• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Vintage 30 Question - Made in England?

• Thread starter jgab
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jgab

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a chance to buy some Vintage 30 speakers. According to what I found online, these are made in 15th March 2006? Please correct me if I'm reading the date code wrong.

Anyway, I thought Celestion moved their production to China in 2002?
Are these really made in England?

Thanks Jvintage 30 side mag sticker.jpg

Attachments

• vintage 30 magnet.jpg
    vintage 30 magnet.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 16
  • vintage 30 cones.jpg
    vintage 30 cones.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 14

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about when the move to China happened, but I have 2 newer V30s that have labels that look like this.
20210109_122815-jpg.93237

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Certain speakers are made in Ipswich and others in china.
The Marshall Vintage G12V is made in Ipswch.
The Celestion V30 is/was made in china.

V30, comes from China

(political content removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I don't know the dates, but Celestion "recently" took their production back from China and resumed production in England.

That being said, the Chinese made Greenback reissues and the English made Greenback reissues are exactly the SAME.

Celestion shipped the manufacturing equipment to China, and Chinese workers made those speakers on the same tooling that had previously been in England, and all the parts were the same, all the assembly procedures were the same, the only difference was where they were assembled and who was doing the assembly. Now all that tooling is back in England and English hands do the work.

If I'm looking for a reissue Greenback, I don't care if it was made in China or England. They're the SAME. I have both. I've compared them. They're the SAME. Right down to their sound.

I don't know which models have bounced back and forth between China and the UK, other than the GB reisssues.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I don't know the dates, but Celestion "recently" took their production back from China and resumed production in England.

That being said, the Chinese made Greenback reissues and the English made Greenback reissues are exactly the SAME.

Celestion shipped the manufacturing equipment to China, and Chinese workers made those speakers on the same tooling that had previously been in England, and all the parts were the same, all the assembly procedures were the same, the only difference was where they were assembled and who was doing the assembly. Now all that tooling is back in England and English hands do the work.

If I'm looking for a reissue Greenback, I don't care if it was made in China or England. They're the SAME. I have both. I've compared them. They're the SAME. Right down to their sound.

I don't know which models have bounced back and forth between China and the UK, other than the GB reisssues.

They moved the production back to the UK towards the middle-end of 2018 IIRC.

ken Tucky

Reaction score
It's my understanding that if MIC, the magnet sticker will have a number "50" as the manufacturer code. I would assume the OP's is a UK build based on the photo they provided that displays "IPSWICH ENGLAND" on the magnet sticker.IMG_3267.JPG

JohnH

Reaction score
I think those ones are from China, I think i read UK ones say "made in...."

Anyway, mine are the same age, they sound great.

jgab

Reaction score
It's my understanding that if MIC, the magnet sticker will have a number "50" as the manufacturer code. I would assume the OP's is a UK build based on the photo they provided that displays "IPSWICH ENGLAND" on the magnet sticker.

Yes. It doesn't have a 50 on the sticker, but it doesn't specifically say Made in England either.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The switch over was early 2000's. However, the Celestion Vintage 30 made for Mesa are UK made-not China. If it's a Mesa version it would be UK made in 2007. The Mesa versions have a different T number from Hong Kong made Celestion Vintage 30's. That would settle it.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I am planning on installing these Vintage 30's as the bottom two speakers in my 4x12, with two Blackbacks filling the top two positions. Should sound good I think...

Should be a nice sounding quad!

As far as made in China, your label says England and looks legit to me...why doubt it? Do both speakers have the same label?

Latest posts