Vintage 1987 vs. SS 5215, or how I learned to stop worrying and love my MOSFET

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night I took some time to play back and forth between my 1987 and my 5215 through the same cabinets. You might be thinking that it’s not quite fair to pit a SS amp against a classic NMV amp, but the 5215 really held up!

Now, my 5215 has been modded at this point. Before the mods it fell pretty short against the 1987. It would seem OK on its own, but once you compared it to the 1987 it became clear that the lows were a little stiff without much depth, and the top end was veiled. After the mods the 5215’s bass has better depth and more of a bounce, but still tighter than the 1987; the top end is crisp and articulate, though without as much harmonic “sizzle” as the 1987.

Overall, comparing the two amps now is more like comparing an old NMV amp and modern MV tube amp. The 5215 is more controlled, punchy and articulate, while the 1987 is more raw and harmonically rich. Two great flavors that sound great together!

I really like the punch of those Hitachi MOSFETs. Obviously they’re not meant to clip like EL34’s, but they can really move some speakers. A properly designed MOSFET power amp supposedly doesn’t have a “sound” of its own, but I think the current feedback mod helped improve the feel of the amp.

That’s my story. I just couldn’t contain how pleased I am with the 5215. Anybody have any more praise for their SS Marshall amps?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Last night I took some time to play back and forth between my 1987 and my 5215 through the same cabinets. You might be thinking that it’s not quite fair to pit a SS amp against a classic NMV amp, but the 5215 really held up!

Now, my 5215 has been modded at this point. Before the mods it fell pretty short against the 1987. It would seem OK on its own, but once you compared it to the 1987 it became clear that the lows were a little stiff without much depth, and the top end was veiled. After the mods the 5215’s bass has better depth and more of a bounce, but still tighter than the 1987; the top end is crisp and articulate, though without as much harmonic “sizzle” as the 1987.

Overall, comparing the two amps now is more like comparing an old NMV amp and modern MV tube amp. The 5215 is more controlled, punchy and articulate, while the 1987 is more raw and harmonically rich. Two great flavors that sound great together!

I really like the punch of those Hitachi MOSFETs. Obviously they’re not meant to clip like EL34’s, but they can really move some speakers. A properly designed MOSFET power amp supposedly doesn’t have a “sound” of its own, but I think the current feedback mod helped improve the feel of the amp.

That’s my story. I just couldn’t contain how pleased I am with the 5215. Anybody have any more praise for their SS Marshall amps?
Hell yea, I love my 3210’s.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell yea, I love my 3210’s.
Rock on. I wanna hear all about everyone’s MOSFETs. 3210, 3310, 5100, 5215, 5213…

When I got my 5215 I felt like it sounded very different from the 3210. Granted, I only ever played through a 3210 once, and heard one at a band rehearsal once. To my ears the 3210 sounded very much like a JCM800, but my 5215 sounds different.

The published 5215 schematic shows that the preamp isn’t the same as the 3210, and mine is even more different. But the MOSFET power amp is very similar.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Rock on. I wanna hear all about everyone’s MOSFETs. 3210, 3310, 5100, 5215, 5213…

When I got my 5215 I felt like it sounded very different from the 3210. Granted, I only ever played through a 3210 once, and heard one at a band rehearsal once. To my ears the 3210 sounded very much like a JCM800, but my 5215 sounds different.

The published 5215 schematic shows that the preamp isn’t the same as the 3210, and mine is even more different. But the MOSFET power amp is very similar.
I rarely play mine on there own, but I do run them with my Dsl40c’s and Origin, by going fx send into the front of the 3210’s . And what a glorious boost they give.
I think I have 2 different clips on my YouTube channel of the 3210’s one with no pedals, only the footswitch, and one with the Vox Tone Lab.
They do scream when you want them to.
Just ask @Neptical .

Neptical

Reaction score
They do scream when you want them to.
Just ask @Neptical .

Yessir!! These SS Marshalls are champs! I almost want to give a try to some of these combos y'all have been speaking of.

In regards to the OP, between my 3315 (big iron champ!) and 3210 heads, I have no problem plugging in to them first over my tube heads. They're seriously that good and do what they do extremely well. A Boss SD-1 in front (like every Marshall should :D) and an MXR 10 Band EQ and they're off to the races.

Great at all volume levels, very warmth tone and can really sing when set up good!

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yessir!! These SS Marshalls are champs! I almost want to give a try to some of these combos y'all have been speaking of.
The combos are cool for being something you can easily throw in your backseat or trunk to take to a jam or a show. BTW, the combo version of the 3315 is the model 5150 - VERY rare 2x12 amp.

The 5215 is cool because of the single 15” speaker, which has a unique midrange voice. But mine was really dark on the treble in stock form, so I tweaked it a bit. The later 5215 amps have a preamp similar to the 3203 Artist, which probably isn’t as woolly sounding.

Latest posts