Vintage Sounding New Marshall Amp

• Thread starter HNS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HNS

Reaction score
Thank you all

Yes the 1987x with an attenuator was what I lusted for. But I agree with what was said, I do need both the MV and the FX loop. I looked at the 2061X, the mini Jubilee and the Astoria. The Jube seems to have most of what I need,

They all sound great on youtube (with compression of course), but do marshalls with low wattage sound vintage, or remotely close to that? if it's only close, then any clone would do or even a Mesa Mark V. We don't have too many places to try marshalls around my neck of the woods in Europe,

HNS

Reaction score
I'm trying hard to find a Modern vintage, it looks like my best bet, but they seem to be very few in my neck of the woods.
I wonder why no one mentioned the JVM 410h? It may not be vintage but sure looks versatile.

Last edited:

ThePitbullofLove

Reaction score
I'm trying hard to find a Modern vintage, it looks like my best bet, but they seem to be very few in my neck of the woods.
I wonder why no one mentioned the JVM 410h?
Could just be me, but I don't find the JVM's very "vintage" sounding.
The DSL does a better "vintage Marshall" sound IMO, but some folks swear by the JVM's I had on in my shop for about two years, and tried hard to love it, but....I just couldn't. I always found them, I dunno....kind of thin sounding? Even with V-30 and Greeback loaded cabs, I never really got the "Marshall Sound" I heard in my head.
JCM800? Sure.
JCM900? Can be dialed pretty well
Vintage Modern? You bet.
DSL? Surprisingly good.
JVM? Just doesn't work for me, but I know guys that love them.

YMMV

HNS

Reaction score
I agree with you, I played one a few years ago and they sounded too gainy for my taste ... that's why I had edited my post just at the same time you were posting.
I hope I can find a vintage modern !Thanks for your input!

HNS

Reaction score
Hey Folks
I finally bought a Vintage Modern 2260 Combo! It'll take some time before it arrives. I hope it's in good shape, I never thought I'd buy an amp with a PCB board, but it was good advice.

I'm looking for a good attenuator for it, a 50-watt amp is something to reckon with for my use. Any good ones around with DI output?

How well made are these amps, I hope the PCB board hangs in there.

JohnH

Reaction score
Many congrats! Im sure youll love it!

Im mainly playing mine at home. Once its gets up to about 3 on the volume (= slightly too loud to not excessively disturb my wifes reality shows in the next room), it sounds fine (actually fabulous) and no attenuator. If im at whisper volume, I use a simple attenuator that I made from two resistors. Its not intended for full power but at the levels I use it, it doesnt even get warm. If you use an attenuator to just take a few db off, then you can use the very good master volume to do the rest.

HNS

Reaction score
Thanks a million
John: I too want to play at home, so what you said about the dual action of an attenuator and the master volume is the way to go. Thanks

Jethro Rocker: That's relief. I know not all PCB boards are bad, but this issue is always in the air.

johan.b

Reaction score
Marshall has used pcb's for the last 40 + years with few complaints or issues. No need to worry. ..but hold on to that Deluxe too. .they are greate amps
J

Reactions: HNS

paulorr8179

Reaction score
I’ve had them all. 1987x with. Pb power brake for that old school Marshall tone. But I highly recommend the Toneking Majesty 15 (royalist). It is el84 that has the best Marshall style tone AND clean of any amp I have ever owned. Built in attenuators ($600 value). 1x12 you can gig with. Non master volume . I dumped all my Marshall’s except my 1988 black jubilee once I played this one.

mbell75

Reaction score
Hey Folks
I finally bought a Vintage Modern 2260 Combo! It'll take some time before it arrives. I hope it's in good shape, I never thought I'd buy an amp with a PCB board, but it was good advice.

I'm looking for a good attenuator for it, a 50-watt amp is something to reckon with for my use. Any good ones around with DI output?

Congrats! If the VM doesn’t work out, do yourself a favor and check out the Fender Bassbreaker 45. As it’s name suggests, it’s a cross between a Bassman and a Bluesbreaker. Slightly modified ‘59 Bassman circuit, 3x12AX7s and 2xEL34s. Sounds like an old school Marshall. It’s basically a ‘67-‘68 JTM50. Has a “both” input to blend the normal and bright channels and most importantly, an output knob that lets you go from 45 watts all the way down to 1 watt. It’s the best Marshall amp that Marshall never built.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks

Nice one, I'm sure you will love it. Take your time to learn how the Body and Detail controls vary not only the gain but the tone. The mid boost button gives a big boost in gain as well as the mids. In fact the only thing I would change on this amp is to have the mid boost on the footswitch instead of the Reverb. I like a small amount of Reverb on everything but then have a TC Hall of Fame in the loop for more extreme settings. The LDR takes an overdrive pedal better than any other Marshall amp I've owned since a 2203 I had in '79.

HNS

Reaction score
I finally received my "new" used Marshall Vintage modern 50W combo. Great Amp no doubt with good sounding vintage tones. I just have two comments
1- The Digital Reverb on the amp is quite lacking
2-The presence knob seems to work very subtly ...has that been the experience with all of them?
cheers

JohnH

Reaction score
The reverb is a very good sim of a plate, but it doesnt get up to huge reverb levels. I have a verb in the fx loop. The amp verb is good for a small amount always on, and I hit the Supernatural Hardwire if I want to get really drippy or just totally freaked out.

The prescence control, being a feature of poweramp feedback, I think; comes more into play at high volume. Yes mine is like you describe.

A great amp overall.