V30 and Greenback mix

• Thread starter Alestir
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alestir

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been running a DSL40CR into a Orange 2x12 cabinet with 2 V30's. I've never played through V30's and am definitely hearing what many describe as a mid spike. and they sound a little grindy to me.

I prefer Greenbacks, so what would be the possible verdict of running one Greenback and one V30 in the Orange 2x12? I see Greenbacks are 98dB and the V30 is 100dB. There shouldn't be any problems with the V30 drowning out the Greenback, correct?

Any other issues I may run into or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Gutch220

Reaction score
V30's are definitely very 'noticeable'. But when combined you might get something else even better. Kinda like 1+1=3
gotta break them in though

JBA

Reaction score
It’s not so bad of a mix on a vert with the greenback on top. As you back away from the cab the mix definitely changes from the greenback towards the v30. Of course all the usual comb filtering also occurs. Would never do this mix on a horizontal cab.

Looks like your looking at the Chinese 25w, so I’m commenting for this model specifically.

Alestir

Reaction score
Exactly. I have a 2×V30 and a 4×GB. When I run them at the same time all I hear is the 2×.

That seems to be the consensus which I was thinking might be an issue anyway.

Is there anything to couple with a V30 in a 2x12 diagonal cab that will chill that thing out? As mentioned I've liked the Greenback in the past for what i play.

The V30 may be fine through quite a few amps, but through a DSL its very bright. I have the DSL's treble turned all the way down, which I hate to do. Its just not what I am looking for.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
H30...

which, there is a greenback version, but then there's also one (70th ann), that sounds closer to an old 65 watter...

I tend to like the 55hz version:
660259000000613-00-500x500.jpg

there's another, identical, except 75hz:
G12H-HER_75_8_1.jpg

70th ann:
cokcsnpdfzsk3ezo88ph.jpg

The top 2 will be like adding a greenback, but w/ equal efficiency. The bottom, won't sound like a greenback, but, will smooth out the V30 a bit...

JBA

Reaction score
That seems to be the consensus which I was thinking might be an issue anyway.

Is there anything to couple with a V30 in a 2x12 diagonal cab that will chill that thing out? As mentioned I've liked the Greenback in the past for what i play.

The V30 may be fine through quite a few amps, but through a DSL its very bright. I have the DSL's treble turned all the way down, which I hate to do. Its just not what I am looking for.
The greenback / v30 cab is convenient for recording. I’ve never found a combination of any speakers that were better than a pair of the same. Where you stand, which one is on the top or which side all become shitty at some point when you move around or for you vs someone else at a different angle. 2x12’s and 4x12’s already have enough phase (polar response issues). Two different speakers just causes more of a mess. I really don’t understand why folks try this for anything other than recording.:facepalm:

Alestir

Reaction score
The greenback / v30 cab is convenient for recording. I’ve never found a combination of any speakers that were better than a pair of the same. Where you stand, which one is on the top or which side all become shitty at some point when you move around or for you vs someone else at a different angle. 2x12’s and 4x12’s already have enough phase (polar response issues). Two different speakers just causes more of a mess. I really don’t understand why folks try this for anything other than recording.:facepalm:

Ok, I get that! I talked to the owner of Scumback as well. He had a couple good ideas! One was replacing the V30's with 2 BM75's. He came to that conclusion because I mentioned early EVH tone and Ritchie Blackmore.

That is more and more sounding like the best idea. I really appreciate all the input! Its so hard to do this crap when you have to order and HOPE it works out.

Reactions: JBA

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
The solution is to try it and see how you like it. If you don't, you can always change back.

I paired a V30 with a GT12-75 in a 212 cab and the V30 totally dominated. Took it right out. DSL20HR.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
V30’s are louder than Greenbacks or G12-t75’s. It’s probably better if you mix speakers with the same sensitivity. I recently swapped out a V30 for a Celestion gold in my 2x12. Seems to be a good mix and they have the same rating. You might be better off mixing Greenbacks and G12-t75’s as they have the same sensitivity, both are quieter than a V30.

tonycaster

Reaction score
I use a V30/creamback G12M65 combo, to me it's a great match for my '78 2203. In a live context, you can choose whichever speaker you mic, based on your needs: V30 a little more bite, Creamback warmer

spacerocker

Reaction score
The solution is to try it and see how you like it. If you don't, you can always change back.

I paired a V30 with a GT12-75 in a 212 cab and the V30 totally dominated. Took it right out. DSL20HR.

Yes - THIS!

I get so fed up with reading "oh V30s and G12T75s in an "X" pattern is the ultimate speaker combination" - I tried it and thought so too - until I realised all I was really hearing was the V30s! It might work in Youtube clips where the speakers are mic'ed separately and mixed together at equal volumes - but in the real world, the V30s take over. I realised this when I played through all-V30 cabs for the first time!

As for smoothing out the V30s - how old are the speakers? I know from experience new V30s are a bit harsh and "raspy" - but they do smooth out considerably after they have been played for a few 100 hours.......

Last edited:

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Yes - THIS!

I get so fed up with reading "oh V30s and G12T75s in an "X" pattern is the ultimate speaker combination" - I tried it and thought so too - until I realised all I was really hearing was the V30s! It might work in Youtube clips where the speakers are mic'ed separately and mixed together at equal volumes - but in the real world, the V30s take over. I realised this when I played through all-V30 cabs!

As for smoothing out the V30s - how old are the speakers? I know from experience new V30s are a bit harsh and "raspy" - but they do smooth out considerably after they have been played for a few 100 hours.......

Yeah mine was brand new. I only played it for about 4-5 hours, so maybe I didn't give it a chance to break in.

spacerocker

Reaction score
Yeah mine was brand new. I only played it for about 4-5 hours, so maybe I didn't give it a chance to break in.

Ah! Give them a few gigs or loud band practices (if you are gigging?) V30s sound terribly "raspy" at first (the sort of way Orange Amps sound as standard :lol::lol::lol:) - but they smooth out a lot with use!

Alestir

Reaction score
Ah! Give them a few gigs or loud band practices (if you are gigging?) V30s sound terribly "raspy" at first (the sort of way Orange Amps sound as standard :lol::lol::lol:) - but they smooth out a lot with use!

Yeah, these V30's are brand new. I probably have about 50 hours on them and will let someone else finish breaking them in :)

As suggested I'll be using 2 of the same speaker in this cab, so actually was thinking about 2 of the G12H Heritage. That's 40 watts of amp going into 60 watts of cab, though. Is that asking a little much of those speakers if goosing it up a bit on stage?

I did notice WGS has their Green Beret at 25 watts, but also a bigger brother named the Invader at 50 watts.

Anyone with experience playing those speakers?

Thanks

spacerocker

Reaction score
As suggested I'll be using 2 of the same speaker in this cab, so actually was thinking about 2 of the G12H Heritage. That's 40 watts of amp going into 60 watts of cab, though. Is that asking a little much of those speakers if goosing it up a bit on stage?

I would think (unless you run your amp absolutely flat-out all of the time) - that they would be fine.......