stages.

Couple of things:
A) On the original JCM800 2203 schematic there's a few areas where there is a value of a resistor that has a different value in parentheses for USA instead of UK. For example, in the beginning of the Power Amp section the value of a few resistors are 220k but "(150k for USA)." Just wondering - how important is this?
I'm in the US.

B) If anyone has a complete parts list I can take a look at or a link to one to double check against and make sure I didn't forget anything small I would greatly greatly appreciate that. I have yet to find a complete parts list from sites that sell kits and such.

C) If anyone has any advice or comments or other additional resources please let me know! I'm really excited about taking this on. I'm not new to building amps but I'm new to doing it from scratch and reading schematics. And one of this size/wattage.

Thanks!

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
The difference of the resistor values between the US and UK was due to the type power tubes used not the quality of the parts. If you are going with EL34 power tubes, ignore the USA values.

What schematic are you using?

Last edited:

Skeletor

Reaction score
The difference of the resistor values between the US and UK was due to the type power tubes used not the quality of the parts. If you are going with EL34 power tubes, ignore the USA values.

What schematic are you using?
Awesome thank you that helps a lot. I am going to be using EL34s.

The main schematic I'm using is from the Marshall JCM800 Service Manual but I've also been comparing and contrasting with the Mojotone 2204 and 100W Super Lead Kits.
Do you have any other resources you would recommend?
Thanks!

playloud

Reaction score
The US amps used 6550s, to be more precise.

Valvestorm is a pretty good source for lists, although I think making your own from a schematic is a good exercise. There are several programs (e.g. DIYLC) which will make them automatically when you create a schematic/layout (also a good exercise).

Sounds like a fun college project!

Edit: since you're doing this for educational purposes (presumably some sort of EE course?) I would highly suggest taking a look at Rob Robinette's page on the 2203: https://robrobinette.com/How_the_Marshall_JCM800_Works.htm The cold clipper is key to these circuits.