• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Vintage Modern anyone?

• Thread starter Alex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Staff Member
Reaction score
I don't currently own one yet, but I've been reading mostly positive reviews about the new Vintage Modern on other sites. One day I'll stop by my local GC to try one. But for now there are videos on YT I've checked out, and I like the sound of the Vintage Modern in this video :dude:

YouTube - Marshall Vintage Modern

Anyone here own a Vintage Modern?

vintage-modern-slash.jpg

lpaholic59Don

Reaction score
I don't currently own one yet, but I've been reading mostly positive reviews about the new Vintage Modern on other sites. One day I'll stop by my local GC to try one. But for now there are videos on YT I've checked out, and I like the sound of the Vintage Modern in this video :dude:

vintage-modern-slash.jpg

I want to try the Vintage Modern Combo 50 watter , I dont play gigs ect large enough to justify 100 watts , or another " stack"

vmmark

Reaction score
Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England

vintage-modern-slash.jpg

Yes i have owned the 2266 50w vintage modern head since the start of the year and its one of the best marshalls that i have used. Every gig i have played so far with my band, i have had only positive comments from people watching about how good it sounds. The only down side is that the reverb is not the best, but i'm not a big fan of using to much reverb anyway. Go and try you wont be dissapointed!

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool

oh well Marshalls always have lousy reverb, you can overlook that,
and just use a stomp box verb or rack verb.

PS Marshall should have this guy do thier Video, because
the guy doing the Marshall demo doesnt really show what it
sounds like like this does.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey they have Blemished Vintage Modren heads at Musicians Freind
for $1,079

JLH

Reaction score
I have a 2266C, It is very nice, the amp has wonderfull tone and hits hard, body and detail lets you adjust to every guitar you play according to the pickup power, however the amp is a true Marshall and breaks up quick like you like.
You wont even begin to appreciate it until you crank on it, while the preamp section is useful until you get the KT 66's hot and bothered you are missing the beauty of this beast, I run mine through a Mark Gregg Ulimate Attenuator and WOW, now your cookin.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
they have a very strange preamp section on them
you ajust the gain by ajusting those two EQs
right?

JLH

Reaction score
yes, once you learn the "body" and "detail" knobs you can dial it in, different not strange?

cameronc20

Reaction score
i bought the 50w head 2 days ago iam 16 and saved for a while am in a band and want to sound the best and we will lol to many people settle for second best solid state crap but i learned everything haha will tell u guys what its like when i get it hopefully friday . cheers

Duppy

Reaction score
I'm really interested in getting a 100w head. On paper they sound perfect by their design, if they sound as good plugged in I need one.

ItsChrispyTv

Reaction score
I got the 2266 head, (50w) I tried the 100w aswell, the only difference is headroom. And to answer your question the vintage modern is a fucking awesome amp, the only reason there is haters is because they have either not tried it or not had it on the right eq settings, it takes a couple of days to find that sweet spot but when you do, its like christmas, its basically a hot rodded plexi, good at low and high volumes! I would buy another if i had more money, i'm planning on a jcm 800 next and then gonna sell the 50w modern for an 100w one. So i can get more speaker distortion!

MKB

Reaction score
they have a very strange preamp section on them
you ajust the gain by ajusting those two EQs
right?
The knobs, Body and Detail, are not really EQ's but are equivalent to the two volumes on a non-master volume Marshall. If you take a NMV Marshall and jumper the inputs, then balance the tone and gain with the two volume knobs, you will basically have the same function as the Body and Detail on the Vintage Modern.

The big secret for great tone on the VM is to keep the master volume above 4. There and up is where the goodies live. Also, compared to most Marshalls, you can set up the VM where it doesn't sound great. But keep working with it and you will find great tones. I have had a 2466 for almost 2 years, and still think it is the best Marshall head I've played in over 30 years of playing them. I still find great new tones with it all the time.

You will find some players that can't stand the VM. I don't understand it, but to each his own (I couldn't stand the TSL I tried out a few years ago).

ItsChrispyTv

Reaction score
The knobs, Body and Detail, are not really EQ's but are equivalent to the two volumes on a non-master volume Marshall. If you take a NMV Marshall and jumper the inputs, then balance the tone and gain with the two volume knobs, you will basically have the same function as the Body and Detail on the Vintage Modern.

The big secret for great tone on the VM is to keep the master volume above 4. There and up is where the goodies live. Also, compared to most Marshalls, you can set up the VM where it doesn't sound great. But keep working with it and you will find great tones. I have had a 2466 for almost 2 years, and still think it is the best Marshall head I've played in over 30 years of playing them. I still find great new tones with it all the time.

You will find some players that can't stand the VM. I don't understand it, but to each his own (I couldn't stand the TSL I tried out a few years ago).

yeah tried out the dsl before i bought the vm and it was bassy as fuck, even with the bass turned down i didn't like it, i think if it had been set up a little better it would've been good but till then, no.........

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I've never understood the "takes time to dial it in" mantra. I've never had a hard time getting a good sound out of it. People make it sound like there is only one sound hidden somewhere in the amp for you to "discover" one day. Heck no...there's a plethora of great tones in there. The trouble is finding the ONE you like best!!!

BluesRocker

Reaction score
It's hard not to get a good sound out of the VM. My 2266 rocks. Perfect cleans and ballsy Marshall overdrive. Best amp I have played on. Everyone needs a Vintage Modern.

Salsg

Reaction score
VMs kick ass. And extremley versatile for a single channel amp.