Valvestate only with headphones

• Thread starter gottmituns
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gottmituns

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just received a Marshall 8100 Valvestate 100V head bought from Ebay. I'm playing a couple of shows this weekend and I want to test that the head is working but I won't have access to my cabinet until the show.

Since is not an only valves head, would be safe to test that it sounds connecting my headphones through the "Line Out" output in the front panel and no cabinet connected on the back panel?

I don't care about the quality or anything, I just want to test that is working safely.

Sorry for broken english and thank you in advance.

Frodebro

Reaction score
You'll hear if the preamp is working by plugging headphones into the line out (but you'll only hear the preamp through one side of the headphones), but that won't tell you if the power section works or not (the line out comes after the preamp, but before the power amp)

gottmituns

Reaction score
Thanks for answering!

At least is something I can get tested, is better than nothing... Is it 100% safe?

Frodebro

Reaction score
Yes, it's safe. The line out signal is going to be in the same approximate output range as a headphone output would be, but play it safe and start with the volume down and bring it up slowly so that you don't blow your ear out.

Oh, and don't be surprised when the distortion channel sounds really 'buzzy', that's normal because the speaker will filter out all of that high frequency stuff, and the headphones will let you hear it all.

old lefty

Reaction score
does this model have a headphone jack on the back my 150 combo does the instructions say to leave the master volume at zero when using headphones. the channel volumes will work fine but start out low unless you got volume control on your headphones or as the other guys say start out at very low volume