• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Using white lead for white nitrocellulose paint.

• Thread starter ELS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ELS

Reaction score
No I'm not trying to make the most toxic guitar imaginable :D
it's just that I could make white lead easily myself and it has a nice white color imo.
But what about adding it to nitrocellulose, would it cause problems? What did 1950s paint suppliers use for white pigment/dye? was it titanium dioxide, white lead, or some other material?
Would it also increase the amount of cracking with age? not sure since that cracking is usually seen in oil based lead dyed paints, so maybe it's different with NC.

ELS

Reaction score
I’m more of an “asbestos ‘n radium” fella, but let’s see what everyone else thinks. :thumb:
that's great, but if you want the best sounding finish you have to put some uranium 238 together with phospor (the more toxic the better), mix it with TriNitroToulene lacquer with added Nitroglycerin, and infused with mercury vapors.
For that warm (literally) glow-in-the-dark tone :D

maybe add some beryllium so when you end the solo the guitar blows up, for the show.
ahh.. I always wanted a mushroom cloud emanating from my guitar.

ELS

Reaction score
Well it seems that there isn't too many options for white dye anyway, it's pretty much just lead carbonate, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, barium sulfate, antimony trioxide, and zinc sulfide although I'd hardly call that a 'white' dye.
I was also thinking, dyes such as zinc oxide would provide some EMI shielding right? it'd act as a crappy shielding plate on top that isn't grounded. or perhaps is if you put enough dye in it and it conducts fully trough the paint.
I think titanium dioxide would conduct too, not sure about lead carbonate.

and zinc oxide aparently softens skin, and I can't have that. need rock hard calluses for the highest of bends :D

btw don't be fooled by the previous posts, I am serious about this. I wont lick the paint... a lot

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
Personally I love just plaster of paris (or any calcium carbonate), mix it with linseed oil (ketchup consistency) and you will have that kind of white that will turn into golden with aging.

Reactions: ELS

ELS

Reaction score
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/aut...istory-the-long-road-to-the-white-car-part-2/

it was the early 1920’s, when DuPont had begun to develop titanium dioxide.
DuPont’s work was necessary because there was no suitable pigment for sprayed-on white automotive paint.
All of the other white pigments (lead, lithopone and zinc, being the main ones) brought traits that made them poor choices for automotive finishes on mass production vehicles.

Found this article, apparently lead white isn't suitable for spraying, well that answers that.
oh well... guess I wont get to have my lead guitar :(

Maybe I use antimony trioxide instead, that's quite toxic :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts