Vintage Modern Head

• Thread starter kam4ff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kam4ff

Reaction score
So a guy has one listed locally for 650. Frankly I love Marshall sound as I have a Jub and a JCM 800 but Im looking for more of a modern metal tone. I know that a lot of people use Mesas and Bogner and Diezel but I cant afford that. Im considering the VM but I want it to be bad ass metal without any pedals. I cant get there with the Jub and an EQ but Id rather it just be straight amp (not that Ill ever sell that Jub). Any opinions? Also think thats a good price?

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I love my VM and $650 is a decent price.

The VM is more suited for more old-school rock like Zeppelin and AC/DC.

Not really suited for metal without pedals.

I woud recommend another amp for you needs.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
So a guy has one listed locally for 650. Frankly I love Marshall sound as I have a Jub and a JCM 800 but Im looking for more of a modern metal tone. I know that a lot of people use Mesas and Bogner and Diezel but I cant afford that. Im considering the VM but I want it to be bad ass metal without any pedals. I cant get there with the Jub and an EQ but Id rather it just be straight amp (not that Ill ever sell that Jub). Any opinions? Also think thats a good price?

$650 is a good price if it is a 100 watt amp. 50 watt pretty average.

Not Sure what you mean by modern metal tone. Many of these modern tones get covered in the mix due to cut freqs. Very Frustrating!

Among my amps here are a Diezel VH4, Borner Shiva and a 2 channel Mesa Dual Rectifier. I belive you are minimizing your possibilities by discarding the use of a OD pedal to push the amp preamp into "metal" saturation.

Out of the before mentioned amps I by far prefer the tone from my JCM 800 2210 (Split Channel) head pushed with a Boss SD-1. It is a killer of giants IMO. Between it and my Plexi also with a effects loop, there is nothing I can not cover.

Here is the result of the JCM 800 2210 in the Studio:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwz2Mug6ChE]Beautiful Fools Video David C. Hopkins - YouTube[/ame]

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
the two you have NOW are more metal honestly. VM's a great amp but not metal without help. it's basicaly a darker 800,lol.

DSL100,TSL100,900's and JVM's are better bets.

best marshall metal amps imo are
JVM
DSL100
SL-x
MKIII/2210

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Took me a while to figure out this tone chasing stuff too. My children were subjected to it from the start and play Marshalls and Diezels.

Here is more of that same tone you asked about Sir. The Rhythm is the JCM 800 2210. All fills and Solo is a 50 watt Plexi. It adds contrast.

David :cheers:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olo-bwuu6IE]Angel On Your Shoulder by David C. Hopkins - YouTube[/ame]

Username2

Reaction score
Here is a recent track I wrote using a 2466, its about as metal as the amp gets without a pedal. However using low dynamic range with a dirt box will get you all the metal you could want. Like others said, the VM is about great tone not metal.

http://surfnorthwest.com/mp3/northwesttrek.mp3

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
$650 is a good price if it is a 100 watt amp. 50 watt pretty average.

Not Sure what you mean by modern metal tone. Many of these modern tones get covered in the mix due to cut freqs. Very Frustrating!

Among my amps here are a Diezel VH4, Borner Shiva and a 2 channel Mesa Dual Rectifier. I belive you are minimizing your possibilities by discarding the use of a OD pedal to push the amp preamp into "metal" saturation.

Out of the before mentioned amps I by far prefer the tone from my JCM 800 2210 (Split Channel) head pushed with a Boss SD-1. It is a killer of giants IMO. Between it and my Plexi also with a effects loop, there is nothing I can not cover.

Here is the result of the JCM 800 2210 in the Studio:
Beautiful Fools Video David C. Hopkins - YouTube

Nice work, rythm tone is great, but love that lead tone.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
A Vintage Modern for $650 is a great price. It can do metal but it depends on what kind of metal. Ozzy, GNR, Maiden...yes...Opeth, Black Death, Murder Cunt, Norweigen Black Metal...No... (pedals needed).