• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

V30 and G12T-75 Speaker Mix

• Thread starter paul-e-mann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rockerduck

Reaction score
The Eminence Texas Heat and the Celestion GT75 have the same spl and match each other perfectly. The Eminence Swamp Thang and the Vintage 30 have the same spl and match each other.

dslman

Reaction score
Just loaded a 4x12 w/ RETRO 30'S from WGS speakers, They are 75 watt V30 style speakers with a little more hair and a extremely sweet top end. Running with another cab loaded w/ G12T-75 Celestions sounds real nice. The Celestions do have a ice picky top-end but, add a substantial amount of heavy chunk which compliments nicely. Didn't care for the G12T-75 mixed w/ Greenbacks. They seemed to fight each other. Can't say enough about the sweet top-end on the Retro 30's.

Dimitar

Reaction score
I have G12T-75 and it just has too much treble. For cleans it's awesome, but for higher gain it's just too trebly. I wouldn't pair it with a V30. Try it, if you like it, keep it, if not - take them away! :) It's your own taste ;)

Dimitar

Reaction score
My JCM800 has the treble knob at 0. It just doesn't sound like it should for me. Maybe I need some muddy amp :)

keef1367

Reaction score
My JCM800 has the treble knob at 0. It just doesn't sound like it should for me. Maybe I need some muddy amp :)

There is of course the phenomenon known as beaming, that is not the speakers fault, it has more to do with how the frequencies themselves behave when travelling through the air, also where you are standing is a huge factor. In the room in general you may well have a great sound which cuts through the mix but in front of your amp it will be ice pick harsh.
I was a bass player for a long time and the rhythm player had his amp next to my stack, he bought a 5150 and got into thrash, naturally he started to dial in a sound that he liked, that sh**ty scooped sound but he also boosted the bass, that had 1 huge effect on both our sounds.....Turned it to mush as his new sound mixed with mine = total interference and phase issues, he would not accept that it was him. I however have some understanding of sound/ standing waves/ frequency response/ resonant frequencies etc as I studied Physics and being into sound and recording I paid particular attention to these classes.
The trick to having a great tone on stage is to find one that is clear and articulate in the room and cuts through the rest of the band, I have heard a great tone in some guys house that is lost in a band situation so many times and people blaming everything around them, apart from the one thing which is actually at fault, The GT12-75 gets bashed a whole lot but Celestion actually knew what they were doing when they designed it, A general purpose speaker for modern music with high SPL and a great tone, if you want a vintage tone then go for a vintage voiced speaker :)
I think the 75/ V30 combo rocks but that's just my opinion :)

Dimitar

Reaction score
@keef1367

I just think that my amp is too trebly for that speaker. I tried G12T-75 with a vintage voiced hand-made amp by my friend and I liked it a lot. So the amp is also a very important part of the sound the speakers produce.

keef1367

Reaction score
For sure but have you tried it loud with a bass player and drummer and stood in the hall (but not directly in line with the amp) that's just a suggestion.
Also room dynamics really change as it's filled with people as a lot of the treble and upper mids are absorbed into said crowd, I'm just saying buddy as I have had some great mixes/ guitar tones before a gig only to find on the night a lot of tweaking has had to be done when the room was full because of these factors :)

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
See, this is what I don't get. Why do people say stuff is too trebly....when the amp has a treble knob? I don't get it. My thinking is...turn the treble down a bit.

Because with certain setups you can turn the treble down so much that the low notes sound dull/dark but the high notes are still ice-picky.. You have obviously never experienced this..

Usually this becomes a factor at band volume, not bedroom volume.

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Another thing to try with your 4x12 of 'ice pick' 75's is to only use TWO of them. Set the cab to stereo and use you 8 ohm head tap and just see...something about pushing the 75s a little harder has a different sound (to my ears).

My 75s are from '98 and seen a lot of use. I'd def. say they're broken in. Are they bright? Yes. Can you EQ it? Kinda. One thing I like to do is put the mids back in using pedals/boosts/guitar knob. I keep the mids higher than any other control on my head due to the 75s.

I've never used tru v30s on a Marshall...just the Peavey-branded version. I've used v30s in Mesa amps.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Cab I built with my bro, with a celestion 75 and WGS V30.
The cab has the Orange PPC 212 dimansions. Love it!
(notice the ghetto mic stands)

gOrangeatras.jpg

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Looks like a nice sturdy cab, Smokey. Put a light stain, clear coat, paint the baffle black and add a grille cloth and it will look pretty nice.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
Shit, while you're at it, get some Orange tolex and put it on there. Then get some black corner protectors, a tan basketweave grillecloth...then get someone to make a custom face badge with your name on it (like the Marshall script logo). It'll look almost exactly like an Orange PPC cab and will match up with your head. And you'd be surprised how many people will come up and say "WOW" at gigs.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
I was thinking of putting a metal grillecloth. My parents had a (I don't know how to call it) spark shield (??) for the fireplace.
This "spark shield" will not be used anymore, so I was thinking of cutting a piece for the grillcloth in the front.
I'm not sure about tolex. It would looked neater, but it's a pain in the ass.
I don't really plan to move it around anyway, so I'm not too worried about it getting banged up. I was thinking of putting a protective coat of laquer, or just paint it. It won't look as "pro", but I don't mind.
And the Orange head, I was actually thinking of making my own faceplate, and maybe doing something with the tolex. I like Orange's aesthetics, but it ain't an Orange.

BAinFL

Reaction score
well the deal is 75's can be spikey new. once they're broken in they're not toppy at all and are quite smooth. they do sound great together but because 75's are high power handling and use a TON of dope it can take years to break them in and get rid of the harsh top and stiffness that so many people "know" them for so if you want to try them i suggest getting some well worn speakers from the late 90's or early 2000's.

mine sound great but i've had new ones and spent 2 years trying to soften them to no avail so i sold them and bought some old ones lol.

This

I just bought a several year old 1960A cab yesterday with (4) G12T-75 in them and was BLOWN AWAY at how nice they sounded...really warm and full. I too had these in low regard until I heard this quad. I guess they really do take a long time to break in, because the ones I've heard new in stores sound like junk.

Were the G12T-75's speakers made in UK (pre 2007) and China from 2007-present? Maybe that's part of the equation???

The ones I have have a "LN" date code (Nov. 2003) so I'm guessing UK made and 9 years of break in is part of the excellent sound of these. In any case I'm EXTREMELY happy with the sound of these...a real unexpected bonus as I bought the cab mainly for the wood and otherwise clean cosmetics.

BAinFL

Reaction score

I thought this too when I got my first MV (a JMP 2203). Then I realized the spikey treble is from running at too low a volume with the pre amp gain cranked. This goes away dramatically as you play the amp louder. If you want to tame the treble at low volume / high gain, cut way back on the presence (mine's at 3) and treble 3-5. Or if you can attenuate at all, just crank the master vol up some and problem fixed (I usually turn the presence back up around 6 or 7 here and Treble to about 5-6.

You can also try a Telefunken in V1 which I loved to fatten up and make a trebly sound growl more.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I love the G12T-75's. I prefer them over V30s.

OP, you're just gonna have to try it and see if you like it. Opinions on the net are just that...opinions.
back on this one as i saw it again: I agree. they have a fullness and clarity across the board with good thump. imo they're a great middle ground for lead and rhythm work. I use them with V30's (two cabs mic'd seperate) to get my tones and my metal tones are mostly V30 while my crunch, nerd rock and cleans are indelibly 75's. they just get that bit of chime when using certain amps thatothers don't like My Framus'....those amps work well with both but for the cleans i can't do V30's...i need that chime and note seperation.

Latest posts