V30s vs. GT75s

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Okay Guys..

All of the Marshall cabs I have ever owned had either 75/or 80w Celestion speakers. Recently though I have got a line on an affordable 1960AV cab with the V30s...

How would you compare the tonal quality of the two different speakers?

Opinions needed!

butterguitar

Reaction score
I prefer the Vintage 30's myself personally. When I first purchased my Vintage 30's they took a little bit of time to break in, but the sound they have now was well worth the wait. This speaker will cut through the mix in any situation. I tried the X pattern of the vintage 30's and the 75's. I wasn't feeling the mix to be honest. The g12t-75 speakers are too bitty in my opinion.

Gain Man

Reaction score
I have a 1960A cab loaded with G12T-75's and I am fairly okay with that. A couple of years ago I played a gig using my 2205 head through with an Engl cab (V30's I suppose) and that was one of the best live tones I ever had. Sweet and pronounced mids and a chunky, heavy and cutting sound. So if you have a choice, go with the V30's. There is some reason, why they are the standard speaker for so many cab manufacturers.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Depending on the amp/guitar you're using and style of music, the V30 could be a better choice. They have more upper mids. The G12T-75 is a mid scooped speaker.

The V30 sounds good with a DSL or Jubilee. For other amps, I like to combine them with the G12T-75.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just imagine much more mid range. It could be viewed by some as to appear harsh sometimes. I kind of envision the 75's to be smoother and the 30's to be brighter. Switching speakers could make you turn a few knobs different ways because they will affect your tone greatly. There are some speaker comparison videos you can try to search for. Mixing the 30's with 75's is a pretty sweet combo.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I have a 1960BV cab and I also play thru a JCM 900 (2500). The cab sounds great with this amp (the only amp I've played thru it). To me it sounds sweet and warm, lots of mids, which I like. I also had a 1960A cab with 75's. That cab sounded great too, but it was bright on its own. Together as a full stack, the V30's and the 75's made a great combo. So full! I had to sell a cab, so I opted to get rid of the 75's and keep the v30's. It was a tough choice picking which one to stay with. I must have A/B them 30 times before I could make a decision! So IMO, if you have only one cab, get the V30. But if you can swing two cabs, go with a V30 and the 75.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Just imagine much more mid range. It could be viewed by some as to appear harsh sometimes. I kind of envision the 75's to be smoother and the 30's to be brighter. Switching speakers could make you turn a few knobs different ways because they will affect your tone greatly. There are some speaker comparison videos you can try to search for. Mixing the 30's with 75's is a pretty sweet combo.

The V30's mid emphasis is in the high mids. Compare that to a G12-65, which tends to emphasize the lower mids. A Greenback would tend to be more balanced in its mids compared to a G12-65 or V30.

This high mids emphasis doesn't work well with all amps IMO.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Well most guitarist's perfer V30's over GT-75's. I prefer the V30's too, nice seaker w/ a little bit more mids than the GT-75's. But I also think the V30's aren't as nice sounding as greenback's I think Greenback's sound more natural and more open than V30s if you can get your hands on a 4X12 Greenback cab (pretty expencive) go for it, I have a nice demo for you to hear the differance between different speakers (GT-75's, Greenbacks, Peavy JSX speakers, and V30's)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXp7wq9Euik]YouTube - Marshall Vintage Modern Demo - Cabinet edition[/ame]

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
Well most guitarist's perfer V30's over GT-75's. I prefer the V30's too, nice seaker w/ a little bit more mids than the GT-75's. But I also think the V30's aren't as nice sounding as greenback's I think Greenback's sound more natural and more open than V30s if you can get your hands on a 4X12 Greenback cab (pretty expencive) go for it, I have a nice demo for you to hear the differance between different speakers (GT-75's, Greenbacks, Peavy JSX speakers, and V30's)

YouTube - Marshall Vintage Modern Demo - Cabinet edition

Based on that demo, Greenbacks all the way!

triplet

Reaction score
You know, before I started trying other speakers, I think I really underestimated my GT 75s. I still prefer my Vintage 30, but the 75s have a very "Marshall" sound to me. One thing nobody seems to be mentioning is the break-up of the V30, almost like a little extra overdrive.

core

Reaction score
I have a 1960A cab loaded with G12T-75's and I am fairly okay with that. A couple of years ago I played a gig using my 2205 head through with an Engl cab (V30's I suppose) and that was one of the best live tones I ever had. Sweet and pronounced mids and a chunky, heavy and cutting sound. So if you have a choice, go with the V30's. There is some reason, why they are the standard speaker for so many cab manufacturers.

Not only that but if you go to Celestion's site a large majority of well known Bands/Guitarists use V30's. More so than any other speaker they make from at first glance. Personally they sound fuller to me which I like over the G12T-75's

Birk

Reaction score
I've got a 1922 cab with one GT75 and one V30. Sounds great to me.

AxisStrat

Reaction score
The Sheffield's smoked all the other speakers. All I use now are XXX Sheffield Speakers. Industry Secret. To each their own. Good luck.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Ha! I'm out of teh crowd. The V30 is the speaker I like least. Too metal/aggressive. I like the smoothness of the G12T-75. My fav is the Blue alnico.

Adrian R

Reaction score

YouTube - Marshall Vintage Modern Demo - Cabinet edition

Dude...
That was way fuckin' cool man! I love this site...That was an awesome, very informative demo bro! One could really hear the differences in the speakers...it was all so very obvious..again BRAVO man....

To me, based on that demo, I thought they all sounded good, however I must admit that the 75s sounded the most 'authentic' to me..but that may be because that is the only speaker I have ever used!

.....great job dude!

invertedjesus

Reaction score
Haven't used a cab with v30s, but I'm REALLY not into ones with 75s... at ALL. I feel like the bottom end muds up (i'm only in half step down...), and my guitar gets lost in the mix. Much more partial to my 800 cab with celestion 65s in it... Just enough low end, and the midrange makes it cut through the mix like no other cab I've ever used.