• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

wanted: 'Marshall G12 16ohms Vintage by Celestion' (or 2*8ohms)

• Thread starter jtm-series player
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
can someone by pure chance help me? :fingersx:

Could you be a little more specific? G12M, G12H, G12-65, G12T-75, G12-Vintage30?

You're probably looking for a G12-Vintage30. These speakers are readily available through Celestion dealers. You could also try eBay.

Reaction score
Could you be a little more specific? G12M, G12H, G12-65, G12T-75, G12-Vintage30?

You're probably looking for a G12-Vintage30. These speakers are readily available through Celestion dealers. You could also try eBay.

'Marshall G12 16ohms Vintage by Celestion' - that's all the sticker says!

I'll attach a photo....

Attachments

• DSCF2496.jpg
    DSCF2496.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 41

liamlw

Reaction score
Can someone confirm there are V30s??? Why are the cabs 280w instead of 240watt then? I thought v30's were 60watts each speakers...

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea its the same as the Vintage 30
Exact same
Celestion made them, and Marshall slaped thier
sticker on them

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Can someone confirm there are V30s??? Why are the cabs 280w instead of 240watt then? I thought v30's were 60watts each speakers...
Because Marshall

1- Doesn't (didn't) always correctly tag their cabs in terms of power handling. They might just grab whatever is available.

2- Marshall may rate the cabs/speakers differently than Celestion.

JohnH

Reaction score
I guess there may be no ISO standard for how to rate a speaker power handling, and any rating will have a safety margin in it. So a speaker rated at 60W is not going to blow up at 61W. The ratings are probably somewhat conservative and dependent on interpretation.

Another theory is that when Celestion rates the V30, they have to allow for anybody building it into anything, and they cant control that. Whereas when Marshall rate the same speaker, they know it will be going into one of their own cabs - which are typically closed back and so the internal air volume provides some support against the cone travel. But they also use them in a couple of open-backed combos and extension cabs, so maybe that theory is also doubtful!

John

javier pintos

Reaction score
ask dr decibel at celestion and see if they can suggest you a celestion replacement, that way they can decide which speaker should be a match wich i would say they will recomend the Vintage 30

dr decibel email:drdecibel@celestion.com

they are always fast to answer and i have experience a ping pong email game with them they always come back, what i know is that they will not disclone anything related to their OEM products, however they will explain you what product to use and why you should use it, so give it a try

Reaction score
ask dr decibel at celestion and see if they can suggest you a celestion replacement, that way they can decide which speaker should be a match wich i would say they will recomend the Vintage 30

dr decibel email:drdecibel@celestion.com

they are always fast to answer and i have experience a ping pong email game with them they always come back, what i know is that they will not disclone anything related to their OEM products, however they will explain you what product to use and why you should use it, so give it a try

thanks, but I need this particular speaker

liamlw

Reaction score
I've got one, but I doubt it would be of good use to you as postage cost from Aus to Europe would be crazy.

liamlw

Reaction score
Hey, thought you might be interested...
Apart from the cosmetics it is identical to a Vintage 30. Marshall have
done lots of testing with their amps and cabs and feel OK to rate it at
70W but we rate the V30 at 60W because some amps and cabs give the
speaker harsher treatment than others.

Regards
The Doc

-----Original Message-----
blah blah me asking if it is identical to a 'celestion v30'

MG100

Reaction score
I guess there may be no ISO standard for how to rate a speaker power handling, and any rating will have a safety margin in it. So a speaker rated at 60W is not going to blow up at 61W. The ratings are probably somewhat conservative and dependent on interpretation.

Another theory is that when Celestion rates the V30, they have to allow for anybody building it into anything, and they cant control that. Whereas when Marshall rate the same speaker, they know it will be going into one of their own cabs - which are typically closed back and so the internal air volume provides some support against the cone travel. But they also use them in a couple of open-backed combos and extension cabs, so maybe that theory is also doubtful!

John

As far as I remember from my days a good few years back working in a speaker design lab, the power rating is to do with the level of 3rd order harmonic distortion (%THD). As the speaker is pushed, it begins to clip due to the physical limitations of the voice coil / diaphragm / spider / surround - and yes the cab design plays a part in limiting the cone travel as John outlines above. The clipping introduces ugly sounding odd-number harmonics (predominatly 3rd order) - the point is that your ears should tell you when you are beginning to run the speaker past its rated power due to the unmusical quality before overloading becomes an issue.

As a matter of interest, have many people blown drivers?

/MG