• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Value of a 1976 MK II 4 input

• Thread starter diamondrecording
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theflyingmat

Reaction score
The question was about the value of a 1976 MKII head,
Answer - Who knows? I tried to sell my 70's one about 6-8 months ago for 300 GBP (work it out in $'s) and got next to no response to my ad. One reply offer my a 20 watt practice amp and some cash as a trade. WTF!
I've since decided to keep hold of it, at least for the foreseeable future.
BTW, the amp was/is in very nice condition with only the old ohm selector changed out for a more robust switch.
I suppose someone missed out in a bargain, going by the first few posts on this thread.

Stay loud and proud dudes.

Skull5

Reaction score
Wow. A book-learnin'-only type of reply. OK, you can look up all of the smoke and mirrors you want, your answer was to the wrong question. If you just need to be right, no one will listen anymore, eventually. Just friendly FYI. Now, to staighten out the confusion, ignore Marshall model #'s as anything more than just that; a 1987X is a reissue Marshall Plexi 50 watt, and so on, and has nothing to do with anything more than trivia surrounding the inception of the product model. I do not give an obese rodent's backside if a '66 Mustang had headlights 1/8th of an inch bigger that an '87 Mustang, which is about the same amount of relativity as the over-complicated, know-it-all BS that was just being spilt on these pages. These reissues are NOT the same; besides sub-standard components (mostly crappy caps) that beg to be upgraded, the older design 4-input model reissues have largely been sabotaged by Marshall. Many have an extra cap, 47pF, in the middle of nowhere in the #1 input circuit that needs to be between 100-500pF. The tiny 47pF causes an avalanche spike at less than 1 on vol #1 when jumpering channels. Jumpering channels is how we get/got that tone that every stompbox for the last 30 years has been attempting to emulate. Incidentally, my EE aside, I still prefer "hands-on" to "what I've read"..! A compulsion to be perceived as right all of the time speaks of deeper issues.

janarn

Reaction score
This part of the "Marshall Forum" is for vintage amplifiers made between
'62 and '73. If you don't care, and if you're not interested in model numbers,
and facts about the amps made in that period, why do you write posts here?

theflyingmat

Reaction score
This part of the "Marshall Forum" is for vintage amplifiers made between
'62 and '73. If you don't care, and if you're not interested in model numbers,
and facts about the amps made in that period, why do you write posts here?

As usual I'm a little bit confused here. Why are those dates so specific? If -hopefully it will be - this forum is still running in 20-30 years, will it still only be those dates which apply, or will discussions regarding JCM800/900/Valvestate/DSL/TSL etc be allowed in this hallowed tome? Basically what am asking is an era, or how old something is, before it's classed as vintage. Is it 20 years, 25 years etc etc? Is it only anything over 36 years old which is okay to call vintage? This seems to be the case going by your post above.
Here's me thinking I have some nice vintage gear, and you're telling me I have not. No wonder my JMP didn't sell obviously people were not interested in a good sounding Marshall amp because it did not fall into the 'Vintage' catagory:(

janarn

Reaction score
As usual I'm a little bit confused here. Why are those dates so specific? If -hopefully it will be - this forum is still running in 20-30 years, will it still only be those dates which apply, or will discussions regarding JCM800/900/Valvestate/DSL/TSL etc be allowed in this hallowed tome? Basically what am asking is an era, or how old something is, before it's classed as vintage. Is it 20 years, 25 years etc etc? Is it only anything over 36 years old which is okay to call vintage? This seems to be the case going by your post above.
Here's me thinking I have some nice vintage gear, and you're telling me I have not. No wonder my JMP didn't sell obviously people were not interested in a good sounding Marshall amp because it did not fall into the 'Vintage' catagory:(
Then you'll have to talk to the people that made this forum.
You pushed a button that said "Lets talk vintage"
"Discussion area for all vintage Marshall amps. From 1962 to 1973."

theflyingmat

Reaction score
Then you'll have to talk to the people that made this forum.
You pushed a button that said "Lets talk vintage"
"Discussion area for all vintage Marshall amps. From 1962 to 1973."

Okay, can anyone answer my question regarding the term 'vintage'?

Is it only Marshalls that fall into this era which are vintage, or only Marshalls mentioned on this forum etc etc?

How old does an amp/guitar etc need to be before it's classed as vintage?

Cheers.

janarn

Reaction score
I don't think that "vintage" is a term that everybody can agree on.
I have seen 30 years, and 25 years used.
Here they have used the term on the handmade "point to point" wired Marshalls, and they also specify the years.

I don't think it is a problem to discuss other amps here,
but it is a bad idea to use this part of the forum,
if you're not interessted in vintage amps from the years spesified,
and think that facts about old Marshalls doesn't belong here.

theflyingmat

Reaction score
You comments make some sense. Even at the ages you spoke about, that would mean anything up to 1984 could be classed as vintage, however not on this section of the forum.

I would propose that the forum admin should start a new section which is simply for "Vintage" amps which are over 25year old. I think most people no matter how much they say things like 'I'm not worried about the age of the amp, I just like the sound' etc, are, deep down quite proud of owning a vintage piece of gear. With not specfic year being stipulated, then the section would be a 'live' item, with differnet models being added each year.

Lastly, I can't understand your last paragraph of your post.

"if you're not interessted in vintage amps from the years spesified,
and think that facts about old Marshalls doesn't belong here."

Once again you reference the specfic years after stating it's no problem to discuss other amps. Also, where elsecan people discuss facts about 'old' Marshalls.

I love my Marsahll amps as you can see by my list of gear below, and I think this is a great site for info and discussion about all amps, not just Marshall. However, I do think there are some elitist attitudes in here about certian type of amps/models etc.

cheers
B

Ken

Reaction score
Okay, can anyone answer my question regarding the term 'vintage'?

In Ferraris "vintage" refers to cars made entirely by hand, which runs through the very early 1970's. I think a good corrollary in Marshalls are those with p to p wiring, as they are essentially hand soldered. I don't know what year they went to the pc's and mechanical soldering but that would be my personal line in the sand. A 308 Ferrari will never be "vintage" and neither should a PC board Marshall. IMHO.

Ken

Procter2812

Reaction score
In Ferraris "vintage" refers to cars made entirely by hand, which runs through the very early 1970's. I think a good corrollary in Marshalls are those with p to p wiring, as they are essentially hand soldered. I don't know what year they went to the pc's and mechanical soldering but that would be my personal line in the sand. A 308 Ferrari will never be "vintage" and neither should a PC board Marshall. IMHO.

Ken

good point there!

theflyingmat

Reaction score
Hi
Oh my! now we seem to be refering to a car maker, rather than other musical instrument makers, such as guitars etc.

I suppose if the guys with these 'vintage' amps want to stay in the the elite group, which in reality will get smaller and smaller as the years go on due to amp breakdowns (I suppose any repairs will make them none standard and therefoe non vintage) etc. It might even be the case that in 20 years time there will be very few working vintage Marshall amps on this earth. Imagine ebay price then. It seems like a failsafe way of keeping investments healthy.

I understand there are people who would like to specific era of manufacture seen as a time when Marshall made classic P2P amps etc. However, I can't see how anyone can call a 35 year old amp not vintage.

Cheers
B

Bunnest

Reaction score
vintage refers to the hand made amps, Point to point hand wired, up to mid '73 would be my line for "Vintage" Marshalls. I have an '81 2203, all pcb, I like it very much, but I woulnd't consider it a vintage Marshall...now my plexis, that's vintage!

theflyingmat

Reaction score
Okay I give up! You 'vintage' buffs have worn me down. Amps from 62-73 are of a particular vintage. A 'vintage' that this forum, and it's users (or some of them) take to be of a period of years mentioned above.

So now I have to live with the fact - and I'm sure this will not only affect me - that I have no vintage gear at all, and probably never will...not even if I keep my gear for the next 100 years. So you folks out there which do not have amps made between 62-73, just learn to live with the fact that you will never own a vintage Marshall, unless of course you manage to come across a totally, unmodified (does that count new valves etc) amp from 62-73 era. Hey, get over it, I've just had to. I'm off to lick my wounds and sell my old gear cheap. I wonder if the Vox forum will allow my 61 Tan AC30 to be vintage.
Take care all you stummers.

Ken

Reaction score
Okay I give up! You 'vintage' buffs have worn me down. Amps from 62-73 are of a particular vintage. A 'vintage' that this forum, and it's users (or some of them) take to be of a period of years mentioned above.

So now I have to live with the fact - and I'm sure this will not only affect me - that I have no vintage gear at all, and probably never will...not even if I keep my gear for the next 100 years. So you folks out there which do not have amps made between 62-73, just learn to live with the fact that you will never own a vintage Marshall, unless of course you manage to come across a totally, unmodified (does that count new valves etc) amp from 62-73 era. Hey, get over it, I've just had to. I'm off to lick my wounds and sell my old gear cheap. I wonder if the Vox forum will allow my 61 Tan AC30 to be vintage.
Take care all you stummers.

Sorry you're so bummed out that your PC board Marshalls are not "vintage". There's a REASON the word "vintage" carries meaning: it refers to early production that was made in a significantly different way than stuff (usually) mass produced that came along later. The fact it's scarce and gets scarcer over time is EXACTLY the point!!!

A 50 year old DSL will never be "vintage", that's just the way it is.

Ken

theflyingmat

Reaction score
Trust me I'm not bothered that according to you guys I don't have a vintage amp. I like my amps, new and old and get a lot of joy out of playing them and the bottom line is that everyone should enjoy what they have. What I can't get on with is people that think they have a right to a 'tag' (in this case 'vintage') when frankly that tag nonsense. I understand that people (including myself) like certain items from a certiain era, which in this case is 62-73. But to claim that anything else made after that date will never be classed as vintage is snobbery of the highest order.
I have asked several of my fellow players what is generally regarded as a vintage amp. The answers vary from 20 to 25 years old.
Go to the Marshall website. You will find that Marshall call several amps vintage.....not all from 62-73. So who's right here? Is old Jim trying to fool folks into thinking that they are buying a RI of a vintage amp, when in fact all they are buying is a RI of an old amp, classics though some of them are.
Don't worry I have attached the link to save you getting a search going.
Marshall Amps :: Vintage Series

I truly think that this forum is one of the best sites I have surfed in a long time. Good threads with good advice etc. Please don't spoil it by spurting out elite views on what is vintage and what is not. I wonder what most of the other forum users think might be classed as vintage. Maybe we need another section for ...........'Classic Era Marshall' Post HW classics:

marantz1300

Reaction score
So my 76 Super Lead is not vintage,but my 73 Hiwatt is.I think "vintage" is all bull. They are just great old valve amps. I think 76 NMV's are about £500 at the moment. Bargains.

theflyingmat

Reaction score
So my 76 Super Lead is not vintage,but my 73 Hiwatt is.I think "vintage" is all bull. They are just great old valve amps. I think 76 NMV's are about £500 at the moment. Bargains.

Let me save you some time here.

As far as the owners of this forum are concerned, your 76 SL is not classed as a vintage Marshall amp. However the general view of the rest, or at least most of the rest, of the world is that, YES your 76 would be classed as vintage.
If you read this thread you will see several views on this issue. I think the owners should start another section for non P2P wired amps. I suggest a name such as 'Classic Marshalls' or 'Heritage' etc. This would tie in with the Marshall offical website.

I'm sure your 76 is great, and I envy your Hiwatt. Enjoy. I agree with some of the prices in the UK at the moment. Just got a great bargain of a JCM900 c/w cab.
Enjoy your amps dude.
B

marantz1300

Reaction score
Fly,I LOVE my Marshall and Hiwatts' tone . I'd still love them whether they are vintage/classic or not. You seem to have a lot of Marshalls.How dose the 900 sound.I might try and snag a 800/900 myself. Unlike old Fenders and Gibsons,(even the 70's ones) the amps are still affordable.

theflyingmat

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, the Marshalls still seem to be affordable to an extent. Unless of course you're trying to bag a early plexi or BB etc.
I've just got the 900. Early impressions are good. The head had been lying unused for a while when I was asked if I would like to buy it. The pots were crackling etc etc. Gave them a squirt of cleaner and fired it up. The sound was nice with my P90 MM, even my usually hard to please bandmates were giving it the thumbs up. It's basic though, but that's how I like it. For more info I have posted on the other section of this forum. Under 'SL-X 2500 50 watt'.
Just getting it serviced as we speak, so can't wait to try it out again.
cheers
B

Cooleycall1

Reaction score
The question was about the value of a 1976 MKII head,
Answer - Who knows? I tried to sell my 70's one about 6-8 months ago for 300 GBP (work it out in $'s) and got next to no response to my ad. One reply offer my a 20 watt practice amp and some cash as a trade. WTF!
I've since decided to keep hold of it, at least for the foreseeable future.
BTW, the amp was/is in very nice condition with only the old ohm selector changed out for a more robust switch.
I suppose someone missed out in a bargain, going by the first few posts on this thread.

Stay loud and proud dudes.

The Marshall Mk 11 1959 SLP Head are worth between $1600 and $2000.00 going by the prices I have seen on eBay and other sites.
My one is a U.K. Model with the original small logo and the three pin Bulgin socket in the back, it has a multi power transformer so when I bring it overseas it works anywhere.I'm not sure why they changed them..
Good luck with your Marshall...!!!!!