• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

..::video::.. Brown Sound = Low Voltage? 120 Vs 90 Volts!

Del Rei

Reaction score
Hey, guys. :) :)

Just recorded this video some days ago.
I heard a lot of things about VH's Brown Sound being achieved by lower voltage settings. So, I tried it and compared the 120 to 90 volts (using a Variac).

I noticed that the volume goes down in 90V, so I kept the original tracks to compare and then adjusted the 90V tracks to the same volume as 120V tracks (by Reaper) to get a fair comparison.

There must be a lot of others things to consider when talking about brown sound.

liontato

Reaction score
I too have experimented with 120 and 90 volts. 120 the amp is much stiffer and more emphasis on the lows and low mids. 90 the amp is spongier and softer. More focus on the mids and high mids. Harmonics come through easier. It almost has the feel of tube rectification as opposed to solid state rectification....which again is stiffer and hard. 90 volts is more forgiving and articulate in my experience. Eddie definitely used 90 volts on his variac. His tone is very harmonic and fluid. It’s elastic almost....that comes from the lower voltage....and incredible gifting which no one can match in my opinion. His amp tone for his plexi is so distinct. Keep in mind that he also used a load box and ran that into a power amp and then into speakers. That changes tone as well. There are some great articles on that set up.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hey, guys. :) :)

Just recorded this video some days ago.
I heard a lot of things about VH's Brown Sound being achieved by lower voltage settings. So, I tried it and compared the 120 to 90 volts (using a Variac).

I noticed that the volume goes down in 90V, so I kept the original tracks to compare and then adjusted the 90V tracks to the same volume as 120V tracks (by Reaper) to get a fair comparison.

There must be a lot of others things to consider when talking about brown sound.

It does shorten the tube life but,
we normally change tubes before they go weak/bad anyway...so we really don't notice the shorter life.
(we change em when they get noisy, which is a different problem...) Preamp tubes can get noisy before they go weak or bad, so...brown sound isn't what really kills em.

BowerR64

Reaction score
Put a TS in the front with it on 90 and 120 to OD the front end. He used a Vega wireless that over drives the front end, you can see it on the shelf behind him.

Schaffer-Vega-Eddie-Van-Halen-II-Sunset-Studios-LA.jpg

liontato

Reaction score
I’m sorry but I still love Eddie VH. His playing is fiery and very emotive. I still prefer him over the 10,000 imitators and variants who launched off his inspiration. Very unique individual.

wakjob

Reaction score
And now to throw this into the mix:

The most desirable rented amps in LA back in the day had ridiculously high plate voltages on the power tubes.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
For smaller rooms, the lower voltage works better.
Because the amp is cranked way up to get a better tone, but it's not too loud. (less speakers)

In larger venues where the band has a lot of stage loudness, the higher voltage may work out better (more speakers).

And yes, the power tube life is reduced by dropping the filament voltage lower w/ a variac...

But there is other methods which would keep the filament voltage normal / drop the B+ and bias instead.

(this is possible w/ certain replacement power transformers, like Classic Tone example)

And overall:
I like changing the power transformer instead (add rectifier tube), to reduce the loudness, lower the B+ -- compared to other methods.
I like reducing the number of speakers, to reduce the loudness - which is most effective.

I mean, "wattage" is not the key number.
But the voltage and speakers have the most noticeable affect on the final loudness.

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I sometimes use a variable transformer on my "Jose" circuit amp. If you REALLY want to get in the pocket use a Sure wireless transmitter as it adds that unexplained (until now) extra saturation EVH and Angus get with out losing highs like adding a tube screamer can do.

The browned out voltage affects the EQ a bit but really makes sag available.

There are other ways to do it with filtering and lowering the voltage inside the amp it self. Cool thread. Thanks for sharing.

Just my $.02 Sorry if too opinionated tonight lol.

NR

Latest posts